Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,059,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Whenever I read something absurd posted as fact I like to donate books to the library at my local elementary school. It's more productive than rolling my eyes or snorting in derision. I especially like to be able to donate books that will educate young minds so kids can grow up with factual truths in their brains, not superstitious beliefs and stories presented as fact. This month's book will be about ostriches. It will be suitable for the nature section, not the fairy tale section.

That's a nice thing to do. It's also great to use those same books to see how the natural creation witness mimics the spiritual truths contained in the Word. One of the best days I had was when I read my kids 5th grade level science encyclopedias all day. It was astounding to me to see the mirror image. ALL of the heavens declare His glory. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No you take no pleasure in RIGHTEOUSNESS as Jesus lived it---with compassion for all (except Pharisees)
You haven't spoken ANY word that comes from Jesus--you love Paul and the OT because you practice the LAW in your religion. That is what fundamentalism is--the LAW--and nothing else.

And it indicates you are a fearful person, worried about how the world is turning out. I have no fears of where the world is headed because I know who controls the final outcome.

But so you can look into your own soul, I will repeat many of the same points about how fundamentalism appeals to people with psychological struggles:

1. Absolutist (nothing is relative)
2. Literalist (until something disagrees with their viewpoint--then see below)
3. Selective (see above--fundamentalists often choose aspects of their tradition and reinterpret their sources of tradition to both justify their fears and substantiate their opposition to modernism).
4. Authoritarian (Pastoral or ecclesial authority is also highly regarded in Christian fundamentalist groups)
5. With-or-Against (Members have the burden of either being completely in the group or set apart from it as an enemy)
6. Strict Morality (including dressing modestly, not smoking or drinking, a refusal to read certain literature or listen to particular music, and a whole host of other norms)
7. End Time Certainty (certainty regarding the future of the world, an apocalyptic end, judgment of unbelievers, and your own final vindication in the world to come) Aren't we special???
8. Violence (while not all fundamentalists are violent, almost all support national violence as a way of "honoring" God--wave the flag and pass the ammunition)
9. Exclusive (Fundamentalists believe that they alone have access to objective truth and absolute morality)
10. Reactionary: ( Fundamentalist groups tend to be defined by those aspects of social change that they are against, which leads to prejudice and resistance to change)
Jacobus Vorster, the director of the School of Ecclesiastical Studies of the North-West University in South Africa, defines fundamentalism as describing "a certain form of religious belief which is characterized by extremism" and as a means for specific religious groups to protect their identities from perceived threats.
Source:10 Characteristics of Religious Fundamentalism | eHow

Reading the above is like reading the soul of practically all fundamentalists. Maybe you are an exception. All of us are waiting for a post from you to prove that you are.

Compassion is also sharing the Word to the darkest of darkened hearts, knowing the outcome will not at least initially, be pleasant. Respect of persons, tailors to what they perceive their audience wants to hear, thereby bypassing the friction to follow.

I love the Spirit of G-d and His Word, and Paul was used to deliver some of that Word. I don't worship him.

As for your labels, I ignore them in Christendom and so why would I pay any attention to non-Christian ones? Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 05-24-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Are you a happy man, Rbbi1? You'll say 'yes', of course. I'm just wondering what it must be like having to walk on eggshells all the time for fear of putting a foot wrong and somehow offending an ever-watching, ever finger-pointing deity. You and others on this board may not be like this in real life but your/their posts suggest that you/they are.

You confuse the fear of man with fear of G-d. The two are not alike in the least. Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Perhaps the are convinced that they are right and are free from guilt. I do wonder though, whether they are afraid that somebody somewhere might be having fun?

It's really humorous to watch the effect the Word is having on all of you and your imaginations, and you don't even realize it.

Humorous, because I remember how hard it was for Him to reel ME in; it took spiritual dynamite to make me come to the surface to be caught (I can laugh about it now, but it was not funny at the time), and I pray some of you come to that end as well, if there is no other way to break your stubborn carnal ass natures. Free the ass, the Master has need of it. Go, G-d, go! Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
What you don't know, because without the Spirit you can't know, is that every revelation that comes from the Spirit, engrafts that portion of the Word into you, thus changing you from the inside out, whereas all other carnal minded pursuits, try to change you from the outside in, and you and them, perish together.
Is that another example of your awesome spidey powers that allow you to know about your fellow posters? You seem to think you know all about us. What we know....what we don't know. Who has the Spirit....who doesn't.

My goodness.....it's like you're Esmeralda the fortune-telling, soothsayer mannequin (that's a fancy word for dummy) at Disneyland. The difference is she charges a quarter and is a much-beloved staple on Main Street and you just pop up telling strangers on the internet stuff you've obviously decided is some sort of deep insight into our beings.

Speaking for myself....and i'm repeating myself because you seem to be immune to the truth.....you don't know as much as you think you do. Oh....you also bring to mind the Scientologists in the blue building in Hollywood who like to tell all the stool pigeons looking for answers that they can see what ails them spiritually. You...Esmeralda....the Scientologists.....of the three I'll go with Esmeralda for a quarter.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-24-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 12:38 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,384,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
I have a Bible and the Spirit of God, so the theories of men are tossed aside. What's more, you claim this "evangelical" is a chief anti gay debater, but that proves nothing. Perhaps he's a fine man, but that doesn't equate to having the truth of the Scriptures. Lastly, you say that I'm judgmental, but I don't just accept people's opinions as truth -- evangelical or not.
Do you even know the meaning of the word "research"?...How about "unbiased?"... I have the bible along with several Greek and Hebrew concordances and I like to think I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit as well but I'm not about to pretend like I have a perfect understanding of everything in the bible just by asking the Holy Spirit! Newsflash: He doesn't make it that easy and if he did, we wouldn't have 30,000+ Christian denominations! So, O perfect Holy Spirit listener/translator...quit being a lazy know it all and get Studying! You might just find out these people are in fact evangelicals and know a heck of a lot more than you.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
So says someone who glories in the mud and husks of the swine, when he could be claiming his rightful place as a son of a King, with a clean robe (soul), a ring (of authority and inheritance), and the finest morsels to dine on. Now THAT'S the ugliness of the carnal mind. Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 01:55 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
I think it means Jeff thinks ISIS is evil because their ancestors were evil.

What remains unclear is if he thinks ISIS is made up of a bunch of murdering, evil homosexuals and their ancestors were a bunch of murdering, evil homosexuals. I wouldn't put that past him.
Are the ISIS members descended from the Ammonites and Moabites, i.e., Lot's kids with his daughters?

Deep questions. Another one:

Did local DeadSea deer lick Lot's wife?

Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Is that another example of your awesome spidey powers that allow you to know about your fellow posters? You seem to think you know all about us. What we know....what we don't know. Who has the Spirit....who doesn't.

My goodness.....it's like you're Esmeralda the fortune-telling, soothsayer mannequin (that's a fancy word for dummy) at Disneyland. The difference is she charges a quarter and is a much-beloved staple on Main Street and you just pop up telling strangers on the internet stuff you've obviously decided is some sort of deep insight into our beings.

Speaking for myself....and i'm repeating myself because you seem to be immune to the truth.....you don't know as much as you think you do. Oh....you also bring to mind the Scientologists in the blue building in Hollywood who like to tell all the stool pigeons looking for answers that they can see what ails them spiritually. You...Esmeralda....the Scientologists.....of the three I'll go with Esmeralda for a quarter.

"Awesome spidey powers" have nothing to do with it. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. You give yourself away with every post. Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 02:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
You give yourself away with every post. Peace
I've nothing to hide. And I have no trouble pointing out hubris-filled posts. And posters. I also have no trouble calling out malarkey. My heart is just fine and my mouth speaks without fear.

I'm from the 60's and can spot cult-speak. You are fluent.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-24-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity