Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

We are getting towards the xmas festivities and I thought that I would put the story straight about the Nativity Scene, because I know that all the Christians here are seeking the truth.

1. The is no number mentioned for the Magi or wise men as they are called.

2. The magi did not get to see Jesus in the stable. The star led them to Herod. Herod told the magi or astrologers, that they must report back to him on where the Child Jesus is, and by the time they found Jesus he was in the house, and 2 years of age.

3 The astrologers were commanded to go back to Herod and tell him where Jesus was, but they were frightened off and did not go. Herod became angry and issued the decree to kill all male babies 2 years old.

4. Herod got his locality information by using the priests and the prophesies of the Hebrew Scripture, regarding Jesus, to find the location.

5. The star (Of Bethlehem) so cutely named, was not from God, it was purely from Satan who wanted Jesus dead as soon as possible.

Ah! Well, what does it matter, Christendom often fails to let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 02:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,498 times
Marakorpa2 is the same bloke, I just had to re-register as I had got rid of all my cookies.

I know it is off topic, but I really think I will be forgiven on this occasion. Please!!!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:54 AM

9,705 posts, read 10,081,513 times
There was three wise men because there was three gift , as there were wise because they did bring gifts to the Saviour ......the wise men which were not astrologers , as the astrology is under the curse , they did see the babe Jesus and gave the gifts and took off the back way on their way out of town and were gone........ The star of Bethlehem was God anointing leading them and not some astrology of planets like the liberal unbelievers may think ......... The murder of babies sounds like the deliverer Moses story , and might be under question

Old 09-29-2016, 06:48 AM

689 posts, read 552,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa2 View Post
We are getting towards the xmas festivities and I thought that I would put the story straight about the Nativity Scene, because I know that all the Christians here are seeking the truth.

2. The magi did not get to see Jesus in the stable. The star led them to Herod. Herod told the magi or astrologers, that they must report back to him on where the Child Jesus is, and by the time they found Jesus he was in the house, and 2 years of age.

3 The astrologers were commanded to go back to Herod and tell him where Jesus was, but they were frightened off and did not go. Herod became angry and issued the decree to kill all male babies 2 years old.

4. Herod got his locality information by using the priests and the prophesies of the Hebrew Scripture, regarding Jesus, to find the location.

5. The star (Of Bethlehem) so cutely named, was not from God, it was purely from Satan who wanted Jesus dead as soon as possible.

Ah! Well, what does it matter, Christendom often fails to let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

As long as you can't go back to history to confirm with your science, you can't rule out any possibility. A truth of history as most history is, can only be conveyed by human witnessing. History is for you to believe with faith in a human account of testimony. That's the nature of history.

Your problem on the other hand is, you assume that nothing can exist outside of your known knowledge. However as a matter of fact, at any point of the timeline axis, there are always things kept unknown to humans. Humans are not omnipotent as you implicitly suggest here. So can't even legitimately assume that the story is not truth, as it can be true but outside of your knowledge to reach.

Your another problem is that you think that you are logical while you are actually incapable of logical thinking. The good of religious people is that they don't usually assume that they are intelligent, unlike the atheists like you. While I speculate that one of the main reasons for us to have found God is that we are willing to humble ourselves down.

Last edited by Hawkins; 09-29-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,310,635 times
Quote:

You forgot the parts about the tree and decorations and gifts and carols and turkey and pudding and families and laughter.

Glad I could help.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:15 AM

16,071 posts, read 6,429,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
As long as you can't go back to history to confirm with your science, you can't rule out any possibility. A truth of history as most history is, can only be conveyed by human witnessing. History is for you to believe with faith in a human account of testimony. That's the nature of history.

Your problem on the other hand is, you assume that nothing can exist outside of your known knowledge. However as a matter of fact, at any point of the timeline axis, there are always things kept unknown to humans. Humans are not omnipotent as you implicitly suggest here. So can't even legitimately assume that the story is not truth, as it can be true but outside of your knowledge to reach.

Your another problem is that you think that you are logical while you are actually incapable of logical thinking. The good of religious people is that they don't usually assume that they are intelligent, unlike the atheists like you. While I speculate that one of the main reasons for us to have found God is that we are willing to humble ourselves down.
Are you 100% sure of that? He is your twin not mine. M is Christian, a true Christian if you ask him just as I am sure you will state. I do have to agree with you on the thinking logically part though. I am an Atheist, which means I don't think we know enough to call this yet so I will wait to reserve judgement. I know that things exist outside my awareness.

Now, it's time for me to toss my cookies.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,502,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There was three wise men because there was three gift ,
Unfortunately that is supposition. On the other hand the actual number could be 3 but it is not given, so it was not important.

Quote:
as there were wise because they did bring gifts to the Saviour ......the wise men which were not astrologers , as the astrology is under the curse ,
They were astrologers and condemned by God, like it or not, as that is what the Greek word means and pagans on top of that, not believers. They also came to see a ... King. These men were considered "wise" but the basis for that is they were astrologers, sorcerers, magicians and priests of a false religion. The star led them to Herod and only after Herod knew of the birth, so he could have Jesus killed, did it then lead them to the child Jesus in a house long after his birth. They were not present at his borth and gave no "Birthday" gifts.

Thayer Greek Lexicon: 1. to the oriental wise men (astrologers) who, having discovered by the rising of a remarkable star (see avsth,r, and cf. Edersheim, Jesus the Messiah, i. 209ff)

Frberg Greek Lexicon:
3832 ma,goj , ou m wise man (of one trained in astrology and dream interpretation); magician, sorcerer

United Bible Society Greek Lexicon: 17609 ma,goj, ou, o` from Persian magus (great); (1) magus, plural magi, the high priestly caste of Persia; wise man of the Magian religion (MT 2.1); (2) magician, sorcerer, one using witchcraft or magic arts (AC 13.6)

Louw-Nida GReek Lexicon:
32.40 ma,goj, ou m: aperson noted for unusual capacity of understanding based upon astrology (such persons were regarded as combining both secular and religious aspects of knowledge and understanding) - 'a wise man and priest, a magus.'
LIdel and SCott Greek Lexicon: 25287 Ma,goj( ma,goj Ma,goj Îa±Ð( ou( o`, a Magus, Magian, one of a Median tribe, Hdt.2. one of the wise men in Persia who interpreted dreams, Id. 3. any enchanter or wizard, and in bad sense, a juggler, impostor, Soph., Eur., etc.;-fem., Anth. (A Persian word.)

Last edited by expatCA; 09-29-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,451,565 times
Quote:

Study people. There WILL be a test when you die.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,647,347 times
i disagree, wadr. your heart will attest for you imo. The test is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There was three wise men because there was three gift , as there were wise because they did bring gifts to the Saviour ......the wise men which were not astrologers , as the astrology is under the curse , they did see the babe Jesus and gave the gifts and took off the back way on their way out of town and were gone........ The star of Bethlehem was God anointing leading them and not some astrology of planets like the liberal unbelievers may think
you might explore your premises here, and find that it is divination that is under a curse, and not astrology per se. There is such a thing as Biblical Astrology, which does not predict but merely informs. The Magi were master astrologists, and you are perhaps denying yourself of a Scriptural pov, which tells us directly that they found Christ by astrology. Of course the Star of Bethlehem was a miraculous star that magically moved around, leading all and sundry who looked at it--to us--yet we have no other record of people being led to the infant Christ by it. There is no verse, "many found the manger by following the star" iow.

Last edited by bbyrd009; 09-29-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Study people. There WILL be a test when you die.
Will I get extra credit if I write an essay about Santa and getting presents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity