Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 02:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Okay what has been puzzling to me since I joined this forum is the immense hatred to those who keep to a literal, Biblical Christian worldview. Sometimes I seriously need to recheck if this is the "Christianity" forum. The attitudes are very hostile, and the atmosphere imo very negative in general. And ironically the people that proclaim 'agape love', (or refer to Dan & John Ford Coley songs on love), are usually the ones most hostile and impatient towards Bible believing Christians.

So why does the agape love fly out of the door all of a sudden when confronted with other views? Even if other views claim exclusivity, and you don't agree, shouldn't agape love, love them nonetheless?
Why is there a need to keep denegrating faithful Christians as "fundies", bigoted, hateful, small-minded, etc. If agape love is indeed agape (universal and unconditional), then shouldn't that include "fundies"?

Maybe I am wrong, and I am new on the forum, but do others recognise this hostile attitude?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Why is it that the fundies are quick to claim that their warnings of hellfire and damnation on all those they see as violating the standards set by God is really love because it is like warning a child about a hot stove, but when the same kind of warning about consequences of hateful attitudes and speech is applied to them, it is suddenly "hostile?"
Your answer..... if you would actually look past your prejudices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 02:19 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suspect we are simply talking past each other, rather than disagreeing, nate. There is and WILL be a birth, but it will happen upon our physical death when we are "born as Spirit." That which is born of Spirit is Spirit, not Flesh. However, what you are referring to is a Spiritual awakening (Sanctification), what I call the Conception of our Spiritual "pregnancy," as the Seed of God's love is implanted in our consciousness and we begin to develop spiritually. This seems to be what you are referring to as turning our lives around and committing to the love Jesus taught and demonstrated as a way of life.
This is an excellent way of looking at it too, pcamps. But it is a definite process ("spiritual pregnancy") with a definite end, Rebirth as Spirit upon our death.
I too believe it's a process. The evangelicals have no idea what it means, and that is why they have so many confused followers uncertain about their own salvation. Everything they teach is geared around going to heaven or escaping hell and never about experiencing the reality of who God is and who we are to him in the here and now.

Now is the day that you should be experiencing your salvation 2 Cor 6 2 and the more we experience it the more we grow in Christ.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:34 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,523 times
I think the ones talking about hellfire and damnation mostly are the non-believers, just in order to slur the 'fundies' as being hateful. But you seem to forget, this is a forum on Christianity. The word Christian means 'Little Christ', and we are supposed to be little Jesus's running around, doing what He did and what He does. And one of those things He did was, talk about hell, alot. He warned about the broad way that leads to destruction, He warned about hell where the fire is not quenched and the worm doesn't die.

Plain Biblical teaching belongs on a Christianity forum. You can disagree ofcourse, but the amount of hostility towards plain Biblical teaching doesn't belong on a Christianity forum. You can discuss it, and in a respectful way share your opinion, but none of that happens here. It's just continual hostility and anger. And just like anti-semitism doesn't belong on the Judaism forum, these anti-Christian, anti-Biblical attitudes and opinions don't belong in this forum.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
I think the ones talking about hellfire and damnation mostly are the non-believers, just in order to slur the 'fundies' as being hateful. But you seem to forget, this is a forum on Christianity. The word Christian means 'Little Christ', and we are supposed to be little Jesus's running around, doing what He did and what He does. And one of those things He did was, talk about hell, alot. He warned about the broad way that leads to destruction, He warned about hell where the fire is not quenched and the worm doesn't die.

Plain Biblical teaching belongs on a Christianity forum. You can disagree ofcourse, but the amount of hostility towards plain Biblical teaching doesn't belong on a Christianity forum. You can discuss it, and in a respectful way share your opinion, but none of that happens here. It's just continual hostility and anger. And just like anti-semitism doesn't belong on the Judaism forum, these anti-Christian, anti-Biblical attitudes and opinions don't belong in this forum.
I'll try using smaller words: This is not a Christian forum. It is a forum to talk about Christianity.

If you want your own little mutual masturbatory fundie forum, there are plenty of them out there. I've been kicked out of a couple.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'll try using smaller words: This is not a Christian forum. It is a forum to talk about Christianity.

If you want your own little mutual masturbatory fundie forum, there are plenty of them out there. I've been kicked out of a couple.
This is exactly the kind of disrespectful attitude I am talking about, you just like to intentionally provoke anger and hostility. It has nothing to do with talking about Christianity, you are not interested in Christianity one bit. You are just interested in belittling and downgrading others, being snide and sarcastic, provoking anger and making for a negative atmosphere with your disrespectful attitude and language. Good going man, hope you are proud of yourself.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
This is exactly the kind of disrespectful attitude I am talking about, you just like to intentionally provoke anger and hostility. It has nothing to do with talking about Christianity, you are not interested in Christianity one bit. You are just interested in belittling and downgrading others, being snide and sarcastic, provoking anger and making for a negative atmosphere with your disrespectful attitude and language. Good going man, hope you are proud of yourself.
My self-appointed task is to expose the rot that is at the heart of Christian fundamentalism. I point out hypocrisy, lies and bigotry. I mock the sanctimonious and I'm good at it.

That it gets your panties in a twist tells me I'm doing a good job.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:

I'm a Christian. Does this lecture apply to the fundamentalists who say I'm evil and going to hell when I post something like, "I support the LGBTQ community"? Telling someone they're evil and going to hell is, IMHO, about as hostile as it gets. How about when I get told my posts are "disgusting". Or when liberal Christians are told we are tools of Satan? Hmmmm.....Maybe I should cut and paste your post as a response to that massive display of hostility.

Doe your lecture apply to the fundamentalists who tell our Catholic and LDS brothers and sisters they are not Christians? What about when someone posts some idiotic nonsense about what Catholics and LDS believe that is totally untrue? Frankly, I'm not feeling the love in that....agape or otherwise.

p.s. If you read the sticky at the top of each of the Religion forums you will discover that all sorts of attitudes and opinions are allowed on this forum. Personally, I think that's a good thing since I'm not a fan of thought control OR censorship.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-08-2016 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 04:47 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:
The agape love is just oozing out of you.. so many bright lights of agape love on this forum, I guess that's why there's such a positive atmosphere in the threads here like I mentioned in my opening post.
Like some others, it appears that you identify so closely with your religious doctrines that you feel you are being personally attacked when anyone disagrees with those doctrines. I once held beliefs very similar to you, so I understand the psychological discomfort of having those beliefs challenged. But relax; you are not your beliefs.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:49 PM

23,238 posts, read 10,518,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I figured that one out the first week.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suspect we are simply talking past each other, rather than disagreeing, nate. There is and WILL be a birth, but it will happen upon our physical death when we are "born as Spirit." That which is born of Spirit is Spirit, not Flesh. However, what you are referring to is a Spiritual awakening (Sanctification), what I call the Conception of our Spiritual "pregnancy," as the Seed of God's love is implanted in our consciousness and we begin to develop spiritually. This seems to be what you are referring to as turning our lives around and committing to the love Jesus taught and demonstrated as a way of life.
This is an excellent way of looking at it too, pcamps. But it is a definite process ("spiritual pregnancy") with a definite end, Rebirth as Spirit upon our death.
Quote:
What you seem not to grasp is the very IDEA of an eternal Hell is a concept so abominable to a God who IS agape love that its origin in the vengeful minds of men is unmistakable. But you do NOT test the Spirit of anything you find in the Bible because of the man-made "doctrine of demons" that the Bible is 100% the word of God, which is preposterous. The contradictions, inconsistencies, and absolute corruptions of the nature of God are legion in opposition to the TRUE NATURE of God revealed unambiguously by Jesus. The Gospel of Jesus is unrecognizable in the "precepts and doctrines of men" created from that abominable "doctrine of demons." It is why the majority mainstream churches are the anti-Christ apostates we were warned about for these "latter days." The Holy Spirit of agape love (Who IS God) is missing from mainstream Christianity.
Quote:
Plain Biblical teaching belongs on a Christianity forum. You can disagree of course, but the amount of hostility towards plain Biblical teaching doesn't belong on a Christianity forum. You can discuss it, and in a respectful way share your opinion, but none of that happens here. It's just continual hostility and anger. And just like anti-semitism doesn't belong on the Judaism forum, these anti-Christian, anti-Biblical attitudes and opinions don't belong in this forum.
There is only perceived hostility because you identify so strongly with your apostate anti-Christ beliefs that you feel YOU are being attacked when they are rebuked and rebutted by the "Agape Love of Christ" that you force into second-class status in favor of your BELIEFS about God and Jesus and sin. This is quite ironic because God is not counting our sins against us, but you focus almost entirely on them. Why is that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity