Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM

950 posts, read 3,192,653 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Christians in Knoxville/Knox County:

Pastor wants to add giant cross to Knoxville skyline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Dang, I could find so many more -- truly beneficial -- things to which to apply $60,000.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
This is a quote from the cross maker in the article in Brian's post:

/[Since Potter became a born again Christian at age 50, he's has been doing everything he can to share his story. "The cross is the most outward appearance of our inward faith."]/ quote.

Personally, I would think that Christians would want their actions and deeds to be the most outward appearance of their inward faith.

You can have a sign that says "Restaurant", but if there is nothing tangible sitting there to serve you food - that sign means nothing.

As a believer, I agree, jabogitlu, there are a lot of good works that could be accomplished with $60,000.

(Sorry if this belongs on another thread or forum. It just struck me.)

I had just read an article on the internet concerning the needs of the tornado victims last week. I would just like to remind all of us that there is still a great need in NW TN and the other 4 involved states for food and household goods.

There are churches and organizations in your area who are collecting these relief items.

This is what precipitating my thinking about what $60,000 could do for those so much in need.

What I failed to add is that we each give testament to our faith in our own way. If giving to others is your testament, I think that is wonderful. If building a large cross sculpture to inspire others to reflect on their own spirituality, then that is your testament and it is also great.

Each in his own way.

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-14-2008 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
It seems like more and more nowadays, that religious people with money seem caught up in displaying their "devotion" by flaunting their money, not their deeds.

It's actually a pet peeve of mine, so here I go, off on my tangent:

Here in our town of 25,000 residents, an evangelical church from an urban area is creating a "lifestyle campus" including a sanctuary for their 5,000 members (all from 30+ miles away, not one from our town), a K-12 school, television studio, and numerous other "lifestyle" facilities. The property they bought (104 acres) cost them $10 million, plus their facilities will be another half a million square feet of new construction. It's great to advance the religion, but I believe the honorable way to do that is through your actions and not through a "look at me!" display flaunting your wealth.

Back to the subject, I agree that the person who puts up these crosses could certainly do more good by putting that money to use helping others, than making a display like that.

But as usual, that's just my opinion--I have a right to my opinion and so does everyone else!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM

Wink Each must worship in his own way.

I personally feel as you do, bbkaren, but to those involved in that particular church, they feel that they are honoring God and promoting Christianity.

I am just thankful that we live in a country that allows the freedom to worship any way and in just about any place we see fit. We have wonderful freedoms here for self-expression that others can only dream of.

I think a lot of the mega-churches and complexes we see today may be the result of, first, the old-time tent revivals that I remember so well from my youth. They would attract a thousand or more for a 3 or 4 day revival. Many would dedicate their lives to Christ during this emotional, fervant event.

Secondly, over the past 30 years or so we have seen the church as an entity suffering losses of their congregational sheep. Soon, the churches were trying to draw members back with rock music services, more youth groups (basketball, field trips to the shore, etc.), and lots of social events for all members.

They started to become a community in and of themselves. The only thing lacking is a grocery, a gas station and a Walmart!

This is attractive to many, many people and has renewed interest among families to become church members. They look out for one another in their church families physically and in spiritual ways. This works for so many.

But, I agree with you that I would prefer to be seen by God alone for my works. If they show or impact on someone else in a favorable way, then that may be a good Christian witness. But, Christ was a poor and very humble man when on the earth and he encouraged us not to put our faith or hopes in the riches of this world. I would choose not to wear my shiny Christian banner, but let my works, deeds, words, and example speak of my faith. I would prefer to give any money I have to helping storm victims or slip the lady at the McDonald's drive-thru window a twenty because she told me her water was cut off. But.....that's just me. Someone else might want to donate the $20 to the $60,000 cross.

Again, this is only one person's opinion and is in no way a criticism of those who wish to worship differently. We each go our own way following our own path. If it pleases God, then it pleases me.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 AM

I agree--I just feel like, in a facility like that, with all those people and all those dollars being spent on glitz...is there room for God in there?

And, for the record, many mega churches like this one have not only McDonald's but also either a Dunkin' Donuts or in more upscale areas, a Starbucks.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:50 AM

I would think, bbkaren, that those who go to the mega-churches are finding God in there. They just do it through a different means than you or I would. There are probably some who go for the social aspect, but you find that with just about any group - religiously connected or other.

I, too, would rather take all of that $$ and do something charitable with it without any fanfare. The Bible tells us to not let our left hand know what our right hand is doing.

To me, that means that you should follow your Christian conscience and help those that you can without even your other hand knowing about it. No merit badges! Just a good conscience.

But, those in the large churches will tell you about all of the missions they support, the scholarships they provide students, the food collections they have and so on. So, this is their way; mine is a little different, but not necessarily better to anyone but me!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,522 times
Gem and Karen....I tried to rep you, but apparently I have to spread around the reps before I can rep you again.....but I at least want you to know that I appreciate you, and it is nice to know that others feel the way I do!! I prefer to do things that only God and I know about and I feel better knowing exactly where my 'giving' is going and I know that if I help individuals as I see a need, it eliminates 'administrative costs' involved with 'organized' religion.

Bette

Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM

The megachurch that's coming to our town has both a CEO (Head Pastor #1) and a CFO as well as a bazillion other corporate officers...

It just doesn't feel like "God" to me. More like an Obama rally

(Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of both God and enthusiasm--but the money sullies it for me)

Old 02-13-2008, 04:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
I was always under the impression that "being of faith" isn't supposed to be a money making proposition for either a group or some "preachers" I always thought it was supposed to be about well, you know the big guy...But I guess I could be wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity