Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by FundamentalistWhat I truly find a handicap is when scripture gives 2 opposing statements. As a systematic theologian you have to accept both statements as equally true, simply because they are scripture.
Reconciling these 2 different opposing statements often lead to a dogma.
And imo a dogma only complicates matters.
While I on the other hand keep it very simple; I am not concerned about the afterlife, prophecies, or how the earth began; I'm only interested in Jesus' philosophy so I can understand his motivations thus also his actions.
Whether Jesus is the son of God, God Himself, or just a simple man is irrelevant for me.
This way I don’t have to carry around that much knowledge (or luggage as I see it) since I probably won’t use it anyway.
So I’m the kind of person who starts fumbling with his newly bought DVD player instead of 1st reading the whole manual to understand how to operate it properly.
I don’t need to know everything it can do.
One answer to this post. Holy Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,001,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
thus getting the glory?

Romans 8:28

28And we know that God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

In His providence, God orchestrates every event in life- even suffering, temptation, and sin-to accomplish both our temporal and eternal benefit.
And what about those not 'called according to his purpose' such as the other 5 billion people in the world?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
And what about those not 'called according to his purpose' such as the other 5 billion people in the world?
Were you and the 5 billion not born? I would say that is according to His purpose.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Were you and the 5 billion not born? I would say that is according to His purpose.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am saying that you are and the 5 billion are part of His purpose too.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,564 times
And now a break for our sponsor of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I've always wondered why Christian fundmentalists go as far as to say global warming isn't happening.
Here is another scriptural reference to Our Lord Jesus Christ shall be appearing soon to judge the House of God first as the earth knows He shall be appearing soon.

Psalm 114: 1When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language; 2Judah was his sanctuary, and Israel his dominion. 3The sea saw it, and fled: Jordan was driven back. 4The mountains skipped like rams, and the little hills like lambs. 5What ailed thee, O thou sea, that thou fleddest? thou Jordan, that thou wast driven back? 6Ye mountains, that ye skipped like rams; and ye little hills, like lambs? 7Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob; 8Which turned the rock into a standing water, the flint into a fountain of waters.

Can the media sensation of global warming be a cover up by the devil to keep those from looking up?

But God will not be denied. He will force the lifting up of the head.

Psalm 110:1The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. 2The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. 3Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. 4The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. 5The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. 6He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries. 7He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.

Now back to our hijacked thread of free will.

Consider this: was it man's free will to disregard the OP of this thread?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
And now a break for our sponsor of this thread:

Here is another scriptural reference to Our Lord Jesus Christ shall be appearing soon to judge the House of God first as the earth knows He shall be appearing soon.

Psalm 114: 1When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language; 2Judah was his sanctuary, and Israel his dominion. 3The sea saw it, and fled: Jordan was driven back. 4The mountains skipped like rams, and the little hills like lambs. 5What ailed thee, O thou sea, that thou fleddest? thou Jordan, that thou wast driven back? 6Ye mountains, that ye skipped like rams; and ye little hills, like lambs? 7Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob; 8Which turned the rock into a standing water, the flint into a fountain of waters.

Can the media sensation of global warming be a cover up by the devil to keep those from looking up?

But God will not be denied. He will force the lifting up of the head.

Psalm 110:1The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. 2The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. 3Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. 4The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. 5The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. 6He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries. 7He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.

Now back to our hijacked thread of free will.

Consider this: was it man's free will to disregard the OP of this thread?

My bad. I'll shush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity