Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 11:41 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,954,677 times

Advertisements

It was too bad that Sodom and Gomorrah had no warning before it was destroyed, oh wait a minute maybe I am wrong, maybe it came down to a confession by the few to salvage the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:42 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,729,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
What does loving your enemy have to do with one's status as a child of God or a child of the devil? A willful sinner is the latter -- as it is written.
It means that they are obedient to the will of Jesus Christ. Your beliefs are about words, not deeds.

John Bunyan wrote a book entitled Pilgrim's Progress in 1678, To paraphrase a line from that great book:

"Those who profess faith are great prattlers and talkers and disputers but do little of anything that bespeaks love to the poor or self-denial in outward things. Many think religion is made up of words, a very wide mistake."

TALKING about Jesus is a kind of performance that becomes the product--if we recommend what is good, then of course, we ourselves must be good. Words can be a form of action, but they can also be a substitute for action. Talking about love is not the same as loving. And what does Scripture say about it?

Quote:
And we have this commandment from Him: Whoever loves God must love his brother as well.
I John 4:21

But you would ask, "Am I my brother's keeper?" And then you would narrow down who your brother is to keep it in the same small circle of justification.

You and jeff enjoy condemning the LGBTQ community. But the world is not changed by those who condemn. It is changed by those who act.

How can you come close to loving your enemy, if you won't even get to the point of loving people you don't even know?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:56 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It means that they are obedient to the will of Jesus Christ. Your beliefs are about words, not deeds.

John Bunyan wrote a book entitled Pilgrim's Progress in 1678, To paraphrase a line from that great book:

"Those who profess faith are great prattlers and talkers and disputers but do little of anything that bespeaks love to the poor or self-denial in outward things. Many think religion is made up of words, a very wide mistake."

TALKING about Jesus is a kind of performance that becomes the product--if we recommend what is good, then of course, we ourselves must be good. Words can be a form of action, but they can also be a substitute for action. Talking about love is not the same as loving. And what does Scripture say about it?

I John 4:21

But you would ask, "Am I my brother's keeper?" And then you would narrow down who your brother is to keep it in the same small circle of justification.

You and jeff enjoy condemning the LGBTQ community. But the world is not changed by those who condemn. It is changed by those who act.

How can you come close to loving your enemy, if you won't even get to the point of loving people you don't even know?
Hmm so you are telling him he should love his enemy, yet you yourself said:
Quote:
jeff, you are good enough to be a homosexual--don't repress yourself and don't let that hateful community of Pharisees you hang with tell you anything different.
Isn't that being scornful and condemning towards others? Think about it..

Old 05-12-2016, 12:06 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,993,859 times
The OP is correct.

2Pe_2:6 and condemns the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, reducing them to cinders by an overthrow, having placed them as an example for those about to be irreverent:"
Jud_1:7 As Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities about them in like manner to these committing ultra-prostitution, and coming away after other flesh, are lying before us, a specimen, experiencing the justice of fire eonian."

Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,993,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40
If you are going to play that game then one must wonder why atheists and people like you only seem to care about gay people and EXTREMELY defensive of them. You know there are other groups that face much worse discrimination out there than gay people, right? Why don't you campaign for their equality?
All Christians should care about the gay and lesbian. But jeff, I sometimes wonder if a lot of atheists don't want there to be a God so they can do their homosexual stuff without guilt? I'm not saying that is how it is but it has crossed my huge mind from time to time.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,057,599 times
Seriously? Do we really need to beat this dead horse again, or was one locked over 150+ page thread on this subject not enough? Peace

Old 05-12-2016, 01:48 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,953,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
It was too bad that Sodom and Gomorrah had no warning before it was destroyed, oh wait a minute maybe I am wrong, maybe it came down to a confession by the few to salvage the place.
well put. God will always have a remant.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,519 times
Quote:
well put. God will always have a remant.
what's a remant?

Old 05-12-2016, 03:29 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,383,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
All Christians should care about the gay and lesbian. But jeff, I sometimes wonder if a lot of atheists don't want there to be a God so they can do their homosexual stuff without guilt? I'm not saying that is how it is but it has crossed my huge mind from time to time.
'Do their homosexual stuff'...

Old 05-12-2016, 03:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,707 times
Quote:
A willful sinner is not a child of God; as it is written, he or she is a child of the devil.
And the devil is a child of...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity