Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 02:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,713,948 times

Advertisements

How sin separates us from God

And I do believe it does in the following way: it is not that God is hiding himself from man, rather it is man who hides himself from God. Even many Christians do this, often unknowingly because they refuse to believe the LOVE of the truth. Many imagine themselves SAFE and in no danger of judgement while condemning others simply because they prayed the sinner's prayer, go to church, give tithes, etc... yet they do not come naked before God and admit to him the darkness that is in their minds and hearts and ask him to purify them. This is all a private matter - it's nothing to do with public statements of faith or works that can be seen by men. Some are caught up in despising their brothers via politics and listening to the politicians or spokespersons blaming all the troubles of the world on one side or the other. And this causes a root of bitterness to spring up.

Another group who separate themselves from God: Atheists, particularly those ones who are really angry about others believing in God. It takes a lot of pride and arrogance to not only proclaim there is no god, but to then put yourself as judge of those who believe otherwise.

So I know it's not often that you hear non-ET believers saying that SIN separates us from God, but I do believe it does in very many ways, or rather there are many things in our lives, minds, and hearts that cause us to avoid the LIGHT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 02:44 PM

15,895 posts, read 6,358,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post

And I do believe it does in the following way: it is not that God is hiding himself from man, rather it is man who hides himself from God. Even many Christians do this, often unknowingly because they refuse to believe the LOVE of the truth. Many imagine themselves SAFE and in no danger of judgement while condemning others simply because they prayed the sinner's prayer, go to church, give tithes, etc... yet they do not come naked before God and admit to him the darkness that is in their minds and hearts and ask him to purify them. This is all a private matter - it's nothing to do with public statements of faith or works that can be seen by men. Some are caught up in despising their brothers via politics and listening to the politicians or spokespersons blaming all the troubles of the world on one side or the other. And this causes a root of bitterness to spring up.

Another group who separate themselves from God: Atheists, particularly those ones who are really angry about others believing in God. It takes a lot of pride and arrogance to not only proclaim there is no god, but to then put yourself as judge of those who believe otherwise.

So I know it's not often that you hear non-ET believers saying that SIN separates us from God, but I do believe it does in very many ways, or rather there are many things in our lives, minds, and hearts that cause us to avoid the LIGHT.
Not necessarily. I consider myself an atheist and whatever "it" is I am a part of. It doesn't take pride or arrogance, it takes love and courage. Enough courage to stand up to God and say "that's not love!" Then whatever it is answers back "your're right...it's not...you are now free".

Old 07-02-2016, 02:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,219,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Not necessarily. I consider myself an atheist and whatever "it" is I am a part of. It doesn't take pride or arrogance, it takes love and courage. Enough courage to stand up to God and say "that's not love!" Then whatever it is answers back "your're right...it's not...you are now free".
I find that ironic, considering your username. You seem to take pride in the fact that you're an apostate. And you consider yourself "Great"....err...."Gr8"

Old 07-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I find that ironic, considering your username. You seem to take pride in the fact that you're an apostate. And you consider yourself "Great"....err...."Gr8"
I do take pride in the fact I was able to deprogram myself from a cult that I was raised in. I'm not late either. I just wanted 3 8's in my username so I could be crazy 8's. You're reading too much into it. I didn't plan on being here past a few posts.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:32 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post

Great witness, Rain. The hardcore atheists I tend to think of as "dead again" atheists.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I agree, there are a lot of really extremely arrogant atheists these days. They are not happy to just supposedly not believe in God. They must assert God;s supposed inexistence to the world. They seem to think about God more than some religious zealots. There is a reason for that. A person who feels compelled to publicize any extreme view and seeks approval likely does so because he/she is really uncertain. Of course uncertainty is the normal state of our existence in a mortal body - that is why we must have faith. No one would need faith if we had absolute "proof" of anything.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Great witness, Rain. The hardcore atheists I tend to think of as "dead again" atheists.
I know some like that, Mystic. And I know some who really do just desire to keep to themselves and not harass believers. I really like the COEXIST bumper sticker (wish I had one) because there are some atheists in the world who are not unreasonable and angry. Every group has its polar extremes.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Getting back to how sin separates us from God. It seems that in our journey, we are given spiritual light in increments. And if we are given light and do not walk in the light we have been given, then clearly we are not progressing toward the light. I find it astonishing, but I understand why Jesus said "Woe if the light that is in you is darkness". I think there are very many professing Christians who think the darkness in their hearts is light. And plenty of other types of cultists too - for instance, Scientologists (just for an example) is such a strange cult - yet people get drawn into it and many other cults and you know that to be drawn into any cult you have to be deceived into believing something that is not true.

Edit: I need to look the scripture up. But I think I got it wrong in my post above. I think he said: "If the light that is in you is darkness, how great that darkness.". I will check the verse and make an adjustment if I am wrong. I read the scriptures so much over many years, but I never was good at memorizing chapter and verse numbers (or even book).

Last edited by RainMusic; 07-02-2016 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 06:52 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I didn't plan on being here past a few posts.

I'm glad you decided to stay. You add a lot.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm glad you decided to stay. You add a lot.
Thanks It weirded me out when I saw people who claimed to be Christian talking about a God that didn't intend on destroying anyone. I had to see what that was all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity