Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
So many evangelical Christians use the above scripture to authenticate the New Testament. Not so. The NT had not been compiled at the time this scripture was penned. Indeed, very few people would have been in possession of Paul's letters, let alone the Gospel accounts. 2 Timothy 3:16 can only be referring to the OLD Testament or the Torah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I would assume the answer to that to be that it could be used to authenticate the entire bible since God is in charge of what would be included in the bible.
Hmmm . . .so God also inspired the collators of the Bible, those who determined what should and what should not be included in the New Testament?

How far do we take this "God inspired" stuff before it clearly becomes a stretch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How does a Bible believer do this?

How do you as a Bible believer determine that a particular verse was inspired by God?

How do you know which books were intended (by God) to be included in the Bible? How do you confirm that they were not altered from their original writing?
What ever they like is 'inspired'. What ever the don't like is subject to 'interpretation', 'context', 'hidden meaning' and 'you don't understand my god'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Because they were. The end.
That wasn't his question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I am not a theist anymore but I will try and answer that to the best of my knowledge.

The bible is the word of God so he would keep his communication accurate. God would not allow the bible to become corrupted.
Makes one wonder why, if that is the case, it has been altered so much.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:38 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
The bible has been claimed by God and there for anointed Word of God , and if we reject any part of it then we undermine God and His purpose ......It does not matter if that book was wrote hundreds after the cross or that book contradict the other book , God claimed the bible and it is His Word for man , there are no others ............ Even those there are some bible versions which have been watered down which can take away some understanding the outline is still correct in the eye of God , and Jesus Holy Spirit has complete knowledge of the whole Bible as it is today ................Still you can hear the prophetic Word of God speaking in the bible which is more direct to hear a word by God , like God would speak to Moses and the Moses would then pass some judgment for God and the message He said ...........or then there is critical rules Jesus said for His salvation , which will apply today where some are greater critics of Jesus salvation will reject , and not be saved to God

Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
No one knows the son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the son and to whomever the Son will reveal Him.

Whoever has heard from the Father and learned from Him comes to me. Not that anyone has seen the Father. Only the one who comes from God has seen the Father, I come from Him, He sent me.

Follow me and see.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt it. No, I think that Christians in general are just not very critical thinking. So they come up with off the wall ideas like this in order to justify themselves. They are only lying to themselves.
You doubt what? That God could have inspired the NT? That verse in particular? Why?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Acknowledging the validity of this rationale, why do you think God stopped inspiring us, jimmie??? Did we suddenly become unworthy of inspiration? Did we not need any further inspiration? What is the thinking here, jimmie?
Because the work of redemption was completed in Jesus.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
2 Tim 3:16 is a perfect example. How do you know that was inspired? How do you know that it was the last verse written in the Bible? It would have to have been the last verse in the Bible, if it were able to authorize all the other verses.

Just focus on that verse then. How does it have any authority?
We don't know. We weren't there.

It is taken by faith.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Scripture has it;

"The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets."

Render prophecy and you will see.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:44 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Scripture has it;
"The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets."
Render prophecy and you will see.
Yes, and ALL Scripture is inspired by God - 2nd Timothy 3:16-17

Since the Bible is Not written ABC as a dictionary, then the Bible can be researched and studied by subject or by topic arrangement. Taking one topic or subject at a time and thus we can see the internal harmony among its many Bible writers.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
like a good movie. I can't tell ya how, I just know it was good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity