Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 06:31 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
No, I did not ask him.
Tsk Tsk Tsk...Now where is my rolled-up newspaper...

Old 12-13-2015, 06:32 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Not sure if you understand this...Jewish folks believe there was a Jesus..Just not that he was the Son of God..but a prophet...This is how it was explained to me anyway many times from various Jewish observant people of many age groups.

They also believe he was not an Evil Prophet, but a man of God..just didn't elevate him like Christians did.
this is not correct
Judaism does not recognize Jesus as a prophet, you are describing Islam, that is the party-line in Islam

there have been many "false messiahs" in Judaism who did not fulfill the criteria set forth in Judaism, Jesus could fall into that category

NO Jews do not see him as a "man of God"
NO Jews do not see him as a "prophet"

WRONG WRONG WRONG
your sources are not Jewish and do not represent Judaism; particularly not any observant Jews.
what you are describing is Islam

Jesus is totally absent from Judaism, just like Buddha and Confuscius and Lao Tzu are totally absent from Judaism.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:37 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It's not like Jewish people refuse to utter Jesus' name??? So what's the beef??

I don't understand what the "beef" is.

If you care, go to the Judaism forum and ask them.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, he wasn't G-d in the flesh and be specific because there are Christian denominations that do not believe that Jesus is G-d...

many/most Christians of a "traditional" bent (think most Catholics,Eastern Orthodox, Lutherans, Baptists, etc.) at least in their public and official statements of faith believe and confess that Christ is indeed divine/God Incarnate and enroll/baptize/initiate "full" members into their faith community with some kind of formal statement of that belief---- those who do not (God bless them) probably would not have a big problem in this case with someone who doesn't. however, the orthodox Jews in this situation very likely do still "officially" wait for a Messiah for the consolation of Israel and very likely believe Jesus was and is NOT that Messiah and like the (more "traditional" type) Christians in my "thought experiment" they would likely have a harder time dealing with someone who essentially publically rejects a key element in their faith.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-13-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 06:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
You are describing a family that Christians call a completed Jew. They have acknowledged that Christ was born and shed His blood for their sins. Now you understand from the example set by the Jewish community against this family why hate and dislike continue. God must be so pleased with the Jewish community.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
May God bless this family and help them to live their beliefs in peace and security wherever they go. of course they should be welcome everywhere---whatever their religion---and why shouldn't children be allowed to play with other children? yes, I would do my best to welcome them as fellow Christians and children of God even if their beliefs and practice may be different than mine.
That is a very nice post! I think you are the only one who directly addressed my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
one may and should feel great sympathy for the folks who want to follow the Torah as Jews and believe in Christ as well.
I don't understand why we should feel sympathy for people who have found religious beliefs that suit them. Since the Torah was written hundreds of years before Jesus lived, I think a person could easily observe the Torah and still believe in Jesus.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
this is not correct
Judaism does not recognize Jesus as a prophet, you are describing Islam, that is the party-line in Islam

there have been many "false messiahs" in Judaism who did not fulfill the criteria set forth in Judaism, Jesus could fall into that category

NO Jews do not see him as a "man of God"
NO Jews do not see him as a "prophet"

WRONG WRONG WRONG
your sources are not Jewish and do not represent Judaism; particularly not any observant Jews.
what you are describing is Islam

Jesus is totally absent from Judaism, just like Buddha and Confuscius and Lao Tzu are totally absent from Judaism.
Stated simply, the Jewish view of Jesus of Nazareth is that he was an ordinary Jewish man and preacher living during the Roman occupation of the Holy Land in the first century C.E. The Romans executed him - and also executed many other nationalistic and religious Jews - for speaking out against Roman authority and abuses. - The Jewish View of Jesus

Jewish link...

CNN

And overwhelmingly, they are coming up with positive answers, urging their fellow Jews to learn about Jesus, understand him and claim him as one of their own.

"Jesus is a Jew. He spent his life talking to other Jews," said Amy-Jill Levine, co-editor of the recently released "Jewish Annotated New Testament."

"In reading the New Testament, I am often inspired, I am intrigued. I actually find myself becoming a better Jew because I become better informed about my own history," she said.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, a media personality who recently launched a bid for a U.S. House seat, argues in his own new book, "Kosher Jesus," that "Jews have much to learn from Jesus - and from Christianity as a whole - without accepting Jesus' divinity. There are many reasons for accepting Jesus as a man of great wisdom, beautiful ethical teachings, and profound Jewish patriotism."

And Benyamin Cohen, an Orthodox Jew who spent a recent year going to church, admitted that he's jealous that Christians have Jesus.

"He's a tangible icon that everybody can latch on to. Judaism doesn't have a superhero like that," said Cohen, the author of the 2009 book "My Jesus Year."

"I'm not advocating for Moses dolls," he said, but he argued that "it's hard to believe in a God you can't see. I'm jealous of Christians in that regard, that they have this physical manifestation of the divine that they can pray to.

"There could be more devout Jews than me who don't need that, but to a young Jew living in the 21st century, I wish we had something more tangible," he said.

The flurry of recent Jewish books on Jesus - including this month's publication of "The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ" by Daniel Boyarin - is part of a trend of Jews taking pride in Jesus, interfaith expert Edward Kessler said.

"In the 1970s and 1980s, Christian New Testament scholars rediscovered the Jewish Jesus. They reminded all New Testament students that Jesus was Jewish," said Kessler, the director of the Woolf Institute in Cambridge, England, which focuses on relations between Jews, Christians and Muslims.

A generation later, that scholarship has percolated into Jewish thought, he said, welcoming the trend: "It's not a threat to Jews and it's not a threat to Christians." - Jews reclaim Jesus as one of their own – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Old 12-13-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I don't understand why we should feel sympathy for people who have found religious beliefs that suit them. Since the Torah was written hundreds of years before Jesus lived, I think a person could easily observe the Torah and still believe in Jesus.
You are an atheist. Your only interest is to stir the pot and belittle the religious every chance you get. Now is no different.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
You are describing a family that Christians call a completed Jew. They have acknowledged that Christ was born and shed His blood for their sins. Now you understand from the example set by the Jewish community against this family why hate and dislike continue. God must be so pleased with the Jewish community.

That sound a little Anti-Semitic...

Old 12-13-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
urging their fellow Jews to learn about Jesus, understand him and claim him as one of their own.

"Jesus is a Jew. He spent his life talking to other Jews," said Amy-Jill Levine, co-editor of the recently released "Jewish Annotated New Testament."..."In reading the New Testament, I am often inspired, I am intrigued. I actually find myself becoming a better Jew because I become better informed about my own history," she said.

... "Jews have much to learn from Jesus - and from Christianity as a whole - without accepting Jesus' divinity. There are many reasons for accepting Jesus as a man of great wisdom, beautiful ethical teachings, and profound Jewish patriotism."

...he's jealous that Christians have Jesus. "He's a tangible icon that everybody can latch on to. Judaism doesn't have a superhero like that...it's hard to believe in a God you can't see. I'm jealous of Christians in that regard, that they have this physical manifestation of the divine that they can pray to.

...part of a trend of Jews taking pride in Jesus, interfaith expert Edward Kessler said.

"It's not a threat to Jews and it's not a threat to Christians." -
Wrong, Richard. It is a threat to Jews, and it is deeply offensive to Jews. What you post is exactly where it belongs: teachings of Christianity in the Christianity forum.

What you are promoting and peddling and preaching, Richard is Christianity. For a Jew what you are promoting is idolatry and heresy.
What you are peddling is not Judaism. This is Christianity seeking to annex Judaism, annihilate Jews, and implement revisionist history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity