Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
...snip...

Yeah, I fear... I fear the Lord.
As do all fundamentalists.

As would anyone in their right mind if the bible god was real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,723,778 times
Quote:
Is plagiarism from HuffPo part of your ministry? At least give credit to or acknowledge the list that you used...

Otherwise, here is what the ministers of Matthew 23 say to certain Christians when they don't like what they hear... fear, fear, fear, fear, fear, afraid, fear, afraid, fear, afraid...

Yeah, I fear... I fear the Lord.
My expectation of fundamentalists is that they refuse to read some things when they see the source. I'm actually quite glad you found out for yourself--good job, keep it up.

I am become all things (including a plagiarist) in order that some might be won. Is that more acceptable?

But please note--I did not see a copyright on the article--and when it comes to talking about God, even the Bible you read is full of plagiarists who used the name of Paul and Peter and John to write tales long after those who bore the name were gone. Does that bother you, too? And some of what I did borrow, I also reworked to express my own thoughts.

Please note that even the original blog by Samantha Field didn't include a copyright. And blogs don't have copyrights anyway do they?
Samantha Field Blogger; Progressive, liberal Christian

I'm willing to bet you've listened to hundreds of "plagiarized" sermons sitting in church. Fresh ideas don't always come--and pastors "borrow" frequently without "footnoting." If you think you haven't heard one, then you are dense beyond your religion. Virtually every long term pastor has selected sermons by X, Y, and Z in his library and frequently borrows material. I used to own a terrific set myself that I gave to a new pastor when I determined I wasn't going to be one.

Matthew 23 is a warning to those practicing religion. I rarely if ever attend church--probably not more than a score of times in the last decade. I'm concerned with being identified as someone who is trying to negatively impact the lives of others.

Sorry, that I've been unable to get you to look at your motivation for being a fundamentalist--but be certain of this--it has nothing to do with Jesus except in the greatest generalities. You have converted Jesus to look like the OT--that is what fundamentalism does. Because fearful people need RULES. And fear needs rules. Freedom is freedom to choose because Christ loves us--and I choose to love freely and spend my negative time on negative religion, which is all that fundamentalism truly is.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-25-2016 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
My expectation of fundamentalists is that they refuse to read some things when they see the source. I'm actually quite glad you found out for yourself--good job, keep it up.

I am become all things (including a plagiarist) in order that some might be won. Is that more acceptable?

But please note--I did not see a copyright on the article--and when it comes to talking about God, even the Bible you read is full of plagiarists who used the name of Paul and Peter and John to write tales long after those who bore the name were gone. Does that bother you, too? And some of what I did borrow, I also reworked to express my own thoughts.

Please note that even the original blog by Samantha Field didn't include a copyright. And blogs don't have copyrights anyway do they?

I'm willing to bet you've listened to hundreds of "plagiarized" sermons sitting in church. Fresh ideas don't always come--and pastors "borrow" frequently without "footnoting." If you think you haven't heard one, then you are dense beyond your religion. Virtually every long term pastor has selected sermons by X, Y, and Z in his library and frequently borrows material. I used to own a terrific set myself that I gave to a new pastor when I determined I wasn't going to be one.

Matthew 23 is a warning to those practicing religion. I rarely if ever attend church--probably not more than a score of times in the last decade. I'm concerned with being identified as someone who is trying to negatively impact the lives of others.

Sorry, that I've been unable to get you to look at your motivation for being a fundamentalist--but be certain of this--it has nothing to do with Jesus except in the greatest generalities. You have converted Jesus to look like the OT--that is what fundamentalism does. Because fearful people need RULES. And fear needs rules. Freedom is freedom to choose because Christ loves us--and I choose to love freely and spend my negative time on negative religion, which is all that fundamentalism truly is.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 AM

45,638 posts, read 27,250,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

A few comments...

I read this and wonder if you know what plagiarism is - especially when you start attributing it to the Bible.

I can tell that you rarely go to church. A church with strong believers would probably challenge you about your views. You continuously talk about others who fear - maybe it's you that has the fear. Because contrary to the blog (and you) discounting Hebrews 10:25 about meeting regularly with other Christians, it something "Christ followers" should do. And you are being disobedient. Maybe I am wrong, but you are probably not taking any type of communion - as Jesus commanded we do in remembrance of Him. That's more disobedience if that is indeed the case. Go back to Genesis 2 - what did the Lord say? It is not good to be alone. That is still the case today with regards to fellowshipping regularly with other believers. Even Jesus trafficked regularly with other believers and he was regularly in the synagogue.

So it doesn't surprise me that you are such an adversary to many Christians. It makes total sense to me. Because you just don't get to where you are by doing everything you should be doing on a regular basis. Somewhere along the line there is long term disobedience in an area or two that gets you further and further off track as time progresses. The good part is that you can get back on track if you are willing, and God will want to bless you more than you expect.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:24 AM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
As do all fundamentalists.

As would anyone in their right mind if the bible god was real.
Yes.

And the only thing they fear more than Bible-God is a universe with NO God at all.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:50 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:
Nobody is out of the loop. Christ is available for all people. People have turned from Islam to follow Christ.
...and people have turned from Christianity to Islam and from Christianity to Hinduism, Zoroastrianism and Buddhism, from Christianity to atheism from atheism to Buddhism etc. It means nothing other than that people change their beliefs.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Would someone explain in simple terms for those who may not know what it means to "follow Christ"?
Ummm...perhaps I can help here. You have to believe and hang onto every word allegedly spoken by the Bible character 'Jesus The Christ' as 'Truth' (capital T for added effect).

...unless that is, he tells you to sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor or not try to get your things back if they are stolen....and then you ignore him.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Somewhere along the line there is long term disobedience in an area or two that gets you further and further off track as time progresses. The good part is that you can get back on track if you are willing, and God will want to bless you more than you expect.
What you and so many mainstream Christians seem not to understand is that YOU are off-track from Christ's original Gospel and demonstration of God's TRUE NATURE. You follow the ancient ignorance of our ancestors' superstitious and barbaric beliefs about God and pretend that you can merge them with the God revealed by Christ. You can NOT! The good part is that you can get back on track if you are willing to embrace the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God), and God will want to bless you more than you expect.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:39 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,986,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What you and so many mainstream Christians seem not to understand is that YOU are off-track from Christ's original Gospel and demonstration of God's TRUE NATURE. You follow the ancient ignorance of our ancestors' superstitious and barbaric beliefs about God and pretend that you can merge them with the God revealed by Christ. You can NOT! The good part is that you can get back on track if you are willing to embrace the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God), and God will want to bless you more than you expect.
The same God
Who revealed Himself
truthfully in the Old Testament
is the same God Who revealed Himself
truthfully in the New Testament. Time is not
a factor when the truth is involved.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The same God
Who revealed Himself
truthfully in the Old Testament
is the same God Who revealed Himself
truthfully in the New Testament. Time is not
a factor when the truth is involved.
Sad, so very sad! Retaining the ignorant and barbaric beliefs of our ancient ancestors is no way to honor Jesus and His sacrifice to reveal the TRUE NATURE of God. There can be no merging of the barbaric beliefs of our primitive ancestors with the revelations of Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity