Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,027,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If they have been validly baptised before in the Christian faith, in the name of the Trinity (as opposed, to, for instance, a Mormon baptism) and they can provide evidence of this baptism, they generally do not have to be baptised again.
Do you even know how a Mormon baptismal prayer is worded? The individual is baptized "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-23-2016 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 06:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do you even know how a Mormon baptismal prayer is worded? The individual in baptized "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."
Yes, I know how it's worded. But I also know that Mormons consider Jesus to be God's SON but not God Himself. And the Roman Catholic Church knows this too, which is why they do not accept Mormon baptisms as valid baptisms when one is becoming Catholic. Valid baptisms for Catholic converts must be based in Trinitarian doctrine.

Quote:
The LDS doctrine of the Godhead differs from the various concepts of the Trinity. Several postbiblical trinitarian doctrines emerged in Christianity. This "dogmatic development took place gradually, against the background of the emanationist philosophy of Stoicism and Neoplatonism (including the mystical theology of the latter), and within the context of strict Jewish monotheism" (ER 15:54). Trinitarian doctrines sought to elevate God's oneness or unity, ultimately in some cases describing Jesus as homoousious (of the same substance) with the Father in order to preclude any claim that Jesus was not fully divine. LDS understanding, formulated by latter-day revelation through Joseph Smith, rejects the idea that Jesus or any other personage loses individuality by attaining Godhood or by standing in divine and eternal relationships with other exalted beings.
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Godhead

Quote:
In its commentary, the Vatican said that even though the Mormon baptismal rite refers to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the church’s beliefs about the identity of the three persons are so different from Catholic and mainline Christian belief that the rite cannot be regarded as a Christian baptism. - See more at: The Catholic Review > Vatican ruling on Mormon baptism clarifies Catholic practice
The Catholic Review > Vatican ruling on Mormon baptism clarifies Catholic practice

By the way, you probably already know this, but Mormons generally rebaptise former Catholics who are converting to Mormonism.

That's because there are fundamental differences between the doctrines underlying Mormon and Catholic baptismal rituals/sacraments.

Quote:
Latter-day Saints do not accept baptismal practices and teachings that arose among some Christian groups in the centuries after the death of the apostles, including infant baptism, baptism by means other than immersion, and the idea that baptism is not necessary for salvation. The Nephite prophet Mormon denounced the practice of infant baptism, which had apparently crept in among his people, and declared that anyone who supposed that little children need baptism would deny the mercies of Christ, setting at naught the value of his Atonement and the power of his redemption (Moro. 8:4-20)...

...Consequently, persons coming into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at age eight or older are required to submit to baptism, even though they may have been previously baptized in other churches (D&C 22). Likewise, excommunicants undergo baptism again once they have qualified for readmission into the Church.
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Baptism

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-23-2016 at 06:16 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know how it's worded. But I also know that Mormons consider Jesus to be God's SON but not God Himself.
Then what you know is wrong. Here's what The Book of Mormon itself says:

And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. (2 Nephi 31:21)

Quote:
And the Roman Catholic Church knows this too, which is why they do not accept Mormon baptisms as valid baptisms when one is becoming Catholic. Valid baptisms for Catholic converts must be based in Trinitarian doctrine.
Apparently, they know as little about Mormonism as you do than. Look, I don't care that they don't accept our baptisms; we don't accept theirs either. To me it makes perfect sense that this would be the case. I am only correcting your statement that Mormons don't believe that Jesus is God Himself.

I find it interesting, though, to consider the thousands of baptisms that were performed prior to 325 A.D. How many of them were not performed according to the trinitarian formula?

Old 01-23-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Then what you know is wrong. Here's what The Book of Mormon itself says:

And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. (2 Nephi 31:21)

Apparently, they know as little about Mormonism as you do. Look, I don't care that they don't accept our baptisms; we don't accept theirs either. To me it makes perfect sense that this would be the case. I am only correcting your statement that Mormons don't believe that Jesus is God Himself.

I find it interesting, though, to consider the thousands of baptisms that were performed prior to 325 A.D. How many of them were not performed according to the trinitarian formula?
The doctrines of Godhead differ markedly between Catholicism and Mormonism. The RCC does not consider Mormon baptisms to be Trinitarian, and do not therefore accept Mormon baptisms as valid - just as the Mormon church doesn't accept Catholic baptisms as valid.

Quote:
The LDS doctrine of the Godhead differs from the various concepts of the Trinity. Several postbiblical trinitarian doctrines emerged in Christianity. This "dogmatic development took place gradually, against the background of the emanationist philosophy of Stoicism and Neoplatonism (including the mystical theology of the latter), and within the context of strict Jewish monotheism" (ER 15:54). Trinitarian doctrines sought to elevate God's oneness or unity, ultimately in some cases describing Jesus as homoousious (of the same substance) with the Father in order to preclude any claim that Jesus was not fully divine. LDS understanding, formulated by latter-day revelation through Joseph Smith, rejects the idea that Jesus or any other personage loses individuality by attaining Godhood or by standing in divine and eternal relationships with other exalted beings.

Quote:
Jesus Christ, the Firstborn son of God the Father in the spirit and the Only Begotten son in the flesh, is the creative agent of the Godhead and the redeeming mediator between the Father and mankind. By him God created all things, and through him God revealed the laws of salvation. In him shall all be made alive, and through his Atonement all mankind may be reconciled with the Father.
Godhead - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism

Now for the Trinitarian doctrine of the RCC:
Quote:
Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God." In this Trinity of Persons the Son is begotten of the Father by an eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit proceeds by an eternal procession from the Father and the Son. Yet, notwithstanding this difference as to origin, the Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent. This, the Church teaches, is the revelation regarding God's nature which Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came upon earth to deliver to the world: and which she proposes to man as the foundation of her whole dogmatic system.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Blessed Trinity

Quote:
Mormons most commonly use the term “Godhead” to refer to the Trinity. The first article of faith for the Latter-day Saints reads: “We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.” Latter-day Saints believe God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are one in will and purpose but are not literally the same being or substance, as conceptions of the Holy Trinity commonly imply.
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C5

Interesting website on the similarities and differences between the Mormon and Catholic faiths:
Trinity Godhead Catholic LDS Christianity | Catholic Roots Mormon Harvest

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-23-2016 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 06:32 PM

10,063 posts, read 4,988,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
A1: I'm sure somewhere there is ... probably though not Christian.
A2: absolutely, babies need a savior.
Jesus taught original sin just as it was taught in the OT.
"Flesh gives birth to flesh" John 3:6
"Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." Psalm 51:5
As it is written:
“There is no one righteous, not even one;" Romans 3:10
-------------------------------------------
Jesus taught:
"but the Spirit gives birth to spirit." John 3:6
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," Matthew 28:19
babies are no less a part of "all nations"
------------------------------------------------------
God taught infants do believe and that baptism saves and how it does:
"From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God." Psalm 22:10
"this water (the water that saved Noah) symbolizes baptism that now saves you also
not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.
It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" 1 Peter 3:21
Isn't Psalm 22:1,10,18 prophetically specifically about Jesus ?_____
Sinless dedicated Jesus presented himself for baptism showing he was doing God's will over his own will.

For us repenting and baptism go hand in hand
A baby can Not repent, dedicate itself, and present itself for baptism - Acts 2:37-38
Parents are the ones responsible for minor children - 1 Corinthians 7:14
So, No infant baptism took place because dedication precedes baptism ( immersion ) - Acts 2:14,22,38,41
First, before baptism a person would have to become a believer - Matthew 3: 13-15; 28:18-20

The Ark was evidence that Noah had dedicated himself to do God's will, God's purpose, and Noah did that will.

Jesus is Savior because death frees or acquits a person from sin - Romans 6:7
Since we can Not resurrect oneself or another we need someone who can resurrect the dead. Jesus can and will - Rev. 1:18
So, except for ones committing the unforgivable sin -> Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6, a person can have a resurrection.
Not necessarily meaning a resurrection called to heaven - Rev. 20:6, but a healthy physical resurrection back to life on earth. ALL of Jesus' resurrections were bringing people back to life on earth. Jesus resurrected No one to heaven.
The resurrections Jesus performed were a small preview, or coming attraction, of what Jesus will be doing on a grand global scale during his coming millennium-long day of governing over earth for a thousand years.
So, the majority of mankind, which includes babies, will have a physically healthy resurrection back to life on earth starting with Jesus' coming 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth.
That is why the ' future tense ' is used at Acts 24:15 that there ' will be ' a resurrection.....
A healthy physical resurrection right here on earth with the opportunity to happily live forever on earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall - Revelation 22:2; Isaiah 25:8

Old 01-23-2016, 06:42 PM

By the way, Katzpur, I am neither Roman Catholic nor Mormon - I am merely discussing the OP's questions, which are:

Quote:
My son and daughter in law are expecting a baby. I'm not sure if they will Christen their child or not.
That is their decision.

My question is: Once this child grows up, are there any religions (Christian or otherwise) that won't allow a marriage with people who have not been baptized?

Also, other than having a child baptized for personal religious reasons that are obvious, is there any other reason they SHOULD have this child baptized?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I just don't know.
Different churches, sects, denominations, etc have differing requirements for baptism. I was discussing the requirements of the RCC. Whether you or I agree with it or not, the RCC and the LDS do not accept baptisms in each other's traditions. There are varying requirements regarding marriages in each tradition, and regarding whether or not baptisms are required in order for the marriage to be sacramental, where the marriage ceremony is held, etc. That's the discussion.

It's really immaterial to me whether the LDS or RCC can reach an agreement on Trinitarian beliefs or baptisms. So far, they haven't been able to, and I'm not holding my breath. Nor do I really even care because I don't have a dog in this hunt.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
The doctrines of Godhead differ markedly between Catholicism and Mormonism. The RCC does not consider Mormon baptisms to be Trinitarian, and do not therefore accept Mormon baptisms as valid - just as the Mormon church doesn't accept Catholic baptisms as valid.
Yes, I fully understand that, and I'm not arguing that point at all.

Quote:
url=http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Godhead]Godhead - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism[/url]

Notice that the "h" is not capitalized in the excerpts from the writings from BYU. That's an important distinction, because the Mormon church teaches that Jesus is NOT the same being as God, so no need to capitalize the "h."
That's absolute nonsense. Nowhere in the King James Version of the Bible are the pronouns "he," "his" or "him" capitalized when they are used in place of either God the Father or His Son, Jesus Christ. Did the translators of the KJV believe that Jesus was not God? You will find that these pronouns are capitalized sometimes in LDS writings and are not capitalized at other times. The same is true with the writings you'll find by most Christian scholars and theologians. It's simply a matter of preference and does not mean that we believe Jesus is not God. You're starting to sound like you think you understand Mormonism better than I do, Kathryn. That surprises me coming from you.

Quote:
IT teaches that Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are three distinct beings working together (a simplistic way of putting it but pretty succinct).
It absolutely does teach that the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are three physically distinct personages bound together in a perfect and absolute unity of will, purpose, mind and heart. It teaches that they are "one God," but not that they are "one substance." In this regard it teaches exactly what the Bible does.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-23-2016 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I fully understand that, and I'm not arguing that point at all.

It absolutely does teach that the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are three physically distinct personages bound together in a perfect and absolute unity of will, purpose, mind and heart. It teaches that they are "one God," but not that they are "one substance."

See my post above. Also, see that I edited the post you're quoting, and you are posting from the "first edition."

I am not going to argue the Trinity with you. You and I both know that the doctrine of the Godhead differ significantly between the LDS and RCC.

The LDS and RCC also know this and this is one reason the RCC doesn't accept LDS baptisms. I think you know that as well.

That's what I'm saying in response to the OP's question (once again, see my post #36 above).

Old 01-23-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I am not going to argue the Trinity with you. You and I both know that the doctrine of the Godhead differ significantly between the LDS and RCC.

The LDS and RCC also know this and this is one reason the RCC doesn't accept LDS baptisms. I think you know that as well.

That's what I'm saying in response to the OP's question (once again, see my post #36 above).
I totally agree with you. All I am asking is that you refrain from explaining Mormon doctrine when you clearly have some misunderstandings about it. I agree with you that the Mormon "Godhead" differs considerably from the Catholic "Trinity." I also agree that this is a big reason why Catholicism does not accept Mormon baptisms as legitimate.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with you. All I am asking is that you refrain from explaining Mormon doctrine when you clearly have some misunderstandings about it. I agree with you that the Mormon "Godhead" differs considerably from the Catholic "Trinity." I also agree that this is a big reason why Catholicism does not accept Mormon baptisms as legitimate.
I don't think I have a misunderstanding of the Mormon beliefs regarding Jesus and His relationship within the Godhead, and the differences between the "Mormon" version of the Godhead and the mainstream Christian (including Catholic) concept of the Trinity.

Of course you're free to debate the finer points with me all you like, but I don't feel constrained not to discuss Mormon doctrine, especially when I clearly source my position from Mormon writings. I'm not an expert on Mormonism but the information from Mormon websites (such as BYU and mormon.org) is pretty easy to track down. That being said, you're certainly welcome to correct me, discuss it with me, debate it with me, or ignore me. Hopefully we can discuss these things civilly.

Not accepting each other's baptisms is a two way street when it comes to the RCC and the LDS -as well as many other mainstream Christian denominations and the LDS. The OP was asking about long term ramifications regarding baptism and that's one of the ramifications, regardless of which tradition people are following.

https://www.quora.com/Which-Christia...n-Which-do-not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity