Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:50 AM

635 posts, read 754,930 times

Advertisements

I'm at my wits end. I've been doing the dating scene for several months and live in the "Bible Belt." Living here, I thought it would be no problem finding a Christian man. WRONG.

I am having the most difficult time finding someone. Now, I have met Christians, but we just haven't "clicked" on other levels. A person may "say" they are a Christian, but in reality, they have no desire to go to church with me. Or once they find out I'm a Christian, they want nothing to do with me. I have passed on so many men because they don't want a relationship with God.

Is it just me or are people not inclined to go to church nowadays? When I raise that question to guys, they just say they haven't been in years and don't care to go. It seems that it's more my age group (twenties). I'm just getting so frustrated that I'm holding onto my beliefs and it's taking me so long to find a Christian guy. I hope I'm not the only one with this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 11:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Church going is definitely on a significant decline. Besides "christian" means SOO many varied things. WHICH church?

Old 11-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Church going is definitely on a significant decline. Besides "christian" means SOO many varied things. WHICH church?
Like which denomination? I attend non-denominational, but have attended others in the past and wouldn't mind going to my S/Os church. Later in life, I want my kids to experience bible school. I think that's very important. Plus, doesn't the bible mention how the church community is important to be apart of?

I will say I have been lacking in church attendance but that is changing. That's why when I go weekly, I don't want my future S/O to have a problem with it and for him to WANT to go. I don't want it to be forced.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,931,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
A person may "say" they are a Christian, but in reality, they have no desire to go to church with me.
What does that mean? Why do you put "say" in quotes? Are you saying that you are questioning the sincerity of their faith if they don't want to go to church with you?

Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
What does that mean? Why do you put "say" in quotes? Are you saying that you are questioning the sincerity of their faith if they don't want to go to church with you?
Like I said, a person may say they are a Christian, but when I ask how they are acting that out in their faith, all they say is that they believe in God. Again, the Bible wants us to do more than just believe in God. It wants us to surround ourselves with other Christians (fellowship) and to grow more with the Lord, as in reading His word.

I explained in my post what I'm looking for so I don't want this turning into an argument, but the main issue is that I'm coming across MANY people who have issues going to church and I don't know why they would have a problem with it when they state they are a Christian.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:14 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Quote:
I'm at my wits end. I've been doing the dating scene for several months and live in the "Bible Belt." Living here, I thought it would be no problem finding a Christian man. WRONG.
I am having the most difficult time finding someone. Now, I have met Christians, but we just haven't "clicked" on other levels. A person may "say" they are a Christian, but in reality, they have no desire to go to church with me. Or once they find out I'm a Christian, they want nothing to do with me. I have passed on so many men because they don't want a relationship with God.
Is it just me or are people not inclined to go to church nowadays? When I raise that question to guys, they just say they haven't been in years and don't care to go. It seems that it's more my age group (twenties). I'm just getting so frustrated that I'm holding onto my beliefs and it's taking me so long to find a Christian guy. I hope I'm not the only one with this problem.
I remember a person saying she would ask by the 3rd date if the guy went to church, or believed in God?
Most answers were shallow such as: Go to church because it's the thing to do. Go because of family. Not go.
Finally one Catholic said to her that he went to church to worship God and asked her to go to church with him.
She thought he was a spiritual man, but after marriage when a moral issue came up and she referred to a passage of Bible written by the apostle Paul he was angry because that was just Paul writing.
Isn't Paul part of the ' all ' mentioned at 2 Timothy 3:16-17

So, just going to church, or having a small measure of faith, is Not necessarily connected to a way of life.
Jesus' worship was shown by his way of life - Luke 4:43. Jesus' faith had a rock solid foundation - Matthew 7:24-27

Dealing with our now end times of badness on earth we would expect to see the selfish distorted form of love as described at - 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13 - Jesus even posed the question at Luke 18:8 B that when he returns would he find faith on earth ?

So, it is Not you, religious waters ( people ) are drying up spiritually - Revelation 17:1; Revelation 17:15; Isaiah 57:20
That does Not mean biblical knowledge or education does Not exist, but that the majority of people are Not willing or wanting to know more of God's ways - Matthew 7:21-23. There is a lot more information found at www.jw.org

Old 11-29-2015, 04:27 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Perhaps as you become more involved in the church you will find more suitable companions. Look for a Christian Meet-up group in your area, too. Hang in there. Breathe.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Like I said, a person may say they are a Christian, but when I ask how they are acting that out in their faith, all they say is that they believe in God. Again, the Bible wants us to do more than just believe in God. It wants us to surround ourselves with other Christians (fellowship) and to grow more with the Lord, as in reading His word.

I explained in my post what I'm looking for so I don't want this turning into an argument, but the main issue is that I'm coming across MANY people who have issues going to church and I don't know why they would have a problem with it when they state they are a Christian.

You truly, CANNOT understand (or assess) a person's spiritual path based on such minor things such as whether or not they attend a building church. I mean, perhaps where you are on your path, you believe you must do steps 1-5 in the correct order in order to be a christian. But for a lot of people it's not that way at all. Perhaps you are putting too much pressure on others and on yourself.

I'm sure you will find plenty of people who are on the same spiritual path as you.
But just remember, where you both are now... may be completely different 10 years from now.
You may still be on a similar path, or you may be miles apart.

Let things happen naturally.
It's usually the best way.

peace,
sparrow

Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Aren't Christians expected to attend and regularly meet together according to Hebrew 10:24-26 ?
Not the building in itself, but regularly meeting together in order to encourage one another.
Is an undedicated person suitable for Christian marriage ?

Old 11-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Aren't Christians expected to attend and regularly meet together according to Hebrew 10:24-26 ?
Not the building in itself, but regularly meeting together in order to encourage one another.
Is an undedicated person suitable for Christian marriage ?

Is a judgmental person suitable for Christian marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity