Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 01:11 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Human love is different to the evil the deity displays, that is for sure!
God defines His love and defines what is evil. Those who refuse to serve Him cannot know Him or know His compassion.

The Lord says this;

"Call upon me and I will answer you. I will tell you great things beyond the reach of your knowledge."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 02:22 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Have you flooded a whole planet, got a young girl pregnant and had her child die a terrible death, just to name a couple of the nasty deity's alleged crimes?
Just remember the word "alleged" because it is the real problem. As you have remarked elsewhere, men have ascribed human weaknesses and foibles to God and made Him in THEIR image. This is revealed clearly in their interpretation of righteousness as the primary character of God instead of agape love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
The Biblical emphasis of God's character is righteousness, not love.
QED. Every evil perpetrated by men and ascribed to God can be attributed to this nonsense of righteousness instead of agape love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Love is caring more about another's well-being than one's own.
Amen, but agape is more encompassing than that, Trout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Trout, I agree ........ Yet I believe to love someone that way, you know you are loved yourself and love yourself. We can't give what we haven't got... Silver and gold have I not, but what I do have I give you.
Amen. Excellent point. We cannot give what we do not have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You make the common mistake of lumping the history of a growing awareness of the nature of God in one ethnic group with the revelation and demonstration of that nature in the life and teachings of Jesus. You may also make the common mistake of thinking that the legendary elements of the New Testament are essential to a realization and practice of community with the God Jesus revealed.
"Love." as He used it is a vested interest in the well-being of everyone in any particular situation. Circumstances are far less relevant than how they are dealt with. Personal or spiritual growth is the aim.
Outstanding explanation, nate. Agape love is what is meant and its characteristics (fruits) are described in 1 Cor 13, the Sermon on the Mount, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So the theory is we cannot love outside of God? Does love not exists regardless of our knowledge of God?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's what you got out of what he said?
If God IS love, than when we love or are loved, God is manifested, regardless of what we think we know about God.
Amen, Pleroo! It is important, zthaltzman, to be careful to recognize that our "knowledge" is NOT the deciding factor. When we actually love (agape), we are "born of God" and know God because God IS love. Try to understand what the word "IS" really implies.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:03 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
If any of that actually happened, which is highly unlikely, it just displays the deity's depravity!
As I thought. You haven't even taken the time to read those passages. You just mimic some atheist website. You can't be taken seriously here. You're just a flamethrower.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:00 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
Love is an act of the will, accompanied by emotion, that leads to action on behalf of its object.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Love is an act of the will, accompanied by emotion, that leads to action on behalf of its object.
Which is a sentence, broken by commas, hopefully indicating thought - but alas, not.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Which is a sentence, broken by commas, hopefully indicating thought - but alas, not.
Your expertise of the grammatical arts is unrivaled, without question- I'm sure.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Your expertise of the grammatical arts is unrivaled, without question- I'm sure.
Actually, it's the weakest part of my game.

I am a serial comma abuser and shameless mixer of metaphors. I have benefited often from editors, bless their overworked and undervalued hearts.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:42 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
As I thought. You haven't even taken the time to read those passages. You just mimic some atheist website. You can't be taken seriously here. You're just a flamethrower.

I have read the Bible from cover to cover many times and my opinion of the evil deity hasn't changed!

Old 12-05-2015, 01:33 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Just remember the word "alleged" because it is the real problem. As you have remarked elsewhere, men have ascribed human weaknesses and foibles to God and made Him in THEIR image. This is revealed clearly in their interpretation of righteousness as the primary character of God instead of agape love.
QED. Every evil perpetrated by men and ascribed to God can be attributed to this nonsense of righteousness instead of agape love.

Amen, but agape is more encompassing than that, Trout.
Amen. Excellent point. We cannot give what we do not have.
Outstanding explanation, nate. Agape love is what is meant and its characteristics (fruits) are described in 1 Cor 13, the Sermon on the Mount, etc.

Amen, Pleroo! It is important, zthaltzman, to be careful to recognize that our "knowledge" is NOT the deciding factor. When we actually love (agape), we are "born of God" and know God because God IS love. Try to understand what the word "IS" really implies.
Wasn't that clearly the point I made?

That academic KNOWLEDGE of God does NOT allow us to LOVE any more than a LACK OF academic KNOWLEDGE of God denies us the ability to love.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
I have read the Bible from cover to cover many times and my opinion of the evil deity hasn't changed!
Why did God send a worldwide flood?

Why did God send His son to die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity