Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:14 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Here is an inconvenient truth that a few Biblical scholars know about but that the vast 99% of Christianity does not:

Paul is the man who "invented" the idea that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

Astonishing? Not really when you follow the timeline.

Paul was the first writer of the New Testament to even mention the idea that Jesus resurrected from the dead. Any Christian not in the know will tell you Matthew first wrote about it and then subsequent gospel writers but that's what the church presbyters had in mind when they placed in order the books of the New Testament: They deliberately placed the gospels first and not even in order of composition--the actual order is Mark, Matthew, Luke and John---so that they could give readers the idea that Paul merely followed the tradition laid down by the gospels when the exact opposite is true:

Paul laid the foundations of Christian belief as the New Testament's first writer and the gospel writers followed Paul's lead.

In case you don't know, Paul is the first to come up with the doctrines of

1. substitution atonement,
2. propitiation,
3. the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
4. salvation by grace through faith
5. the resurrection of the dead at the Last Judgment

and the fertile breeding ground he drew from to assemble this encyclopedia of religious beliefs under the banner of Christianity was mystery religions and a syncretism of Jewish and Hellenized pagan beliefs that were around centuries before Christ came on the scene.

The BIG question is why? Why did Paul, a complex and very troubled man, go through this dramatic conversion from persecutor of Christians to its champion? Paul's dramatic testimony is based on Paul's own words in his epistles, later fleshed out in Acts supposedly by Luke, his companion, but more likely fleshed out by a consortium of Christian churchmen roughly 100 years later.

Paul, being an educated man and a Pharisee, was well versed in all the pagan religions that had infiltrated the Jewish faith since the Jews' return from Babylonian captivity. His idea of Jesus raising from the dead was not novel. The Book of Daniel was written 200 years before Christ and has this key verse in 12:2 that Paul would have been intimately familiar with:

Quote:
Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Paul first outlined this idea of all men raising from the dead as a result of Jesus raising from the dead (Firstfruits doctrine ) when he wrote

Quote:
And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either.

Paul was the first to insist that if Jesus didn't rise from the dead then man was doomed without hope of salvation; that it was only through Jesus' resurrection that men could attain eternal life; that if Jesus hadn't risen bodily, then men would never raise bodily as well. This was all pure pagan belief that had been around in one form or another for nearly a thousand years before Paul and Jesus.

Remember: Jesus had nothing to do with this belief. Paul invented it far as Christians go and he borrowed the concept from the pagans. The gospel writers would pick it up decades later and incorporate the idea into their gospels. There is no evidence Jesus ever taught this.

Prior to Daniel, the Jews believed the dead, both good and bad, went to a dark gloomy place called Sheol to spend time there being cleansed before being released. Daniel "borrowed" the idea of good people going to heaven and sinners going to hell from the Greeks and Paul, in turn, borrowed it from Daniel, incorporating it into Christianity in the doctrine known as "the resurrection of the dead" for a variety of reasons too complex to go into here and some reasons we'll probably never know--again given that Paul was a very mentally unstable and troubled man given to delusions of grandeur, a martyr complex and enough phobias to excite an army of psychoanalysts. Much of Paul's "grand plan' is explained here. Enjoy:

Paul and the Mystery Religions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
1.Now at that time, Michael, the great prince, who stands over the children of your people, will be silent, and it will be a time of distress that never was since a nation existed until that time, and at that time, your people will escape, everyone who is found inscribed in the book
Rashi's Commentary:

Now at that time, Michael… will be silent: He will be silent like a mute person, for he will see the Holy One, blessed be He, judging by Himself and saying, “How will I destroy a great nation like this for the sake of Israel?”

and it will be a time of distress: in heaven there will be accusations against Torah scholars, [and there will be] plunderers and plunderers of plunderers, as our Rabbis said in the Aggadah in the last chapter of Kethuboth (112b).

your people will escape: The kingdom of Gog will be destroyed and Israel will escape.

everyone who is found inscribed in the book: This is a short verse, [meaning] whoever is found inscribed in this Book, through the dreams inscribed in it (7:11): “until the beast is slain” ; (verse 18): “and the high holy ones will receive the kingdom.” All will be fulfilled.
2.And many who sleep in the dust of the earth will awaken-these for eternal life, and those for disgrace, for eternal abhorrence.
Rashi's Commentary:

And many who sleep in the dust of the earth will awaken: The dead will come to life.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:00 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Your wrong again, as Paul had the baptism of Holy Spirit along with hundred of people with these gift of God`s Holy Spirit abiding on these people , which you fail to see ...... So Paul did not invent anything as it was Jesus who is the author , as Jesus is the identity of His spirit which abides of all those who has God`s spirit .....Then it was Father God who promised to bring His spirit to all who will follow Jesus as the judgment for men and women after God raised up Jesus from the dead after the cross of Christ which millions of Christian today have on their lives as God interacts with His people ......... So If Jesus was not resurrected from the dead then there would be no Baptism of the Holy Spirit , and no Christianity .

Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
thrill, Paul didn't invent the resurrection. The resurrection is often stated in the Old Testament. Job mentioned it.

"Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever! For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me."

And Daniel:
Dan_12:2 From those sleeping in the soil of the ground many shall awake, these to eonian life and these to reproach for eonian repulsion."

Zechariah the prophet wrote concerning the resurrection of Christ:
"And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced…" -Zechariah 12:10

King David wrote of the resurrection:
"For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in the grave, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance."

The above verse is reference not to David, for he did see corruption but was concerning Christ as shown here:

"Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in the grave, neither his flesh did see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses." -Act 2:24-32

The above was written prior to Paul being saved.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
PAUL, the one and only MESSIAH...

Old 01-15-2016, 06:16 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Had Paul been sane.....perhaps none of it would have happened ? Or at least not according to Paul's twisted, imaginary standards

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/do...psych.11090214

Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Had Paul been sane.....perhaps none of it would have happened ? Or at least not according to Paul's twisted, imaginary standards

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/do...psych.11090214
But Paul wasn't insane. He had interactions with the other apostles and they all vouched for his apostleship. If he was insane, they surely would not have done so.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Who knows. All of that stuff happened 2000 years ago. We'll never know how it all really went down.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Who knows. All of that stuff happened 2000 years ago. We'll never know how it all really went down.

Which is why these things are to be taken by faith, and not by proof or evidence.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:19 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Paul may have had noble things to say but they are not God's word.
Jesus is God's word .
Any thing some one says that circumvents Jesus ,will give account on his own on judgment day, including my self. And those that have been deceived will also have a say on that day.
The fact remains Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place ,and this He does do with in those things Jesus taught
and the law of the Father the Holy Spirit does not divert.
Salvation starts with repentance from self govern to God's govern =obedience to God via the Holy Spirit Jesus provided.

Paul's hypocrisy of devaluing the "old testament law" and then establishing his own set of laws, does not accomplish obedience to God at any level.
Jesus did not establish that believers became Jews either ,because the time of the Jews was over as an exclusive nation,, seeing salvation/ the gift of the Holy Spirit,/the capacity to obey God real time, was extended available to the whole world.
Because God took it from the literary level of a mouth piece (Moses) to paper, to people ,,to a personal level the accountability is of a far greater value than the letter, much like unto the level Adam and Eve knew before the fall . God even made promise to this effect Jeramiah 31;31,32,33,34,
What this boils down to is, according to Jesus provision, that if the Holy Spirit is not calling the shots, and one's dependency is on writing, over the Spirit, they are worshipping the wrong thing .
Jesus said," God is spirit, and they that worship Him, Must worship Him in Spirit and in truth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity