Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 AM

45,824 posts, read 27,476,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus did not die for unrepentant sin; the last state of that man is worse than the first; he's a dog returning to his vomit. Read Revelation, dogs are left outside of the gate; they're defiled. And yes, that includes backsiders who went back to their vomit of sin.
1 Peter 3:18 - For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit

1 John 2:2 - He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Romans 6:10 - For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

These are clear verses. He death covers all sin for all time. What some people miss is that His death by itself - does not lead to eternal life. His death simply clears everyone's account so that they have the free choice to have faith in Him.

When God sees our faith in Him and in the gospel, He sends believers the Holy Spirit.

John 6:63a - It is the Spirit that gives life.

Since Jesus' ascension, the Holy Spirit now indwells believers forever. I have already posted those verses.

The Holy Spirit is God's seal that we are His forever.

It is definitely not desirable to return to sin. No one is saying that's it's OK. But we are still His. We will be judged according to our works, but those who have the Holy Spirit will retain eternal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,965,801 times
You can comfort them with your theories, but they'll be waking up in hell.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 AM

23,291 posts, read 10,603,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1 Peter 3:18 - For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit

1 John 2:2 - He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Romans 6:10 - For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

These are clear verses. He death covers all sin for all time. What some people miss is that His death by itself - does not lead to eternal life. His death simply clears everyone's account so that they have the free choice to have faith in Him.

When God sees our faith in Him and in the gospel, He sends believers the Holy Spirit.

John 6:63a - It is the Spirit that gives life.

Since Jesus' ascension, the Holy Spirit now indwells believers forever. I have already posted those verses.

The Holy Spirit is God's seal that we are His forever.

It is definitely not desirable to return to sin. No one is saying that's it's OK. But we are still His. We will be judged according to our works, but those who have the Holy Spirit will retain eternal life.

Scriptures spoken to converts of Judaism, the Holy spirit is not given to people in other religions. Jesus has Passover, Unleavened bread, firstfruits, Shavuot, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Shemini Atzeret.

The spirit is promised and given to the people who convert to the religion of Jesus but that spirit of Pentecost was supposed to leave and did leave, but it did not leave anyone that it had came to, but that doesn't mean it comes to everyone who simply says,'' Jesus.''

There are literally 100's of millions of Christians, can you even name one Christian who has the Holy spirit?

No, you cannot, and you cannot because nobody has the spirit and if just one person had the spirit then we would be hearing his name every single day and tens of thousands of people would be following him everywhere he went because they would all be begging for a miracle and there is not one who can work in the power of the Holy spirit, this isn't a debate, there simply isn't anyone and if you think you know somebody who has the spirit, then please, tell me his name, tell me her name because I need a miracle, and I need the Holy spirit, so where do I go to obtain this holy spirit you are speaking of?

Who will lay hands on me and indwell me with a great spirit of God?

Anyone?

Bueller, Bueller?

No, not one.

You are discussing a religion that no longer exists, you are discussing a powerful spirit that righteous people obtained and there are none left, ya know why?

They were all killed for keeping the Pentecost, the very thing that gives the spirit.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM

33,378 posts, read 26,667,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Scriptures spoken to converts of Judaism, the Holy spirit is not given to people in other religions. Jesus has Passover, Unleavened bread, firstfruits, Shavuot, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Shemini Atzeret.

The spirit is promised and given to the people who convert to the religion of Jesus but that spirit of Pentecost was supposed to leave and did leave, but it did not leave anyone that it had came to, but that doesn't mean it comes to everyone who simply says,'' Jesus.''

There are literally 100's of millions of Christians, can you even name one Christian who has the Holy spirit?

No, you cannot, and you cannot because nobody has the spirit and if just one person had the spirit then we would be hearing his name every single day and tens of thousands of people would be following him everywhere he went because they would all be begging for a miracle and there is not one who can work in the power of the Holy spirit, this isn't a debate, there simply isn't anyone and if you think you know somebody who has the spirit, then please, tell me his name, tell me her name because I need a miracle, and I need the Holy spirit, so where do I go to obtain this holy spirit you are speaking of?

Anyone?

Bueller, Bueller?

No, not one.

You are discussing a religion that no longer exists, you are discussing a powerful spirit that righteous people obtained and there are none left, ya know why?

They were all killed for keeping the Pentecost, the very thing that gives the spirit.
Hannibal, the majority of your posts are nonsense, and this post is no exception. You don't know what you're talking about. It isn't Pentecost which gives the Holy Spirit, it is God who gives the Holy Spirit. The Church age began on the Day of Pentecost fifty days after Jesus was resurrected. And with a few exceptions at the beginning of the Church age every believer in Christ Jesus has been, and is indwelt by the Holy Spirit. One of the distinctives of the church age is the universal indwelling of the Holy Spirit among those who simply trust in Christ Jesus for eternal life.

Only in some cases was the laying on of hands involved in receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit at the beginning of the Church age. When Peter spoke to Cornelius and his household, they were all indwelt by the Holy Spirit without the laying on of hands. They simply listened to Peter's message and believed. And such is the case to this day.

You don't need a miracle. What you need is to understand that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and Himself God, came into the world and died for the sins of the world, including yours. And that by simply placing your faith in Him, you will have eternal life, and you will have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,304,409 times
Quote:

Anyone?

Bueller, Bueller?

No, not one.

This is something Rbbi, who has applauded your beliefs in numerous posts, might be able to help you with. I have no idea if he believes in the laying on of hand to receive the Holy Spirit, but he's made a number of posts about having "His Spirit". And he rebukes the posters who, in his opinion, don't.

Though it is unclear if "His Spirit" and the Holy Spirit are the same....but you could ask.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hannibal, the majority of your posts are nonsense, and this post is no exception. You don't know what you're talking about. It isn't Pentecost which gives the Holy Spirit, it is God who gives the Holy Spirit. The Church age began on the Day of Pentecost fifty days after Jesus was resurrected. And with a few exceptions at the beginning of the Church age every believer in Christ Jesus has been, and is indwelt by the Holy Spirit. One of the distinctives of the church age is the universal indwelling of the Holy Spirit among those who simply trust in Christ Jesus for eternal life.

Only in some cases was the laying on of hands involved in receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit at the beginning of the Church age. When Peter spoke to Cornelius and his household, they were all indwelt by the Holy Spirit without the laying on of hands. They simply listened to Peter's message and believed. And such is the case to this day.

You don't need a miracle. What you need is to understand that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and Himself God, came into the world and died for the sins of the world, including yours. And that by simply placing your faith in Him, you will have eternal life, and you will have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I think I do know what I am talking about, and like I say, this isn't a debate. You don't know anyone who can do what those first disciples did.

Do you?

I am just honest with myself about the promises Jesus made, and there isn't anyone who can work in any of the gifts of the spirit of Pentecost.

People had the spirit of God before Pentecost, but when Pentecost came, they started working in the gifts of that spirit and nobody on Earth can do any of those things today.

AGAIN, if you know somebody, please tell me his name.

But why would God give somebody the spirit of Pentecost when that person rejects the very idea of keeping the Pentecost?

The spirit of Pentecost went away because the people rejected the Pentecost and yet still claim to have the spirit although not a single person can work in any of it's gifts and this is no great wonder after Jerusalem was rejected, after all the feast days and Sabbaths of Jesus were rejected.

Do you keep the 7 feasts of Christ?

Do you know what is done and said, what the priests are doing and do you know what the exact promises of these feasts are?

Have you ever looked into them to have an opinion?

Do you know of the coming promise of Shemini Atzeret, or do you just know feasts of other gods?

Do you keep the worship system of Jesus is in Passover, his unleavened bread, his firstfruit, his Shavuot, his Rosh Hashanah, his Yom Kippur, his Sukkot, his Shemini Atzeret so that you can even have an opinion of what is promised on what days?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This is something Rbbi, who has applauded your beliefs in numerous posts, might be able to help you with. I have no idea if he believes in the laying on of hand to receive the Holy Spirit, but he's made a number of posts about having "His Spirit". And he rebukes the posters who, in his opinion, don't.

Though it is unclear if "His Spirit" and the Holy Spirit are the same....but you could ask.

Again, nobody has the spirit of Pentecost, nobody has the helper, nobody can do any of the works and gifts of the Holy spirit, so why pretend anything else?

If just one person in here had the Holy spirit then there wouldn't be all these Atheists in here laughing at Christians because it would be evident if somebody had the spirit.

But we are promised much greater things than the spirit of Shavuot and nobody wants it.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 07-07-2016 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I think I do know what I am talking about, and like I say, this isn't a debate. You don't know anyone who can do what those first disciples did.

Do you?

I am just honest with myself about the promises Jesus made, and there isn't anyone who can work in any of the gifts of the spirit of Pentecost.

People had the spirit of God before Pentecost, but when Pentecost came, they started working in the gifts of that spirit and nobody on Earth can do any of those things today.

AGAIN, if you know somebody, please tell me his name.

But why would God give somebody the spirit of Pentecost when that person rejects the very idea of keeping the Pentecost?

The spirit of Pentecost went away because the people rejected the Pentecost and yet still claim to have the spirit although not a single person can work in any of it's gifts and this is no great wonder after Jerusalem was rejected, after all the feast days and Sabbaths of Jesus were rejected.

Do you keep the 7 feasts of Christ?

Do you know what is done and said, what the priests are doing and do you know what the exact promises of these feasts are?

Have you ever looked into them to have an opinion?

Do you know of the coming promise of Shemini Atzeret, or do you just know feasts of other gods?

Do you keep the worship system of Jesus is in Passover, his unleavened bread, his firstfruit, his Shavuot, his Rosh Hashanah, his Yom Kippur, his Sukkot, his Shemini Atzeret so that you can even have an opinion of what is promised on what days?
No, you don't know what you are talking about. The miracles and healings that the apostles did were designed to attract attention to them so that their message would be heard. While the miracle and healing gifts were confined to the beginning of the Church age, there are other spiritual gifts which are permanent and requires the Holy Spirit to function.

Some people had the enduement of the Spirit before the Church age began for the purpose of being empowered for certain tasks. This enduement was could be removed when the task was completed, or as a result of sin. But in the Church age, every believer has the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The keeping of special days was a part of Judaism. It was for Israel. Church age believers are not required to keep the Jewish special days. While many of the early Christians did observe them, they were not required to. Paul made this clear when he not only stated that no one is to judge another regarding whether they keep the Jewish days, but rebuked the Galatians for keeping them and being enslaved to the weak and worthless things.
Col. 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day

Gal. 4:9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? 10] You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11] I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain.
The Galatians, under the influence of the Judaizers were beginning to observe the Mosaic calendar and keep the weekly Sabbaths and festivals such as Pentecost thinking they would gain favor with God for doing so. The Judaizers were also claiming that in order to be saved one had to be circumcised according to the custom of Moses (Acts 15:1). A Christian keeping the special days and festivals of Judaism, thinking that it is a requirement to do so, is returning to slavery. The Church is free from all of that.

Any Church age believer who thinks that he is required to keep the Jewish special days and festivals, and does so, is simply enslaving himself to, as Paul put it, ''the weak and worthless elemental things'' from which he has been freed.

For you to tell Christians that they've got it wrong, and that they don't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is ignorant.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-07-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No, you don't know what you are talking about. The miracles and healings that the apostles did were designed to attract attention to them so that their message would be heard. While the miracle and healing gifts were confined to the beginning of the Church age, there are other spiritual gifts which are permanent and requires the Holy Spirit to function.

Some people had the enduement of the Spirit before the Church age began for the purpose of being empowered for certain tasks. This enduement was could be removed when the task was completed, or as a result of sin. But in the Church age, every believer has the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The keeping of special days was a part of Judaism. It was for Israel. Church age believers are not required to keep the Jewish special days. While many of the early Christians did observe them, they were not required to. Paul made this clear when he not only stated that no one is to judge another regarding whether they keep the Jewish days, but rebuked the Galatians for keeping them and being enslaved to the weak and worthless things.
Col. 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day

Gal. 4:9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? 10] You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11] I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain.
The Galatians, under the influence of the Judaizers were beginning to observe the Mosaic calendar and keep the weekly Sabbaths and festivals such as Pentecost thinking they would gain favor with God for doing so. The Judaizers were also claiming that in order to be saved one had to be circumcised according to the custom of Moses (Acts 15:1). Keeping the special days and festivals of Judaism is a return to slavery. The Church is free from all of that.

Any Church age believer who thinks that he is required to keep the Jewish special days and festivals, and does so, is simply enslaving himself to, as Paul put it, the weak and worthless things from which he has been freed.

For you to tell Christians that they've got it wrong, and that they don't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is ignorant.

You wouldn't find me telling anyone that they have to go up to Jerusalem each year to keep the 3 main feats or even that they do anything accept to keep all of them in truth and in spirit as Paul said,'' Let us keep the feast in truth and spirit.''

But then to reject the feasts of God separates us from the Jews we were to become one with and while you will make a case here against keeping the feasts of God, what is your case in involving yourself in the worship of other god's?

Is that how it is?

You can joyfully keep any feast you want can't you, I mean as long is it isn't god's feasts.

The feast days are things to come, not things done away with but why doesn't Christianity keep the feasts of Christ? It was out of hate and to pretend anything else is crazy. The Jews were hated so much that the gentiles had to separate from them. Do you suppose Jesus came teaching his followers to keep the Saturnalia?

Keeping the feasts of Christ in truth and in spirit is to live a lifestyle of Passover, to live a lifestyle of Pentecost, to live a lifestyle of Sukkot, and here you are speaking against the feasts while pretending to have the Holy spirit from the very feasts you speak against, isn't that Ironic?

God has always had a covenant with Gentiles according to his feasts and whatever feasts you keep, they mark you. You keep Easter and Christmas, you are marked by Babylonian holy days just as God promises all people who keep his feasts, they will receive a seal of protection between their eyes against Yom Kippur.

You have no such mark, although you have a mark, it is not of Jerusalem, and just because you don't have to keep the feasts of Christ, there aint no accepting the feasts of other Messiahs either.

Did Jesus really and truly come teaching people to keep Babylonian feasts? Did Jesus really come teaching people not to keep the commandments of his father? If so, he deserved to die.

Isaiah 56
1Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed
2Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.

4For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.6Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

7Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.
8The Lord GOD which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him

Wonder if God's promise is true?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't find me telling anyone that they have to go up to Jerusalem each year to keep the 3 main feats or even that they do anything accept to keep all of them in truth and in spirit as Paul said,'' Let us keep the feast in truth and spirit.''

But then to reject the feasts of God separates us from the Jews we were to become one with and while you will make a case here against keeping the feasts of God, what is your case in involving yourself in the worship of other god's?

Is that how it is?

You can joyfully keep any feast you want can't you, I mean as long is it isn't god's feasts.

The feast days are things to come, not things done away with but why doesn't Christianity keep the feasts of Christ? It was out of hate and to pretend anything else is crazy. The Jews were hated so much that the gentiles had to separate from them. Do you suppose Jesus came teaching his followers to keep the Saturnalia?

Keeping the feasts of Christ in truth and in spirit is to live a lifestyle of Passover, to live a lifestyle of Pentecost, to live a lifestyle of Sukkot, and here you are speaking against the feasts while pretending to have the Holy spirit from the very feasts you speak against, isn't that Ironic?

God has always had a covenant with Gentiles according to his feasts and whatever feasts you keep, they mark you. You keep Easter and Christmas, you are marked by Babylonian holy days just as God promises all people who keep his feasts, they will receive a seal of protection between their eyes against Yom Kippur.

You have no such mark, although you have a mark, it is not of Jerusalem, and just because you don't have to keep the feasts of Christ, there aint no accepting the feasts of other Messiahs either.

Did Jesus really and truly come teaching people to keep Babylonian feasts? Did Jesus really come teaching people not to keep the commandments of his father? If so, he deserved to die.

Isaiah 56
1Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed
2Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
3Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.

4For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.6Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

7Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.
8The Lord GOD which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him

Wonder if God's promise is true?

Jews and Gentiles are both one in the body of Christ. The Church is an organism, a new creation in which there is no distinction between Jews and Gentiles.

Now, Merry Christmas and happy Easter to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity