Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 12:13 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
How? Abraham followed Gods commands and was referred to as a Hebrew
Genesis 14:13
A man who had escaped came and reported this to Abram the Hebrew. Now Abram was living near the great trees of Mamre the Amorite, a brother of Eshkol and Aner, all of whom were allied with Abram.

The word Jew doesnt even show up until the book of Ezra, so its clear Adam, Noah, Moses were all Hebrews NOT Jews.

Jews claim its a lifestyle and Christianity is a religion, but ignore that Hebrew is a lifestyle as well and not a religion.

And the bible also says if you came into a Israel community and followed their laws, you were counted as a Hebrew/Jew etc and you follow the same rules.
I believe they were Hebrews up until Mt. Sinai...However, Abraham was the first Hebrew...

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Judah and Benjamin were the two Southern tribes.
There were some Benjamites up north....

Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Jewish law determines who is a Jew.
That's what I've always thought.

Why there are some Christians who seem to think they can decide who is a Jew and who isn't...I do not know.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:21 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What do you mean?

Paul WAS A JEW.

You are proving a Jew is a Jew?

Why do you suppose that everyone who comes from Abraham is a Jew?
I demonstrated that contrary to Tzaphkiel's claim, a Jew who receives Christ as Savior does not cease to be a Jew. A distinction must be made between the person and the religion. A racial Jew is a Jew whether or not he follows the religion of Judaism.

Nor did I say that everyone who comes from Abraham is a Jew. I said that anyone who is descended from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is a Jew (or Hebrew).

Old 12-14-2015, 12:24 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,373,311 times
Hiker, you're a smart man. The original question in the OP is not answerable in this forum. You asked it for the sheer comedy of the responses you'd get. Well done.

Of course the Chrstians would treat this family well. They're not the ones being attacked. Nor can Chrstians understand what it means to be constantly under spiritual existential attack. The Chrstians in this forum cannot possibly see that the family mentioned in the OP is attempting to unravel and destroy the Jewish people. You can love them, but we Jews are being kind by only shunning them.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:37 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
see post #80
Post #80 is irrelevant. Your not wanting to discuss the matter does not alter the fact that a racial Jew (or Hebrew if you prefer) remains a Jew regardless of whether he is a follower of Judaism. What the apostle Paul said makes that clear.

Acts 21:39 Paul replied, “I am a Jew (Ioudaios), from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no obscure city. I beg you, permit me to speak to the people.”

Acts 22:3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated at the feet of Gamaliel according to the strict manner of the law of our fathers, being zealous for God as all of you are this day.

Paul, a follower of Jesus, states that he is a Jew. He did not cease to be a Jew when he recognized that Jesus was the Messiah.

But having made the matter clear, there's no need for me to say anything further on the subject. If you choose not to believe the apostle Paul, that's your choice.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:50 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
And what you are describing is ignorant and deeply offensive to Jewish people. "Completed Jew"? How obnoxious can you get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm a Christian and I've never even heard the term "completed Jew".

As for the rest of your post: I'd like to say to the Jewish community: "We're not all like this."
I think you're being a little harsh on the poster as regards the term she used. Not defending the rest of the post, which only served to inflame. Yes, I understand "completed Jew" would sound offensive to the average Jewish person. However, it's a term coined by Jew-to-Christian converts that they use to describe themselves.

I first read that term in an article written by a converted Jew maybe 25, 30 years ago. In the other thread in which I related the story of my friend who is a Jewish woman who converted to Christianity, I mentioned that she refers to herself that way. I suspect it may have come out of the Jews-For-Jesus movement, since her brother was active with them in the early days.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you're being a little harsh on the poster as regards the term she used. Not defending the rest of the post, which only served to inflame.
My problem was with the rest of the post.

Which I could have made clearer.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
As I said earlier in this thread, being Jewish and believing in the Chrstian man-god is mutually exclusive. Jews who come to believe in Jesus have given up their world to come. Chrstians who help Jews arrive at such a state also give up their world to come. We Jews all know this - the Chrstian leaders, I guess, have skin in the game to hide this from their proselytizing flocks.
I know you already know this, TFF, but I think it bears repeating--not all Christians sects believe that Jews are fair game for proselytization. I personally would feel that it would be an affront to God were I try to lure a Jew away from that which was given to them by God. Our branch of Christianity, and others, have made official statements in the past that what we believe in no way cancelled out God's covenant with the Jews.

I just provide that for information, as some people seem unaware of this.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Just out of curiosity where the heck do you all live that such intolerance is taking place? I have every religion known to man in my city and a Buddhist temple across the street from me. Not part of their beliefs but nicest people ever. There are Korean churches,Jewish tabernacles, Catholic, Christians,mormans,Jehovah witnesses just to name a few and no trouble whatsoever between them or within their specific groups which tells me they are honoring their God the way they should be.
I've got all those people just in my OFFICE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity