Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
An elderly couple arrived in heaven. They had both died in a car crash.

St Peter led them to their personal mansion and said, "everything you could want is here." The man noticed that there was a table full of all his favorite foods. "I can't eat these," he said. "Why not?" asked Peter. "Because it's fattening. It will clog my arteries."

"No, you don't understand, my son," said Peter. This is heaven. You can eat your fill of anything your heart desires, and it won't harm you in any way or cause you to gain weight."

Suddenly the man pitched a complete fit and started yelling incoherently and throwing things. His wife went to calm him down. "Edgar, whatever IS the matter?"

The man turned to his wife and said, "If it wasn't for your damned bran muffins we could have been here 10 years ago!!"
Ha!

Too soon etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,952,248 times
I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius I think we all lived before this Earth was created, and maybe we had to be shown a world like this in order to learn what true evil was, and what it was to have learned it. Maybe it will be that everyone is welcomed right back into the kingdom and they suddenly realize what had happened and why we had to be shown what it was to know good..
(or in my view, to know what LOVE truly is. and it's immense power.)

In a simple view, not getting very detailed:

I would like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
... living in a little cottage on a beautiful lake (
with Mr.Sparrow.
The little cottage is surrounded by woods.
and beyond the woods is a whole beautiful earth.
all to ourselves. (I love people. But I like to be alone.)
I can always go visit others, or have visitors... but really, I'd just like to have a huge place all to ourselves.

and I am..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn
reunited with the people and animals and things we loved while on Earth.
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
... everyone being loved, admired, respected and accepted by one another unconditionally

and therefore I will have much:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Peace and tranquility.
The End.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:13 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,031,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So many of my peeks into the Afterlife come from the James E. Padget
messages from the Other Side.
And the, of course, Anthony Borgia's, "Life in the Unseen World"! 5 stars.
Both online.

Then, you have the glimpses of the NDErs...but those were only glimpses.

Oh, how could I forget ( available online and Netflix), ' Astral City: A Spiritual Journey'
By Chico Xavier...a medium extraordinaire!

[hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/364775]taAjhH6K9NeJlzOjGb2-2A[/hulu]
Thanks for sharing your glimpses. I've just nearly finished the Spirits book by Kardec. It's not entirely the material I know I should be reading, by which I mean that I think the task or challenge is to become more Christ like, or filled with the Holy Spirit, and live out of the overflow of Him in us - spiritism doesn't understand this concept of being indwelt by God Himself - so in a sense I can understand the classical objection Christianity has with spiritism (and I think it is my objection too), I.e it is not God centric - it is just spirit world centric. If we posses the Revelation that He will be All in All, there becomes no value in getting waylaid on the path to the truth.

However, I've just found the James Padgett website, and wondered if I should click on the 'contact' link....

Old 01-05-2016, 06:46 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,373,559 times
I won't tell you what Heaven is to me. I'll tell you what Heaven is.

Heaven and Hell are the same place. Why do I say this?

• We are told that humans ate the Tree of Knowledge, knowing Good and Evil. We are told that this would make them "like God" but this was a lie from Satan. So actually, what we have is humans that before had no concept of Good and Evil, and were in the presence of God. But after eating, humans were driven away from the presence of God.
  • We are also told that "God is One" through the Sh'ema Yisrael (spelling?). This means that the world of Heaven, is the world of God, and is a world of Unity. By extension, this means the world of Earth, is by all information given, a world of Separation, of Light/Dark split.
  • Hell is effectively Earth or Heaven gone wrong. That is, this Earth can be a place where we all have enough to eat, where people are welcome no matter what they are or what they are like, and without suffering (this is actually what we imagine as Heaven, and is really the New Earth). Or, it can be a mess where people starve, people are discriminated against for being different, and where war and pain prevail. Likewise, Heaven can be a paradise of life with God (imagine, perfect bliss, being able to do anything or have anything you want). However, Heaven can also be a torture of loneliness, because this is a place where you are one with God, I assume this means you are God (your despair makes things bad).
  • The goal of life is not to end suffering, but to create a better world. A New Heaven and New Earth.

In short, when you die, you go to Heaven, But because you have a skewed pessimistic view, this sometimes results in, not God punishing you, but you punishing yourself. Because this is what happens, until you realize you don't need to stay there.

I once saw a short film, where this crowd of people had died, and were in Limbo, waiting to be told to go somewhere. "Someone will take us to Heaven" some said. Others were worried about being taken to Hell. Still others had decided this was Purgatory, and once their sins were washed away they would be ready to go. One person wanted to leave. "Who will go with me?" Everyone was too scared. But he went anyway. They walked out the door of the building (which was apparently a train depot), and kept walking past a forest, into a small quaint house. There was a man there, who talked with the person. The person asked about the people in the depot. The person was told that they were free to leave any time, to come talk with him.

Oh yes, I loved Astral City! Also, What Dreams May Come.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:31 AM

483 posts, read 667,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
How does a 73-year-old virgin grab you?
With wrinkled hands?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Good stuff, folks. Thanks.

(Keep 'em coming.)

Old 01-05-2016, 10:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I am going with a hologram.
Of course, we're holograms!

A bunch of atoms that are holograms, vibrating certain ways to appear as
a bunch of atoms adhering together to appear to the senses as this body.
Quantum physics says we're 99.99999% empty space...dah.

Ah, this 3rd dimension is a freaking trip.

There's about as much space between all the parts of one atom as
a football field to ....well, the distance of a football field
and Tom Coughlin today.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 01-05-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,995,765 times
In Orthodox Christianity heaven is the view of the uncreated Light of Trinitarian God which makes you feel great happiness and peace. Hell is another view of the light of God which makes you feel sad and you suffer because you are still a sinner and far from God. You feel that this Light burns you and you don 't feel the happiness on it. You can 't understand God, you can 't feel God inside you when you commit sins and you are far from God.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
However, I've just found the James Padgett website,
and wondered if I should click on the 'contact' link....
Was that a joke...because it sure made me laugh!!!! Contact....

Here, this is something Constantine said from the Other Side to Mr. Padgett around 1914
...paraphrased from memory.
With all the force in me I tell you...ask for the Father's Divine Love.

Here is something Jesus said, from my memory...

The Father's Divine Love is the only thing that transforms the human soul.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

See, this is why I say...the heart knows ...the spirit in us knows when something rings true.
And yet, it didn't come from a Bible.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:03 AM

18,256 posts, read 16,970,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Do you mean to feel like an 'experienced first timer'?

Yeah, that's one way of putting it. I can explain it this way: you know how couples married for 30 years complain (and often divorce over) about how the sex is non-existent and stale and boring when it is an they only do it once a month if that? Well, in heaven none of that will exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity