Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM

889 posts, read 826,565 times

Advertisements

I have found that most folks are so entrenched in their beliefs that you can drop a perfect bible verse bomb on them that totally blows them out of the water on what they believe and it will be in plain text and completely non-metaphorical and folks will still discount it if the information conflicts with what they believe. They will then pull their proof text outs and ignore any conflicting evidence.

Personally, in many years here on the forum, I have experienced one episode of a real ah-ha moment regarding John 6 of something I posted that two folks that were arguing against me changed their mind and agreed with me. Other than that, nothing. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. I certainly post a lot less because logic doesn't have anything to do with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 04:10 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
I think people are here to teach more than they are here to learn. I wouldn't have a problem with that except that almost everybody presents their opinion as if it were fact. I hardly ever see anybody preface his remarks by saying, "I believe that..." or "The way I see it..." or "The [Lutheran or Baptist or whatever] interpretation of those verses is..." It's always just, "You're wrong. I'm right. Why can't you just admit it?"

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-09-2016 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
I'm also here to reprove and correct Fundamentalists.

It's my calling.

God works in mysterious ways....

Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 PM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I hardly ever see anybody preface his remarks by saying, "I believe that..." or "The way I see it..." or "The [Lutheran or Baptist or whatever] interpretation of those verses is..."
To be fair, Katz, with the exception of the fundamentalists who do as you say and simply assert their views as the correct one, I think that the presumption on a forum like this belies any need for the qualifiers. It is all opinion. There is no way to establish authority on an anonymous forum.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM

1,146 posts, read 650,288 times
Quote:
Does it seems that everyone just wants to make a pitch for their version of Christianity or do people actually come here to learn and end up changed because of something they read here on the forum.

Has anyone ever been truly changed in either mind or spirit or denomination because of something they have read here on the forum?
Of course not. Most come here to rant.

In doing so they betray their own ignorance and prejudices. It's quite entertaining.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 AM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think people are here to teach more than they are here to learn. I wouldn't have a problem with that except that almost everybody presents their opinion as if it were fact. I hardly ever see anybody preface his remarks by saying, "I believe that..." or "The way I see it..." or "The [Lutheran or Baptist or whatever] interpretation of those verses is..." It's always just, "You're wrong. I'm right. Why can't you just admit it?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To be fair, Katz, with the exception of the fundamentalists who do as you say and simply assert their views as the correct one, I think that the presumption on a forum like this belies any need for the qualifiers. It is all opinion. There is no way to establish authority on an anonymous forum.
MysticPhD - //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ter-3-a-4.html. Post #32.
''WRONG. He came to achieve what WE could NOT as our substitute! Huge difference.''
MysticPhD - //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...an-god-19.html Post #187
''Wrong. It is along the lines of " we exist, the universe exists, its attributes meet the minimum descriptions of a God, so God exists " ''

Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 AM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't really need to name names, Mystic, and it would be a mistake for me to do so. But the shoe comes in many sizes, and if anyone can find one that fits, perhaps he should consider wearing it.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

In doing so they betray their own ignorance and prejudices. It's quite entertaining.

Is there a difference between ranting and hollering?

Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

I need a new Irony Meter....

Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Quote:
I have found that most folks are so entrenched in their beliefs that you can drop a perfect bible verse bomb on them that totally blows them out of the water on what they believe and it will be in plain text and completely non-metaphorical and folks will still discount it if the information conflicts with what they believe. They will then pull their proof text outs and ignore any conflicting evidence.

Personally, in many years here on the forum, I have experienced one episode of a real ah-ha moment regarding John 6 of something I posted that two folks that were arguing against me changed their mind and agreed with me. Other than that, nothing. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. I certainly post a lot less because logic doesn't have anything to do with anything.
In other words, what you're really trying to ask is, "Why aren't people learning from me?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity