Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times

Advertisements

After reading Dorothy Day and listening to the Pope, I could see myself crossing over...
Attached Thumbnails
I might be ready for Catholicism..-dorothy_day_love.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
After reading Dorothy Day and listening to the Pope, I could see myself crossing over...
Read "Introduction to the Devout Life" by Francis de Sales. I think it's right up your alley.

IIRC it's free on Amazon if you have a Kindle. My dog-eared, highlighted, hard copy fell apart years ago. Love that book.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post
read "introduction to the devout life" by francis de sales. I think it's right up your alley.

Iirc it's free on amazon if you have a kindle. My dog-eared, highlighted, hard copy fell apart years ago. Love that book.
i o u!!!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,619,291 times
Quote:
of the religions is makes the most sense. I don't do magic and celibacy, but the structure is sound. The Exicution needs work.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM

425 posts, read 277,029 times
-
I strongly advise intelligent inquirers to consult non Catholic, independent sources of information about the religion of Roman Catholicism. In spiritual matters pertaining to heaven and hell; one cannot be too cautious considering the potentially grave consequences for choosing unwisely.

Q: What's wrong with attending the Church's RCIA classes?

A: The Church's conduct, past and present, has easily demonstrated that it cannot be trusted to be honest about itself. Seeking the truth about Catholicism from the Church is about as reliable as seeking the truth about North Korea from Kim Jong Un.

The paragraph below; from the official catechism of the Catholic Church; acknowledges everyone's rights and freedoms in regard to selecting a religion of their own personal choice.

"Man has the right to act in conscience, and in freedom, so as personally to make moral decisions. He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters." (CCC 1782)

However, be aware that once you join the Catholic Church, you will be relinquishing those rights.

You will be placed under the jurisdiction of Rome, which is a theocratic form of government with Christ supposedly at its head; and you will be expected to fully comply with everything in the Catechism, plus all of Rome's traditions, and every Bull, every Holy Day of Obligation, every Encyclical plus all of the Sermon On The Mount and everything taught in the epistles of Paul, Peter, James, Jude, and John; along with every ruling of Rome's Church Councils including Nicaea 1 & 2, Constantinople 1 & 2 & 3, Ephesus, Chalcedon, Lateran 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5, Lyons 1 & 2, Vienne, Constance, Florence, Trent, and Vaticans 1 & 2.

In addition, you will not be permitted to either interpret, or apply, the Holy Bible's teachings sans hierarchy oversight.

"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ." This means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome." (CCC 85)

Rome will have the final say in all matters pertaining to your faith and practices.

Matt 16:19 . .And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Dissidents merit punishment; even to the extent of excommunication.

Matt 18:17 . . If he refuses to listen even to the Church, treat him as you would a pagan or one who collaborates with the enemy.

If a candidate for Roman Catholic membership is unsure that they can fully comply with all that the Church demands, and all that the Church teaches and stands for; then they might want to consider looking for a version of Christianity that's a bit more accommodating: like maybe Christ's version.

Matt 11:28-30 . . Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old 05-12-2016, 10:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times
I loved the innocence of being a young Catholic...it is an attractive religion.
Alas, when I delved deeper and grew in wisdom, it was not for me.

But, I love the Catholic Mystics and poets and teachers and saints!
Catholics have the ability to see beyond 'this place'...I love that about them.
You can talk about some amazing miracle ...and they get it with no doubt!
They also get bleeding, burning devotion to God...it is in their bones...who else
but a Catholic could lay face down on a cold stone floor in front of a huge Crucifix in penance for hours!

Ah, Catholics.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:04 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,523 times
Catholicism is a good thing, Roman Catholicism is a different story though..

Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,060,041 times
Quote:

G-d help you. Peace

Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
But is Catholicism ready for you?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I loved the innocence of being a young Catholic...it is an attractive religion.
Alas, when I delved deeper and grew in wisdom, it was not for me.

But, I love the Catholic Mystics and poets and teachers and saints!
Catholics have the ability to see beyond 'this place'...I love that about them.
You can talk about some amazing miracle ...and they get it with no doubt!
They also get bleeding, burning devotion to God...it is in their bones...who else
but a Catholic could lay face down on a cold stone floor in front of a huge Crucifix in penance for hours!

Ah, Catholics.
All I can say is that here in Michigan, Catholic girls did NOT start much too late...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity