Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Fun question: was that Lewis, A Case for Christianity or Strobel, The Case for Christ?
That IS a fun question. Strobel came to my mind first, but then I read it again as the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 02:41 AM

595 posts, read 333,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Quote:
Well to what I have already said, I suppose I can add the following...

One of the things which appealed to me most were the anti-religious elements in Christianity and the Bible. I saw a frank recognition that religion can be quite harmful. Contrary to what the more ignorant redneck types portray, the people Jesus had difficulty with and animosity towards where neither the nonreligious nor the less reputable (by occupation or heretical group) but rather the most self-righteously religious. And this was true of the apostle Paul also.

One way of summing up the gospel of Jesus Christ is to say that all the religions which promise, that if you do the right things then you will be on the side of God and He will take care of you, are all a lie and a cheat. What really matters is changing who you are in your very heart and soul to embrace love and decency to your fellow human beings. And while this is generally impossible for us to do by ourselves, God can if we seek His help.
Do you not feel that others can embrace love and be decent to others with another God belief system or no belief in a God?
I am a vocal opponent of the kind of xtianity which I call Gnostic legalism -- salvation by works of the mind such as believing in a set of dogmas. That is just another set of things that religions say you have to do in order to get the prize and I see this as being just as much of a cheat and lie as any other religion doing such a thing. In other words, I don't see belief regarding objectively undecidable issues as playing such a crucial role in any of this.

You may ask who can we seek God's help if we do not believe He exists? Well "God" is just a word after all, and I don't it is so important that we use it. The truth is many atheist have told me they are fine with some God helping if such a thing does exist, but they just don't have any reason to believe it does exist. Sure they may outright reject the blatantly evil versions of God pushed some xtians, but it turns out that I reject such a demonic godfather just as much as they do.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
I am a vocal opponent of the kind of xtianity which I call Gnostic legalism -- salvation by works of the mind such as believing in a set of dogmas. That is just another set of things that religions say you have to do in order to get the prize and I see this as being just as much of a cheat and lie as any other religion doing such a thing. In other words, I don't see belief regarding objectively undecidable issues as playing such a crucial role in any of this.

You may ask who can we seek God's help if we do not believe He exists? Well "God" is just a word after all, and I don't it is so important that we use it. The truth is many atheist have told me they are fine with some God helping if such a thing does exist, but they just don't have any reason to believe it does exist. Sure they may outright reject the blatantly evil versions of God pushed some xtians, but it turns out that I reject such a demonic godfather just as much as they do.
Actually, I am asking how you came to believe in this God, whatever his/her attributes, whose help is generally required for individuals to treat others with love and decency, when others who have opposing beliefs, including atheists, treat others well daily?

Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,980,785 times
Quote:
Actually, I am asking how you came to believe in this God, whatever his/her attributes, whose help is generally required for individuals to treat others with love and decency, when others who have opposing beliefs, including atheists, treat others well daily?
So, try to understand what he has said and your questions have been answered.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Actually, I don't think so. I've tried to understand but the latest post doesn't address the issue as far as I can tell.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:40 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,451,565 times
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, I don't think so. I've tried to understand but the latest post doesn't address the issue as far as I can tell.

. I can't figure out where the disconnect is. The answer to your question IS there, and it is very apparent.

You asked: Do you not feel that others can embrace love and be decent to others with another God belief system or no belief in a God?

His answer is: Others CAN embrace love and be decent to others with another God belief system or no belief in a God.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,451,565 times
Quote:
You are conflating two issues here:

HOW (How did he come to believe in "this God" whose help is required).

WHY does he think such a belief is necessary.

He has answered the WHY: There is no why, because he does NOT believe such a belief is necessary.

So now, if you understand that straightforward answer to the WHY, you can concentrate on asking about the HOW, if you are actually interested.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Then put it together with the first post to which you didn't really pay attention.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You are conflating two issues here:

HOW (How did he come to believe in "this God" whose help is required).

WHY does he think such a belief is necessary.

He has answered the WHY: There is no why, because he does NOT believe such a belief is necessary.

So now, if you understand that straightforward answer to the WHY, you can concentrate on asking about the HOW, if you are actually interested.
That was my original question. I've never asked for the what, just the how. The insinuation was that he came to the God belief (specifically the Christian God belief) because God's help was required to be decent and loving to others. Since he and everyone else seems to believe that the God belief isn't necessary for individuals to be loving and decent, how else did he come to this God belief?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
That was my original question. I've never asked for the what, just the how. The insinuation was that he came to the God belief (specifically the Christian God belief) because God's help was required to be decent and loving to others. Since he and everyone else seems to believe that the God belief isn't necessary for individuals to be loving and decent, how else did he come to this God belief?
Bullwhoop. Please demonstrate that you read and understand his first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity