Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Jesus the only path to God?
No! 24 30.77%
Yes, but... 7 8.97%
Yes, period! 47 60.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:03 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,087,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Or maybe it is possible that Jesus Christ is actually the Great I AM?

When Thomas saw the ressurected Christ he professed His Deity:

John 20:26-29 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

The word for God that is used it Theos in the greek, which is the same word used in the Septuagint for the Creator in Genesis. Long before the NT was written, theós referred to the supreme being who owns and sustains all things.
Mind you that Jesus does not rebuke Thomas for this exclamation! Which anyone who is short of Deity, should definitely have done! Look at Peter when he is worshipped: Acts 10:25-26: When Peter entered, Cornelius met him, and fell at his feet and worshiped him. But Peter raised him up, saying, "Stand up; I too am just a man."
Rather Jesus commends Thomas' faith and blesses everyone who has not seen Him but still believes. So that leaves you with 2 options, either Jesus ís God, and that is why He does not decline Thomas' exclamation. Or He is a deceiver and insanely misguided to think that highly of himself, and he fooled all of the disciples and millions and millions of people over the centuries. But there's no in between.

Another example is: John 14:8-9 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

Jesus clearly makes Himself equal with the Father there, and the Jews understood that very well. That is why they called Him a blasphemer that makes Himself equal with God, and demanded His crucifixion eventually. So either you believe His own testimony, or you make Him out to be a huge deceiver or absolutely insane.

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
Nah...Not correct...Theos means lord and is also used for humans....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 12:31 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Is Jesus the only path to God?

Maturity is the path to God, but many have not grown-up.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 AM

910 posts, read 1,340,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
John 14

6 Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Acts 4

12 Peter said, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

What say you?
Yes, but...

Some things need to be clarified. Most religions including Christians worship angels, not Our Lord Jesus Christ. Christians worship angel Jehova, and Jesus, not Our Lord Jesus Christ. Jehova is an angel of God, which related to man after Adam and Eve were sacked from the garden. jesus is meaningless without attaching his correct description "Our Lord Jesus Christ".

The Muslims worship angel Alla who is not up to Christ, talkless of God Almighty. Muslims also like Christians believe Our Lord Jesus is coming back to rule.

Because the two great religions we see (christianity and Islam) take their teachings from angels, they are not the absolute truth, though they have some truth in them.

For the avoidance of doubt, everything we see o earth is under the Father. Atheist, Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Idol worshippers etc. In my Father's house, there are indeed many mansions.

So you have:

God,
Christ
Holy Spirit making up the trinity

Under this comes the Archangels and Angels

Under them, the Spirits of the Heavens

Then

Spirit of the air (world)

Humans

All forms of worship we see on earth fall under the influence of these spirits, with the Spirit of the air, being the lowest level spirits which Satan controls.

But, who created Satan? The answer is God, so those that are influenced by him are also children of God (Job1:1-10)

So you see the many ways to worship . The only direct way to the Father is through Our Lord Jesus Christ and many modern day Christians do not get to that level in the first place.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Nah...Not correct...Theos means lord and is also used for humans....

So that would read, my Lord and my Lord, does that make sense to you?

Here is what wikipedia says about Theos:

The word God was used to represent Greek Theos, LatinDeus in Bible translations, first in the Gothic translation of the New Testament by Ulfilas. For the etymology of deus, see *dyēus.
Greek "θεός " (theos) means god in English. It is often connected with Greek "θέω" (theō), "run", and "θεωρέω" (theoreō), "to look at, to see, to observe", Latin feriae "holidays", fanum "temple", and also Armenian di-k` "gods". Alternative suggestions (e.g. by De Saussure) connect *dhu̯es- "smoke, spirit", attested in Baltic and Germanic words for "spook," and ultimately cognate with Latin fumus "smoke." The earliest attested form of the word is the Mycenaean Greek te-o (plural te-o-i written in Linear B syllabic script.

Where does it refer to humans by the way? Do you have any source? Rather Theos refers sometimes to a god or gods, but not in this context. There is no ‘a god’ in this passage. Regarding the ‘a god’ supposition, I’d be sure to mention that there are 135 occurrences of ‘my God’ in the Bible. When spoken by a Jew, it always refers to Yahweh (unless Jn 20:28 is an exception). Further, calling ‘a god’ MY God would break the first commandment (Ex 20:3). For how could a good temple Jew call another being His God, without placing that god before Yahweh? MOU is possessive – thus, Thomas is making a very personal statement – “my OWN God!” It simply is not credible that he could say this of any God but Yahwah.

Source: For an Answer: Christian Apologetics John 20:28, look it up if you want. It's a pretty interesting refutation of the Jehovas Witness lies about Jesus Christ being less than God.

Neither a god or gods makes sense in this context of a monotheist. What is relevant is that Thomas (a true monotheistic Hebrew not a biblical monotheistic polytheist) worshiped Jesus as his God.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,270,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

BAM! Right between the eyes!!

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Have you grown up?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,270,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Have you grown up?
Why, if this isn't a sign that it has NOT happened in one's?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:

The word God was used to represent Greek Theos, LatinDeus in Bible translations, first in the Gothic translation of the New Testament by Ulfilas. For the etymology of deus, see *dyēus.
Greek "θεός " (theos) means god in English. It is often connected with Greek "θέω" (theō), "run", and "θεωρέω" (theoreō), "to look at, to see, to observe", Latin feriae "holidays", fanum "temple", and also Armenian di-k` "gods". Alternative suggestions (e.g. by De Saussure) connect *dhu̯es- "smoke, spirit", attested in Baltic and Germanic words for "spook," and ultimately cognate with Latin fumus "smoke." The earliest attested form of the word is the Mycenaean Greek te-o (plural te-o-i written in Linear B syllabic script.

Where does it refer to humans by the way? Do you have any source? Rather Theos refers sometimes to a god or gods, but not in this context. There is no ‘a god’ in this passage. Regarding the ‘a god’ supposition, I’d be sure to mention that there are 135 occurrences of ‘my God’ in the Bible. When spoken by a Jew, it always refers to Yahweh (unless Jn 20:28 is an exception). Further, calling ‘a god’ MY God would break the first commandment (Ex 20:3). For how could a good temple Jew call another being His God, without placing that god before Yahweh? MOU is possessive – thus, Thomas is making a very personal statement – “my OWN God!” It simply is not credible that he could say this of any God but Yahwah.

Source: For an Answer: Christian Apologetics John 20:28, look it up if you want. It's a pretty interesting refutation of the Jehovas Witness lies about Jesus Christ being less than God.

Neither a god or gods makes sense in this context of a monotheist. What is relevant is that Thomas (a true monotheistic Hebrew not a biblical monotheistic polytheist) worshiped Jesus as his God.
Well, then you call Jesus a liar...

Old 05-03-2016, 06:47 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, then you call Jesus a liar...

Explain what you mean, or are you scared to look at your convictions and give a serious response..?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:

H430

Original: אלהים

Transliteration: 'ĕlôhı̂ym

Phonetic: el-o-heem'

BDB Definition:

(plural)
rulers, judges
divine ones
angels
gods
(plural intensive - singular meaning)
god, goddess
godlike one
works or special possessions of God
the (true) God
God
Origin: plural of H433

TWOT entry: 93c

Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine

Strong's Definition: Plural of H433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God ; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates ; and sometimes as a superlative: - angels, X exceeding, God (gods) (-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.

G2316

Original: θεός

Transliteration: theos

Phonetic: theh'-os

Thayer Definition:

a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities
the Godhead, trinity
God the Father, the first person in the trinity
Christ, the second person of the trinity
Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity
spoken of the only and true God
refers to the things of God
his counsels, interests, things due to him
whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
God's representative or viceregent
of magistrates and judges
Origin: "of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with G3588) the supreme Divinity"

TDNT entry: 04:05,3

Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine

Strong's Definition: Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with G3588) the supreme Divinity ; figuratively a magistrate ; by Hebraism very: - X exceeding, God, god [-ly, -ward].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity