Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,074,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK. Great. I disagree. I think some Christians DO walk in his steps. Some don't.

You made the statement that none of us do, so back it up. First tell me what you believe Peter was referring to. And then define what a Christian is...and how they aren't following his steps.
What were the exact steps of Jesus?...How did he lead his life?...What example did he provide showing folks what path they should walk to reach G-d?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:19 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,218,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What were the exact steps of Jesus?...How did he lead his life?...What example did he provide showing folks what path they should walk to reach G-d?...
Do you not know? You started this thread out by making the bold statement that none of us walk according to it. NOW you tell us you just don't even know what it is?

Old 06-04-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
OK?

Great verses. Still waiting for you to tell me who is a Christian and who isn't. And exactly what the above passages actually look like in real life in 2016 America.
You're just playing games, Viz...You are the one that stands up behind your lectern and preaches to your own congregation what a Christian is...Does what you preach and your behavior exemlify Jesus' own path in life or is it different, modified?...

Old 06-04-2016, 08:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Well, yes...If your tune is different than the next person, then you are dancing to your own tune...
So, following Jesus footsteps means imitating the tune of the next person?

I am afraid some further clarification is needed.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Do you not know? You started this thread out by making the bold statement that none of us walk according to it. NOW you tell us you just don't even know what it is?
I already know...I'd like to see what others think they know...

Old 06-04-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, following Jesus footsteps means imitating the tune of the next person?

I am afraid some further clarification is needed.
Following in his footsteps would mean imitating his walk and not your own...

Old 06-04-2016, 08:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,218,390 times
Quote:
I already know...I'd like to see what others think they know...
So, you want to know why Christians (whom you will not define who is and isn't) don't follow the footsteps of Jesus (and you won't define that, either).

OK. great. Gee...I can't imagine why the atheists have a hayday on this forum.

Christians are called to submit and deny ourselves -- to allow the Holy Spirit to mold us and make us more like Jesus.

Long story short? Phil 1:6 says that God began the work in us, and he will complete it. He is making us more like Jesus -- he is sanctifying us. It's an ongoing process. For some it happens pretty quick. For others, not so much. I think it's a question of maturity. Hopefully people mature as time goes on, but it's not always the case.

Of course, there is also the case that sometimes you are looking at the lives of non-Christians and assuming that they are typical Christians. And you wonder why they don't follow Jesus better.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Following in his footsteps would mean imitating his walk and not your own...
He is happy to see millions of people follow Him.

Whoever told you no one follows Him, lied to you.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:03 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,606,264 times
They did follow in His footsteps, and were murdered for their convictions
and for following Him. This is how Christianity was able to spread, despite
the blood of the martyrs who did not entice physical rebellion against the
secular powers, but a conversion of the hearts of men and women.

It is important not to read the New Testment, or any of the Holy Bible
in a verse-specific manner, as if these sentences were meant to be
stand-alone dogmas.

The Bible was not written broken down into separate verses.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:06 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
You know, Richard, if a goy went over to the Judaism forum and started asking why Jews don't follow Torah, he or she would be pelted with slap downs and reported to the mods. You are Jewish, not Christian. You said that to me recently.

Have the same respect for others' faiths that you demand for your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity