Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You really don't know, do you? Have you see any quotes from the pastor or the church? Or are you just automatically assuming it? I'm sure you hate it when people automatically assume things about you...so why do you do this to others?
I took the time and looked at their website. Looks like they have a small, modest church building. There are the usual men's, women's and children's ministries. Three people on staff and absolutely no evidence of a food bank or any community outreach programs.

But, by gum, they're going to pour BIG money into building a BIG ol' cross. Cause it's Texas and, apparently, BIG matters to Texans.

Maybe they're hoping the astronauts on the International Space Station will see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I took the time and looked at their website. Looks like they have a small, modest church building. There are the usual men's, women's and children's ministries. Three people on staff and absolutely no evidence of a food bank or any community outreach programs.

But, by gum, they're going to pour a million dollars into a big ol' cross.
So, because the website didn't mention the food bank, you assume they don't do any community outreach? Nice.

Did you call the pastor? Send an email? Did you bother to do any research other than 30 seconds on a website? Did you read the news article that stated that it was paid for by special donations?

Do you know what the purpose of a church is? I'm just curious. What do you believe a church exists to DO?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What do you believe a church exists to DO?
Depends on the church. Looks like that church exists so they can have services and build a BIG ol' cross. In a city where 18% of the families live below the federal poverty level. (That means they are really poor. Which means the kids don't have decent school supplies and enough to eat.) But if you think building a BIG ol' cross is a good thing for a church to spend money on....send them a check. I'll bet they'd happily take your money and put you on their mailing list.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Depends on the church. Looks like that church exists so they can have services and build a BIG ol' cross. In a city where 18% of the families live below the federal poverty level. (That means they are really poor. Which means the kids don't have decent school supplies and enough to eat.) But if you think building a BIG ol' cross is a good thing to spend money on....send them a check. I'll bet they'd happily take your money and put you on their mailing list.
I didn't ask you to speculate on what THAT particular church exists for. I'm genuinely curious what you believe a Christian church's mission is? What do you believe a Christian church should focus on as their main goal? If there is ONE thing a church should do....what is it?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
If there is ONE thing a church should do....what is it?
Follow Jesus.

Who did not tell us to build BIG ol' crosses.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Follow Jesus.

Who did not tell us to build BIG ol' crosses.
So just...follow him? Is that it? Does Matthew 28:18-20 have any bearing on what the church should do?

Did Jesus ONLY feed the poor? Did he give every bit of money he had to feed the poor? If so...why were there still poor after he ascended to Heaven? Right outside the temple, no less! Why did Jesus not take care of that problem?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The church has more than one mission. Feeding the poor is just part of what they do. Sharing the good news of Christ is also part of their mission. Perhaps the cross will lead someone in need to the Lord's mercy.
lol! Maybe it'll magically turn me heterosexual

Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,628,128 times
Quote:
You really don't know, do you? Have you see any quotes from the pastor or the church? Or are you just automatically assuming it? I'm sure you hate it when people automatically assume things about you...so why do you do this to others?
You are free to make all the assumptions you wish about me. Feel free to share them with everyone you know, too I love being amused by you, and your assumptions Viz.

Now. If the pastor with the big cross wished to tell me his big cross is anything else but a man bragging about something very small, I will certainly listen.

This is about a small man wanting to display something much larger than life. I will just bet he named his tiny cross, too. God has no need for such displays.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
So just...follow him?
You asked what I thought and I told you. Follow Jesus. Simple. No BIG ol' cross necessary or needed.

Lol...every time I say something like, "Feed the hungry. Help the poor." I get the frowny face from the fundamentalists. Apparently the quickest way to rile up a fundamentalist is to be an advocate for the poor.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You are free to make all the assumptions you wish about me. Feel free to share them with everyone you know, too I love being amused by you, and your assumptions Viz.

So enlighten us. What do you honestly know about this cross and this church?
Quote:

Now. If the pastor with the big cross wished to tell me his big cross is anything else but a man bragging about something very small, I will certainly listen.

This is about a small man wanting to display something much larger than life. I will just bet he named his tiny cross, too. God has no need for such displays.
Sounds like someone just looking for a reason to complain about something they know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity