Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 06:18 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
On another note, Jesus said that He would not return until it was like the days of Lot (Sodom & Gomorrah) . . .
Actually He didn't say that. He said that His coming would be like that of Sodom where, even as the city folk went about their normal everyday business, oblivious as to what was about to happen, it rained fire and brimstone and destroyed them.

Even so, what does this have to do with homosexuality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
. . .yet liberals say that it is better nowadays than it was 50-60 years. Are people today more or less hospitable to homosexuals? What about other groups? Clearly, people of today are more hospitable and accepting. So, the mere lack of Sodom's hospitality can be eliminated as to the reason for its destruction.
You're misunderstanding and downplaying what the biblical term "inhospitable' means. But, of course there were other issues that would have increased in intensity over time and eventually led to the straw that broke the camel's back. I personally prefer not to emphasize the use of 'inhospitable' to explain the destruction of S&G if I can ...even though we ARE certainly told that mistreatment of the poor WAS contributory to their destruction. There would have been all kinds of shenanigans going on there, not the least of which would have been idolatry practices which GOD HATES. These would be the 'abominations' Ezekiel speaks of.

Anyway, we can speculate about these things until the cows come home. Sodom and Gomorrah will not rise from their ashes like the Phoenix ....particularly since they and the story attached to them were likely not true in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:10 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

[color="Navy"]You're misunderstanding and downplaying what the biblical term "inhospitable' means. But, of course there were other issues that would have increased in intensity over time and eventually led to the straw that broke the camel's back. I personally prefer not to emphasize the use of 'inhospitable' to explain the destruction of S&G if I can ...even though we ARE certainly told that mistreatment of the poor WAS contributory to their destruction. There would have been all kinds of shenanigans going on there, not the least of which would have been idolatry practices which GOD HATES. These would be the 'abominations' Ezekiel speaks of.

If that was the case then God would have wiped out all the pagan nations because they were doing the same thing. Why only focus on Sodom? No something extreme had to be going on there. The fact that the men wanted to rape the angels alone shows that they had homosexual desires. Jude 1:7 also cements the fact that sexual sin was part of their sin.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If that was the case then God would have wiped out all the pagan nations because they were doing the same thing. Why only focus on Sodom? No something extreme had to be going on there. The fact that the men wanted to rape the angels alone shows that they had homosexual desires. Jude 1:7 also cements the fact that sexual sin was part of their sin.
Newsflash jeffy:

It never happened. It's a story. Discussing its ramifications is simply a hypothetical exercise.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Newsflash jeffy:

It never happened. It's a story. Discussing its ramifications is simply a hypothetical exercise.
Newsflash, making bold claims doesn't prove anything. You have zero proof that the story never happened.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Newsflash, making bold claims doesn't prove anything. You have zero proof that the story never happened.
Hardly a bold claim, jeffy.

I have common sense and a working intellect which informs me that a story about a city wherein every man, woman and child wants to have anal sex with angels and ends with a woman turning into a pillar of salt is complete and utter nonsense.

What YOU have for "proof" is someone wrote the story down and somebody else put it in a storybook.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Hardly a bold claim, jeffy.

I have common sense and a working intellect which informs me that a story about a city wherein every man, woman and child wants to have anal sex with angels and ends with a woman turning into a pillar of salt is complete and utter nonsense.

What YOU have for "proof" is someone wrote the story down and somebody else put it in a storybook.
I have common sense and a working intellect that tells me that an ancient culture thousands of years ago didn't function the same way as modern day society. Just look at the descendents of such cultures. Do you think there are good moral people within ISIS? Most people would have no problem with wiping them all out.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I have common sense and a working intellect that tells me that an ancient culture thousands of years ago didn't function the same way as modern day society. Just look at the descendents of such cultures. Do you think there are good moral people within ISIS? Most people would have no problem with wiping them all out.
That makes even less sense than usual.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
That makes even less sense than usual.
I think it means Jeff thinks ISIS is evil because their ancestors were evil.

What remains unclear is if he thinks ISIS is made up of a bunch of murdering, evil homosexuals and their ancestors were a bunch of murdering, evil homosexuals. I wouldn't put that past him.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you are sad for her, your feelings are misplaced. You appear to be firmly entrenched in Messianic beliefs. (That's fine. We all get to believe whatever we want.) It's abundantly clear you think you are 100% correct in matters of faith and those who believe something different are in need of correction. By you. Thus, it comes as no surprise you are unwilling to accept, much less respect, the beliefs of anyone who walks a different path.

Hubris does that.

No, someone with a SPIRITUAL experience with the TRUE SPIRIT OF G-D, just naturally has those feelings for those trapped in pseudo spiritual ideologies that do not offer any reward but death. What you don't know, because without the Spirit you can't know, is that every revelation that comes from the Spirit, engrafts that portion of the Word into you, thus changing you from the inside out, whereas all other carnal minded pursuits, try to change you from the outside in, and you and them, perish together.

He offers LIFE, and LIFE more abundantly, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO DIE TO RECEIVE IT. There is NOTHING in physical death that has any power to change you spiritually, death is OUR ENEMY, and you're making a covenant with it! Wake up! You've been sold a lie by the prince of lies. Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
You are revealing the ugliness of spirit required to become what you have become -- a bible-babbling minion of a souless god.

So says someone who glories in the mud and husks of the swine, when he could be claiming his rightful place as a son of a King, with a clean robe (soul), a ring (of authority and inheritance), and the finest morsels to dine on. Now THAT'S the ugliness of the carnal mind. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity