Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,433,746 times

Advertisements

What is it that Jesus Christ gave us that he desires us to freely give?.

My peace I give unto you, is something he most certainly gave us. A Peace that comes from knowing we are not separated from God. Now to me that is something worth freely giving, especially considering it was freely given unto us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,267,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

My peace I give unto you, is something he most certainly gave us. A Peace that comes from knowing we are not separated from God. Now to me that is something worth freely giving, especially considering it was freely given unto us.
I assume you're paraphrasing John 14:27?

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. "

He doesn't really say "I desire that you freely give it". He was talking about the peace that we can have in knowing that he would be with us. He was saying he was going to go away--but that we shouldn't be troubled because he would send the Spirit. Yes--we can evangelize and help people to know him and to understand that peace...but he doesn't say we have the power to give peace.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I assume you're paraphrasing John 14:27?

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. "

He doesn't really say "I desire that you freely give it". He was talking about the peace that we can have in knowing that he would be with us. He was saying he was going to go away--but that we shouldn't be troubled because he would send the Spirit. Yes--we can evangelize and help people to know him and to understand that peace...but he doesn't say we have the power to give peace.
No,I was pointing out that Jesus gave us peace and he also said what you have freely received, freely give. You cannot give peace unless you have it. The bolded was not what Jesus said nor what he meant. You do not believe there is power in the peace of God ?.

So come on pastor?, what was it that the disciples freely received that Jesus taught them to freely give ? How about love, joy,peace, mercy and grace ?.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
No,I was pointing out that Jesus gave us peace and he also said what you have freely received, freely give. You cannot give peace unless you have it. The bolded was not what Jesus said nor what he meant. You do not believe there is power in the peace of God ?.
Moderator cut: deleted I would like you to be very clear on what it is that you're actually trying to say. I don't have a clue.
Quote:
So come on pastor?, what was it that the disciples freely received that Jesus taught them to freely give ? How about love, joy,peace, mercy and grace ?.
let's talk about it in context. Please show me exactly what verse you are referring to and exactly where you are claiming this. You have done this repeatedly--I'm asking you to quote me a verse so we can talk about it.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Sarcasm that was deleted is not permitted. Pls refer to TOS/Sticky. Next time will be infracted.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm tired of trying to decipher "pcampsese". I would like you to be very clear on what it is that you're actually trying to say. I don't have a clue.

let's talk about it in context. Please show me exactly what verse you are referring to and exactly where you are claiming this. You have done this repeatedly--I'm asking you to quote me a verse so we can talk about it.
I asked a clear a concise question in the OP.
Quote:
Rather than giving an answer of your own, you just picked fault with what I had to say. You ain't hoping to derail this thread and make it about me. Just answer the question if you have one or move on.

What is it that you have freely received that you were taught to freely give?.( yes he desires us to give what we have freely received)

Peace is something freely received of God, if you don't have it, you will not understand the ability to freely give it.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I asked a clear a concise question in the OP.

Rather than giving an answer of your own, you just picked fault with what I had to say. You ain't hoping to derail this thread and make it about me. Just answer the question if you have one or move on.

What is it that you have freely received that you were taught to freely give?.( yes he desires us to give what we have freely received)

Peace is something freely received of God, if you don't have it, you will not understand the ability to freely give it.
I would like for you to give me an exact verse that says we are to "freely give" something. Can you do that?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:35 PM

I get your protest, you do not like the idea of something being given free.

Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven is near.infirm ones be healing, lepers be cleansing, dead be raising, demons be casting out -- freely ye did receive, freely give.

Are you trying to suggest that healing and cleansing are free, and everything else comes at a cost. Do you not understand that when God heals, that he is giving you far more than healing ?. Go tell your friends what great things God has done for you, do you know the man Jesus Christ said this to, scripture says that same man was in a right frame of mind ?. This is my last post to you on this thread, unless you answer the OP, which I do not believe you can, because you will be ensnared by your own words.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I get your protest, you do not like the idea of something being given free.
No....God freely gives his grace, forgiveness, salvation, etc. I am trying to understand what it is that you are saying, though.
Quote:
Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven is near.infirm ones be healing, lepers be cleansing, dead be raising, demons be casting out -- freely ye did receive, freely give.

Are you trying to suggest that healing and cleansing are free, and everything else comes at a cost. Do you not understand that when God heals, that he is giving you far more than healing ?. Go tell your friends what great things God has done for you, do you know the man Jesus Christ said this to, scripture says that same man was in a right frame of mind ?. This is my last post to you on this thread, unless you answer the OP, which I do not believe you can, because you will be ensnared by your own words.
You routinely post fragments of verses and paraphrase them, adding your own statements. I have trouble following what you are actually trying to say.

Yes--God does freely heal, freely cleanse from sin. What else are you talking about? If you don't want to answer me...fine. I have yet to figure out what the heck it is that you're actually trying to ask.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM

20,481 posts, read 12,875,752 times
Quote:
What is it that Jesus Christ gave us that he desires us to freely give?
Forgiveness.

Matt. 6:12

"Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors."

Old 10-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Forgiveness.

Matt. 6:12

"Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors."
Good answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity