Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,457,670 times

Advertisements

Peace and tranquility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,457,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Heaven to me is me living in a little cottage on a beautiful lake (or ocean, I'm not fussy) with the girl of my dreams making love to her for eternity and---most important---it ALWAYS feeling like the first time!

But, as doubts about an afterlife are slowly starting to creep in, I despair of ever having it.
Hope it's a place where dreams come true.
Otherwise, you might be disappointed.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 PM

18,255 posts, read 17,001,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
73 virgins.

How does a 73-year-old virgin grab you?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 AM

9,702 posts, read 10,070,675 times
These 73 virgins come from a Muslim ideas , as not something they copied from Christian ........Heaven to here is the headquarters of God and the eternal throne of God were you go there and stand before God and you would be on your knees not being able to stand ........................ Still God keeps all the people who passed the judgment of Christ as they got there by the protection of God through Holy Spirit ....... Some believe that there will be no one there until Jesus at the last day , but that may be just a literal interpretation as there are People there today and many are still coming ...................... See there will be work or the people of God to do in heaven , and people will still have to be with God by faith , were heaven will be there Home for ever ................... So if people do not know that they are going to heaven , then they have to seek the Lord out and do what He said , and receive Jesus spirit with repentance and faith , not by the doctrines of men which pushes God away and may be critics of Jesus, as many fail and are greater critics of Jesus very salvation

Old 01-04-2016, 06:46 AM

18,532 posts, read 9,222,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
These 73 virgins come from a Muslim ideas , as not something they copied from Christian ........Heaven to here is the headquarters of God and the eternal throne of God were you go there and stand before God and you would be on your knees not being able to stand ........................ Still God keeps all the people who passed the judgment of Christ as they got there by the protection of God through Holy Spirit ....... Some believe that there will be no one there until Jesus at the last day , but that may be just a literal interpretation as there are People there today and many are still coming ...................... See there will be work or the people of God to do in heaven , and people will still have to be with God by faith , were heaven will be there Home for ever ................... So if people do not know that they are going to heaven , then they have to seek the Lord out and do what He said , and receive Jesus spirit with repentance and faith , not by the doctrines of men which pushes God away and may be critics of Jesus, as many fail and are greater critics of Jesus very salvation
Do you have an automatic fundamentalist Christian quote generator?

Old 01-04-2016, 06:46 AM

20,185 posts, read 13,613,400 times
I can give you two versions.

One -- formerly embraced by me as an evangelical -- was presented to me primarily as a place where, yes, we would be forever close to god and see him in his fulness. But a close second was that it was always presented as a place where "every tear will be wiped away", that is, all the closure and answers to questions that you could wish for -- and a close third was provided by the imagery of "in my father's house are many mansions" where it was depicted as each person having their own home and never having any sort of poverty or want. I clearly remember one of my Sunday School teachers relating that a little Southern girl once asked, "Will there be fried chicken in heaven?" And the answer was, of course, if you want it. So that last, more traditional concept of heaven as a cornucopia of whatever your heart desires was there, too.

The second version of course is my present one as an atheist, which is I see no good reason to believe in or expect any sort of afterlife, much less such a fanciful one, or any of the fanciful ones presented by the various religions. It is possible, of course, just as possible (and unlikely) as the existence of any deities, and if it turns out there is some kind of afterlife, I'll just have to deal with it. But considering how much my religion of origin promised for this life and didn't deliver, I have always figured that any "heaven" would just be SSDD (same s__t, different dimension). Why are afterlives always idealized? It's terribly convenient. No one ever conceives of an afterlife as simply another life that comes after this one. It wouldn't be sexy enough. Wouldn't sell enough linear feet of church pews.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:59 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,634,785 times
I actually never think about it. I concentrate my best efforts for a good life in the here and now. So far, so good.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:57 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,442,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I can give you two versions.

One -- formerly embraced by me as an evangelical -- was presented to me primarily as a place where, yes, we would be forever close to god and see him in his fulness. But a close second was that it was always presented as a place where "every tear will be wiped away", that is, all the closure and answers to questions that you could wish for -- and a close third was provided by the imagery of "in my father's house are many mansions" where it was depicted as each person having their own home and never having any sort of poverty or want. I clearly remember one of my Sunday School teachers relating that a little Southern girl once asked, "Will there be fried chicken in heaven?" And the answer was, of course, if you want it. So that last, more traditional concept of heaven as a cornucopia of whatever your heart desires was there, too.
<snipped>
I had a very similar view when I was a Christian, and have a similar story to the fried chicken: a pastor answering someone wondering about pets in heaven, that if you needed your pet there to make you happy, then it would be there. But, it was clear to me at the time that he was simply saying that to give the peace to an "immature" Christian who didn't yet understand that they wouldn't need anything other than God/Jesus in heaven to be perfectly happy and fulfilled.

As an ex-Christian, I admit that I think much less about what an existence beyond this one would be like because how can we really know? But, if there is one (and it makes sense to me that there is), I assume it would be a continuation rather than a culmination, because it sure seems to me that we've all got a lot of growing to do. I'd like to think we'll all be helping and encouraging each other in that process, which is what I think we're supposed to be (ie. have the opportunity for the privilege of) doing in the here and now, as well.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,288,429 times
Thanks much for all your replies. Hope to get a few more.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,129,284 times
Heaven to me is everyone being loved, admired, respected and accepted by one another unconditionally, Heaven also to me will be similar to Earth but without all of the wars, violence, terrorism, greed, poverty, corruption, destruction, filth, perversion, hatred, racism, crime, illness, diseases, anger, fears, sorrows and selfishness that is plaguing this earth, everyone's good desires and dreams will be fulfilled to the fullest extent along with so much more.

I would also love to eat all of my favorite meals without worrying about getting fat or having health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity