Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 04:41 PM

10,095 posts, read 5,016,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Well, either way, the earth is hellish for many living souls at this time and always has been. Seen any pictures of Syria lately?
The Bible's definition of hell is simply the stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead - Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13
So, by saying ' earth is hellish ', biblically speaking, would mean earth is a grave of unconscious dead people or souls.
Dead souls or dead people in their graves do Not look like pictures of Syria, but a cemetery would.

Religious-myth teachings of fire in hell is Not a scriptural teaching, but a false teaching just taught as Scripture.
KJV translated the word Gehenna in English as hell fire. Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed ( ashes ) and not kept burning forever.

So, although I agree pictures of Syria are horrific to say the least,that does Not fit the Bible's definition of hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 04:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,668,880 times
Discoveries of different types of humans and their DNA can lead naturalists to try to use this information to help prove their own personal belief system, just as the discoveries of ancient Biblical texts and artifacts are used by Christian believers to build their faith in their belief system. Just as naturalists and atheists would try to claim that ancient scrolls and stones of Biblical origin were "planted" by believers, those same skulls and DNA of "Neanderthals" might be claimed to simply be a ancient version of a chromosonal abnormality like Down's syndrome or dwarfism, but that has long disappeared or been blended into a more diverse DNA, a recessive trait that hides beneath dominant ones.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,668,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The Bible's definition of hell is simply the stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead

Religious-myth teachings of fire in hell is Not a scriptural teaching, but a false teaching just taught as Scripture.
Not sure you are aware of this one.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:14 King James Version (KJV)

Old 02-20-2016, 01:45 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,745,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The Bible's definition of hell is simply the stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead - Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13
So, by saying ' earth is hellish ', biblically speaking, would mean earth is a grave of unconscious dead people or souls.
Dead souls or dead people in their graves do Not look like pictures of Syria, but a cemetery would.

KJV translated the word Gehenna in English as hell fire. Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed ( ashes ) and not kept burning forever.

So, although I agree pictures of Syria are horrific to say the least,that does Not fit the Bible's definition of hell.
I'm curious as to how you reconcile this parable of Jesus in Luke 16:19-26 (NIV)

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, WHERE HE WAS IN TORMENT he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
-----
That description may not be "hell fire," but it doesn't sound pleasant and it does sound permanent.
.???????

Old 02-20-2016, 09:40 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,883,170 times
We lack Neanderthal DNA to compare . Neanderthal were nomads ,but we haven't unearthed any
remnants of that period with the exception of sabertooths , mammoths, and extinct sea creatures.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,124,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm curious as to how you reconcile this parable of Jesus in Luke 16:19-26 (NIV)

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, WHERE HE WAS IN TORMENT he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
-----
That description may not be "hell fire," but it doesn't sound pleasant and it does sound permanent.
.???????
The parable is meant to be saying that G-d has given up on Israel and has taken the Gentiles...There is a lot of metaphor in it...

Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,954,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
We lack Neanderthal DNA to compare . Neanderthal were nomads ,but we haven't unearthed any
remnants of that period with the exception of sabertooths , mammoths, and extinct sea creatures.
Evidence exists Neanderthals buried their dead, so yes, we got DNA from that.

New Evidence Suggests That Neandertals Buried Their Dead - Scientific American

What made you think otherwise?

Old 02-20-2016, 01:46 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,745,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The parable is meant to be saying that G-d has given up on Israel and has taken the Gentiles...There is a lot of metaphor in it...
That's a bit of stretch Richard--not impossible but a really loooonnng stretch.

It's more likely that the "metaphor" refers to the earlier verse in the same chapter:
Quote:
The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all this, and they scoffed at him
(Luke 16:14 RSV)
The Pharisees openly mocked Jesus. To answer that scoffing, our Lord tells the story of the rich man and Lazarus.

Just saying that it is popular among modern day christians to see metaphors outside the context in which they were told. I think this one is more direct about the love of money since that is contextually correct---but it still seems to indicate a permanent separation from God.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
There are at least 100 complete Neanderthal skeletons, including the one buried in the cave at Shanidar with identifiable pollens from plants still used as medicines in the area. Yup, the Neanderthal were the first to bury their dead with flowers.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,447,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

-----
.???????
Death, itself, is nothing but what we fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity