Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 08:28 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
The must frustrating thing for me is that MisticPhD has repeatedly said the the Bible 'CONTAINS inspirations' from God, but only He is spiritually astute enough to know which verses are inspired and which aren't.
<snip>

Your Favorite Fundie

Mystic has NEVER said any such thing. He has said (paraphrasing) that one must view the bible through the lens of the spirit of God who is love to discern it rightly; everyone is capable of doing that, but many choose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:58 AM

33 posts, read 21,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I lean more towards it being a spiritual awakening from the slumber of race belief and separation from God to the reality of who we really are, that person we forgot that we are by being lulled to sleep by race belief and belief in separation from God.
Jesus said to Nicodemus 'you must be born again (or) from above' not 'you must be conceived again.' Also He did not say 'you must be spiritually awakened again'. Mankind without God is not spiritually asleep but spiritually dead, thus the need for a spiritual rebirth.
Quote:
Jesus Christ from a young age saw and knew where he came from and by it grew in stature and wisdom.
Agreed!!!

Yet the one difference between Him even in His youth and us is that He did not have the inclination to sin as we do. It was at the age of 12 that he began to understand His special relationship with the Father. He is the only begotten of the Father (God). He was conceived of the Holy Spirit. We on the other hand are the procreation of a man and a woman.

MysticPhD and others like him insist that the only characteristic that God has is LOVE and our "ignorant, barbaric and savage ancestors" and I have it all wrong concerning the nature of God.

Your Favorite Fundie

Old 06-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:

MysticPhD and others like him insist that the only characteristic that God has is LOVE and our "ignorant, barbaric and savage ancestors" and I have it all wrong concerning the nature of God.

Your Favorite Fundie
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not flat-out lying by making these false statements, and it's simply a matter of unintentionally reading things into what others say that allow you to dismiss their points without any thought on your part.

Mystic has NEVER said that the only characteristic God has is love. What has been said is that God IS love. If you believe that, then everything else which is true of God cannot contradict that.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos
The must frustrating thing for me is that MisticPhD has repeatedly said the the Bible 'CONTAINS inspirations' from God, but only He is spiritually astute enough to know which verses are inspired and which aren't.
<snip>

Your Favorite Fundie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Mystic has NEVER said any such thing. He has said (paraphrasing) that one must view the bible through the lens of the spirit of God who is love to discern it rightly; everyone is capable of doing that, but many choose not to.
I'm sorry I should have made myself clearer. The bold in my post which is quoted above was meant to be my observation based on what MysticPhD has said. However since he does not believe all of the Bible is the inspired word of God it makes little or no sense to use any of it to point out contradictions in his beliefs. Because the spirit of God dwelling in him tells him that anything but his beliefs are wrong.

So I can safely assume you agree with MysticPhd.

Your Favorite Fundie

Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I should have made myself clearer. The bold in my post which is quoted above was meant to be my observation based on what MysticPhD has said.
And again he has NEVER claimed that he is the only one with spiritual maturity to discern truth.

Quote:
However since he does not believe all of the Bible is the inspired word of God it makes little or no sense to use any of it to point out contradictions in his beliefs. Because the spirit of God dwelling in him tells him that anything but his beliefs are wrong.
And again, IF you believe that God IS love, anything which contradicts that is what is wrong.

Quote:

Your Favorite Fundie
Since you obviously still do not understand what Mystic is saying, I think you will do well not to assume anything about what I do and do not agree with.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
I'm sorry I should have made myself clearer. The bold in my post which is quoted above was meant to be my observation based on what MysticPhD has said. However since he does not believe all of the Bible is the inspired word of God it makes little or no sense to use any of it to point out contradictions in his beliefs. Because the spirit of God dwelling in him tells him that anything but his beliefs are wrong.

Your Favorite Fundie
The point is that YOU believe that the Bible is authority in its own right and contradictions in it should give YOU pause, not that you will acknowledge that they are contradictions. What Mystic and others believe is that thew Bible can be a useful TOOL for the Spirit, but the authority belongs to the Spirit as promised by Jesus and recorded in more than one place in YOUR authority. Do you believe that the Spirit is to be our guide?

Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point is that YOU believe that the Bible is authority in its own right and contradictions in it should give YOU pause, not that you will acknowledge that they are contradictions. What Mystic and others believe is that thew Bible can be a useful TOOL for the Spirit, but the authority belongs to the Spirit as promised by Jesus and recorded in more than one place in YOUR authority. Do you believe that the Spirit is to be our guide?
In answer to your question, yes. the Holy Spirit is our guide. Jesus said to His disciples:

(John 14:25 [NKJV])
“These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.

(John 14:26 [NKJV])
“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

He will teach us all things and bring to remembrance all things the Jesus said.

Your Favorite Fundie

Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
In answer to your question, yes. the Holy Spirit is our guide. Jesus said to His disciples:

(John 14:25 [NKJV])
“These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.

(John 14:26 [NKJV])
“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

He will teach us all things and bring to remembrance all things the Jesus said.

Your Favorite Fundie
So, why do you supplant the promised guide with a book to which you assign the authority of the Spirit?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When the SOURCE of the "begetting" is MALE it is always conception, period! Of course, it can refer to an actual birth when the SOURCE is FEMALE, or when we are talking specifically about a BIRTH EVENT of a person whether male or female or figuratively, as in your example of Paul and his citizenship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Personal opinion: Mystic has this wrong: the "born again" comes when we turn our lives around and commit to the love Jesus taught as a way of life. I think that what he is talking about is "sanctification," but I also think that the difference in perception on this makes no difference whatsoever to the message of Christ and is not worth arguing about.
I suspect we are simply talking past each other, rather than disagreeing, nate. There is and WILL be a birth, but it will happen upon our physical death when we are "born as Spirit." That which is born of Spirit is Spirit, not Flesh. However, what you are referring to is a Spiritual awakening (Sanctification), what I call the Conception of our Spiritual "pregnancy," as the Seed of God's love is implanted in our consciousness and we begin to develop spiritually. This seems to be what you are referring to as turning our lives around and committing to the love Jesus taught and demonstrated as a way of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I lean more towards it being a spiritual awakening from the slumber of race belief and separation from God to the reality of who we really are, that person we forgot that we are by being lulled to sleep by race belief and belief in separation from God. Jesus Christ from a young age saw and knew where he came from and by it grew in stature and wisdom.
This is an excellent way of looking at it too, pcamps. But it is a definite process ("spiritual pregnancy") with a definite end, Rebirth as Spirit upon our death.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And again he has NEVER claimed that he is the only one with spiritual maturity to discern truth.

And again, IF you believe that God IS love, anything which contradicts that is what is wrong.

Since you obviously still do not understand what Mystic is saying, I think you will do well not to assume anything about what I do and do not agree with.

The agape love is just oozing out of you.. so many bright lights of agape love on this forum, I guess that's why there's such a positive atmosphere in the threads here like I mentioned in my opening post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity