Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,387 times

Advertisements

1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM

40 posts, read 300,293 times
The Bible is not meant to be taken literally. It was written over 2000 years ago by people who could never have foreseen the world in which we now live in.

However, much can be learned from the book. Regarding this particular passage, it's wiser to think less about spending eternity in Hell and more on where the hatred comes from and how it can be resolved.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Sure - but some would suggest if we lose "eternal life" (whatever you think that means) that we go to an eternal hell. Perhaps they are literalists who suggest this...

For them I ask what does the above verse mean? What if I hate someone a little bit right at the moment I die? A man breaks into my house, shoots my family. In that moment of terror I hate that man. He then kills me. Have I doomed myself to hell?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Sure - but some would suggest if we lose "eternal life" (whatever you think that means) that we go to an eternal hell. Perhaps they are literalists who suggest this...

For them I ask what does the above verse mean? What if I hate someone a little bit right at the moment I die? A man breaks into my house, shoots my family. In that moment of terror I hate that man. He then kills me. Have I doomed myself to hell?
If you have faith in Christ you have eternal life, and a slip will not take it away from you.

The chapter talks about people who continue to live in willful and habitual sin, and therefore are not saved.

1 John 3 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM

200 posts, read 252,268 times
Quote:

<SARCASM>C'mon, Lego. Rules are rules.</SARCASM>

Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you have faith in Christ you have eternal life, and a slip will not take it away from you.

The chapter talks about people who continue to live in willful and habitual sin, and therefore are not saved.

1 John 3 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
First you say a slip will not take eternal life away from you. But then you say if I sin I am not saved. What is a "slip" but if not a sin? I have faith in Christ but I still sin. I admit it.

So am I going to hell then because I still sin? Are you saying you don't sin anymore? I don't want to sin, but sometimes I do and sometimes it is willful. The new man in me doesn't want to sin but the carnal man in me does want to sin.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,555,109 times
No. There are sometimes valid reasons to hate someone.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
First you say a slip will not take eternal life away from you. But then you say if I sin I am not saved. What is a "slip" but if not a sin? I have faith in Christ but I still sin. I admit it.

So am I going to hell then because I still sin? Are you saying you don't sin anymore? I don't want to sin, but sometimes I do and sometimes it is willful. The new man in me doesn't want to sin but the carnal man in me does want to sin.
Read carefully what I said: The chapter talks about people who continue to live in willful and habitual sin.

Willful and habitual is not a slip, but intentional. We all slip and sin one way or another, but the Holy Spirit has made us sensitive to sin, and we don't do it willingly and habitually. The Bible also says we are "dead to sin", but that does not mean we never sin. It means our desire to live in continuous sin is dead.

That is how I understand the chapter.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
If one truly has "eternal" life, they cannot lose it; otherwise, it would not be "eternal." One receives "eternal" life by the grace of God, through faith in Christ Jesus. One knows they have "eternal" life, because they are 'born again' in God's indwelling Holy Spirit and their life begins to change from the inside out.

If one does not truly have "eternal" life, they have nothing to lose, whether they hate or not. If one claims to have "eternal" life ... yet, hates, ... they are essentially "guilty of murder" --- and perhaps, need to revisit their own Salvation. I've seen folks come to the altar to accept Christ, but leave their 'religion' there, in place of their heart ... and still be just as 'lost' as an Easter egg.

One is neither saved or lost by good or bad works. Works, however, are a good reflection of the true condition of one's heart. The determination of Salvation or Hell is based on one's response to Jesus Christ, not one'w works or behavior.
"Born Again" is something God does, not what we do; ... and God doesn't make mistakes.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Read carefully what I said: The chapter talks about people who continue to live in willful and habitual sin.
I guess I don't see where you are getting that.

1 John 3:9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10
This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

It doesn't say anything about willful/habitual sin. It says they cannot go on sinning, they won't continue to sin - period.

It even says those who do not do what is right is not God's child. I know sometimes I do the right thing, but sometimes I do not do the right thing.

Likewise we see the statement about love re-iterated: anyone who does not love is not God's child.

Love is the most important thing here: because to love is to know God, because God is love.

But how does this all relate to "eternal life"? If we do not love, we do not have "eternal life".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity