Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 AM

15 posts, read 16,077 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have suggestions for how to go about finding a new church in another state? We aren't able to visit much before we actually move there, but I'm so afraid that we will settle for something nearby to where we buy a home. Needless to say we are praying to be where God wants us, but I wonder if there are any practical things we can do without actually being there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:49 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetinIL View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for how to go about finding a new church in another state? We aren't able to visit much before we actually move there, but I'm so afraid that we will settle for something nearby to where we buy a home. Needless to say we are praying to be where God wants us, but I wonder if there are any practical things we can do without actually being there yet.
Take a look at websites for churches in the area.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:22 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,897,164 times
I look at their Statement of Belief. If it has even a hint of fundamentalism (Bible is the infallible word, etc) I steer clear. But you might find that out soon enough if you visit and hear their message.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
If you are already a member of a denomination, then I'd seek out a church like it where you're moving.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:54 AM

483 posts, read 667,206 times
We just went through this ourselves when we moved from Wisconsin to Arizona.

Nowadays it's pretty easy since almost all churches have websites. Not only do they post their history and beliefs, but most also have links to past sermons. Some even have links to live services. You can get a taste of what it's like at most churches, sitting in your home.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,937,658 times
Quote:
Visit the church's website if it has one. Also, your denomination (if you attend a church within a denomination) may have a church locater on it's website. Get the pastor's contact information either from the church locater or the church's website and inquire as to what you are looking for. When I relocated from Nevada to North Carolina I contacted the pastors at a few churches asking what the worship style was like at their services; since I had come from the RPCNa, I wanted to make sure the PCA churches I was looking into had a more traditional worship style and not contemporary.

The pastor should be able to tell you about the church's worship style if that is what you are looking into; for programs and stuff like that which the church is involved in, you should be able to look into that from the church's website if they have one; if not, then you'll want to take the route of contacting the pastor. I think that's about all you can do outside of visiting the church itself. Best wishes and may the Spirit guide you in your search.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:10 PM

45,707 posts, read 27,325,537 times
Quote:
Try to discern if God is working through the pastor and the attendees.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,472,946 times
Attend the Episcopal Church. The beauty of denominational Christianity, especially within a hierarchical structure, is that the teachings are the same and practices are consistent. I don't have to worry about creedal statements and looking for hints of Fundamentalism that one has to deal with in non-denominational megachurches.

Plus the liturgical services in high church Episcopal parishes are more appealing than the typical college lecture-style service in Evangelical/Non-Deonominational megachurches, hollow of any spirituality and full of hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity