Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 10:50 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,642,513 times

Advertisements

ah, my bad. yes, that. Hopefully he will explain his pov further there, as i'm sure he must have been aware of gluttony as sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,060,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
lol, ya you are surely right about me, that was horrible. So, we are in agreement that mirroring of this nature is unproductive, right?

So here is your verse then

Ezekiel 16:49
Sodom's sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door.

and i apologize for the characterization, but really, look into that personal teardown thing, ok? Perhaps humility is a virtue we can learn together

Interesting thing about G-d's idea of being humble. It's not what most men think it is, no, it means to empty out of everything YOU think, to take on HIS thoughts.

Because the carnal mind is His enemy which is why it is not subject to the law nor indeed can be, because it's an adversary and therefore naturally contrary to it. So any thought you have about G-d that didn't come from Him, came from an adversary. Accepting that, and seeking to quiet that dissenting voice and replace it with His, is the beginning of true humility. Peace

Old 10-05-2016, 11:03 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,642,513 times
nice

Old 10-05-2016, 11:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You wouldn't know about Jesus without the Bible.
been there discussed that..I did and I do know more without the book of myths..

Actually, you would KNOW so much more if you just developed that shallow superficial relationship you have via the bible and embraced the entire person of Christ--and not just a few words written in red...

Old 10-05-2016, 11:20 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
been there discussed that..I did and I do know more without the book of myths..

Actually, you would KNOW so much more if you just developed that shallow superficial relationship you have via the bible and embraced the entire person of Christ--and not just a few words written in red...
Tell me one thing you know about Jesus not included in Scripture.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Tell me one thing you know about Jesus not included in Scripture.
He had sex with Mary Magdalene.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You probably ARE as educated as me, but if you believe in inerrancy you are a modernist and biblically uneducated. Besides, you spend the rest of your post denigrating biblical education. That's a bit hypocritical to claim you have it while downplaying those who are far more educated in it than you are.
Absolutely the lying scribes said it. It was scribes who added verses 9-20 to Mark 16, and scribes who added verses 1-11 to John 8. Neither of those sections are in the newest versions of the NT. Whether or not they were liars is subject to debate, but it also means that your view of inerrancy---as in the "originals" that no one has, and which your group claims is the only "true" version, must be modified now to take OUT those added verses.
The Septuagint was not inspired by God? Okay!!! Why are most of the OT verses quoted by NT authors derived from the uninspired Septuagint?
Septuagint (bolding miine)
I didn't say any of the added NT verses were a contradiction, I said they are a SCRIBAL ADDITION. As such they cannot be said to exist in the original canon. Inerrancy has always held to the ORIGINALS as being perfect. If only the originals are perfect, added verses are not.

By the way, do you believe Christians should pick up and handle poisonous snakes? Many of the Kentucky churches practice it and someone dies about every other year from the continued practice. Does that not make those added verses seem a bit dangerous?

With regard to Jeremiah, now that we have a much earlier version than any previous copy of Jeremiah, isn't it closer to the original? Besides, God Himself wasn't much concerned with His own "perfect" writings as Jeremiah (of our Bible) reveals the first copy was burned by a pagan king, then God told Jeremiah to rewrite it adding more, and finally He told Jeremiah to throw the "rewritten" book into the sea. So what we have in the Qumran Jeremiah must be from a third scroll which no one can be sure God authorized (since He specifically authorized the first two) and the one we are using now is from at least a FOURTH scroll, one highly redacted from the Qumran version discovered in 1947.[/quote]

It was a Southern Baptist college, now university, in Kentucky. I graduated in the early seventies. Please

let me know if you find a "liberal" one in that state.

Oh, I get it now. You just want to make your English Bible your "original." Thank you for undermining the entire argument for inerrancy in one fell swoop. If something older and more original arises that differs from what you now read, it wasn't inspired at all.

Proverbs 4:7 is proof that one must HAVE wisdom in order to read Scripture. No wisdom can be derived from Scripture without bringing wisdom TO Scripture. The way to get wisdom is by education, unless you are going to claim education is without value and then I would ask why you pursued it.
Ecclesiastes verse specifically states getting wisdom results in increasing pain. And that is so very true. A biblical education is extremely painful particularly if one, like me, was saved into that false inerrancy culture. Guys like Ehrman couldn't handle it. But those, like myself, who had a deep and immovable experience with Jesus, have altered our views to fit what God spoke to us in--- a very flawed Bible, with a mixture of contradictions and failed/altered prophecies. Because men are flawed, God spoke in the same flawed manner to meet us where we are, not where we could be before we partook of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil
I read both liberal and conservative views. My conservative readings are usually from Dr. Daniel Wallace of Dallas Theological Seminary who has had at least one spirited debate with Bart Ehrman. You can listen to one here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVlapUsHxhg

A spiritual life is not dependent on liberal or conservative views, it is dependent on walking in the footsteps of Jesus, Who, despite His words to the contrary, did a pretty good job of "revising" the OT in His teaching. By the way, do you see Exodus 3:6 as a verse that supports the resurrection of people into an afterlife? Jesus did, and shocked the Saduccees, who did not disagree with Him or tell Him He had misinterpreted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalism (all emphasis mine)

I accept the Bible as I accept Jesus Christ--a mixture of the divine and human. Except the only human that was perfect is Jesus. The men who wrote Scripture were not. And God speaks anew to each generation. That's why slavery was not condemned in the NT (men were not culturally capable of handling that until centuries later when the Bible that was used to enforce slavery [my own grandfather was one and his grandfather owned 17 slaves in Louisiana]). Each generation is required to reinterpret Scripture--as Jesus did with Exodus 3:6 for its own time. Many will move to the new interpretation while legalists, like the Pharisees will cling to past interpretations.
I was not "brought up" in a church family. All of us were converted over a year at around the time I was sixteen, and it was in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist church. My salvation came under the preaching of a cowboy Texan minister who had come to Biloxi, MS to hold a revival at our church. He lost a lot of attendance after the first night when he asked why there were no "colored" people in our church. "Usually," he said, "I find at least a few in the balcony." That's the background of fundamentalism--it clung, and perhaps some still do, to the racist interpretations of the past.
Liberal Christians tend to be Jesus followers not biblical idolators. Fundamentalism claims that the Bible is literal and does what you do--pick and choose among OT Scriptures (it's okay to eat shrimp, but homosexuals are an "abomination") while claiming liberals are doing what you are engaged in--another form of hypocrisy. That literalism was foretold by one of the theologians fundamentalists like to follow with regard to just about every kind of sex as sin but who they ignore when it comes to creationism:
Augustine from his work De Genisi ad litteram (The Literal Meaning of Genesis)--all emphasis mine
And was Augustine right about literalists?:
Why some Americans left religion behind | Pew Research Center
Your beliefs are part of the problem, and not contributing to any solution.

We are not smarter. We are better biblically educated. The point is, you do not have to remain in that uneducated mudhole. God, in these latter days, is revealing Scripture in ways it has not been known for centuries. The Qumran discoveries are proof that God is ready for a further revision in our thinking.
Arrogance is holding hard and fast to a position that has been shown to be untenable--which inerrancy and literalism are. And you state you hold those. My position is that God is a God of situational ethics because that is how people respond. So He speaks to us in our situation--and the situation now is not the same as the situation in times past, not even those biblical times, hence resulting in many changes in Scripture such as those between Proverbs 4:7 and Ecclesiastes 1:18. Or the failed Tyre prophecy (Ezekiel) which was revised to mean not something that happened because of Babylon but because of Egypt.

You have before you a massive amount of material to study and learn from. Instead you have refused to learn for yourself and depended on the word of denominational religion whose goal is always to preserve itself as the purveyor of truth. I no longer belong to any denomination, but I'm married to the daughter of a Southern Baptist minister (long ago retired), have preached in at least three or four score of churches, and have always challenged listeners to THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

Try it. It may be a bigger blessing than you ever imagined. One thing is for sure. Once you begin scholastic study of the Bible all your beliefs will come under fire. Only those with the deepest faith can survive. That's what being buried in the good soil truly means. And what becomes the primary Word of God is JESUS, as the NT writer of John attested to.[/quote]

If this is not ripping someone a new ass, i don't know what is.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:20 PM

Hi Warden, ignore everything i quoted on that post, i don't know how it turned into me quoting someone else's post. All i wanted to say is

If this is not ripping someone a new ass the way you have dealt with your excellent responses to Omega, who can do nothing but quote bible verses(whoopy doo) i don't know what is.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:45 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,060,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hi Warden, ignore everything i quoted on that post, i don't know how it turned into me quoting someone else's post. All i wanted to say is

If this is not ripping someone a new ass the way you have dealt with your excellent responses to Omega, who can do nothing but quote bible verses(whoopy doo) i don't know what is.

And you, being an expert on asses and agape love, would know. Peace

Old 10-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
And you, being an expert on asses and agape love, would know. Peace
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity