Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 01:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,874,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Nothing I've said has been debunked, ....
Your videos have been debunked over and over. Every time you drag them out we point out to you that making the claim that the resurrection is true based on the claim that the gospels are true is just circular reasoning.

Quote:
Quoting you.
''I don't really think there was a historical Jesus and frankly, I don't particularly care short of enjoying a good discussion about it but if there was then I'm with you...he was no gospel Jesus.''

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...cal-jesus.html Post# 200
...and your point is?

Quote:
I'll not waste my time going over this with you again. What you reject as evidence has been accepted as evidence by others.
Yes. Believers.

Quote:
I posted the videos for whoever is willing to take the time and make the effort to objectively listen to and examine the evidence. That's not you. Suit yourself then.
I've watched them. Actually I have watched them three times now and the claims they make haven't changed at all mate. The 'evidence' they present relies on....

1. We have given evidence for a theistic word view. No you haven't.
2. We have shown that the NT is reliable. No you haven't.
3. We have established that miracles are logically possible. No you haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
Here I have discovered that the book of Acts 2 happened in My Life as Jesus Holy Spirit come on me like flaming tongues , and one landed on my belly and abides on my life and this baptism of Holy Spirit is real ...... Now almost twenty years later Jesus Holy Spirit has never left my side and still with faith take care of my life and leads me into all righteousness , and still delivers my from the spirit of this world who has limited dominion in the world ...............As this proof of Acts 2, I could say that the cross of Jesus Christ did indeed happen , and that many Christians follow this same road into eternal life with the living God ............See it is evidence to here and many Christians , and you only need the witness of two or three to believe in honor that this be true

Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,998,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Christians:

What evidence was the prime factor in convincing you to believe in the existence of the christian god? I figured that sharing this information would be very helpful to atheists to help us identify the most convincing evidence so that we can look into it further.
What makes me believe in God will not help the atheist at all.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:12 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,998,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I'm wondering what you're thinking. Are you really expecting to hear anything you haven't heard before?
Exactly and that ends my continuing with this discussion.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:13 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Just because I never saw Abraham Lincoln doesn't mean he never existed. The Holy Bible is one of the most historically well referenced documents on the planet. To hear the word and to deny it's truth is somewhat foolish. One puts one self in a pretty sad club when they don't or won't believe.
If the evidence for Abraham Lincoln was as dubious as the evidence for Gospel -Jesus, I would be doubtful about him, too (1).
To accept ONE claim out of a myriad of similar claims (never mind dismissing better ones that are better supported) without valid evidence on Faith is utterly foolish, and the tiny possibility that one is missing out by not believing is really not worth bothering about.
The well - poisoning and mean -spirited deprecation of unbelievers in "a pretty sad club when they don't or won't believe " is self - explanatory and (being based on a prejudiced view of what atheist lives are like, but used as a hostile polemic) is par for the course, of course.

(1) I thought this was a variant of the 'Wright brothers' (2) fallacy but when I unpack it it, it is actually A "Were you there?" argument. Neither of us were there. We can only go on the evidence. The fallacy is of course ignoring the reliability of the evidence, plus a false assertion that we believe a book totally (3) when we actually apply the same criticism as we do to the Bible, and add in ignoring the sliding scale of credibility in favour of a false 'believe or not' view. In fact the wrongheaded theist arguments pile up one after the other.

(2) .. it would be if it was "if you are not convinced by the evidence for Jesus you should deny the evidence for Lincoln or Washington", to which 'If you don't believe the Bible, you should not believe any other book..." fallacy is added. The reversal of burden of proof and the flipside 'Evidence of absence is not absence of evidence' (which can be true or not, depending on the circumstances) are also hovering offstage.

(3) Jeziz, another fallacy..."You apply faith as much as we do". Let's face it - faith -based thinking screws up the best minds totally from cover to cover. And that is the Law and all the rest is commentary.

(3 and a bit) And I overlooked ANOTHER couple of fallacies:
"The Holy Bible is one of the most historically well referenced (4) documents on the planet."
Argument from overpublication, a term I just coined which is merely the fallacy of numbers repackaged. The truth of a claim is not proven by printing millions of copies of it or translating it into more languages than you can shake a stick at, nor by how much argument there has been about it (indeed the sheer amount of argument should show how dubious it is) and of course fallacy from antiquity. The false claim about extra - Biblical historical support is in there, too.

(4) historically well referenced document..Not a fallacy but a really crafty combining of 'historically'(very ancient) and 'well -referenced' (talked -and argued, as I said - about a lot) to make it look like it has a venerable and unquestionable evidential support, when it has squat, really. Who's your daddy Hobo? William Lane - Craig?

It's remarkable how many false and illogical arguments are packed into just one post. In fact I think this may be one of the top scorers for number of fallacies in one para. Nice going, Hobo. Thanks for being such a good Bad Example.

P.p.s and I had better anticipate another well - poisoner in response:

"Boy, it sure took you a whole heaping handful of words to argue against what I posted." (it is the reverse side of the: "Boy I sure rattled your bars..." ploy). The response is:

"It takes far less words to say "There are fairies at the bottom of my garden" than to explain why there probably aren't."

And I think that just about covers it. And I still luv it here.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-17-2016 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: it needed a lot. I mean...A Lot

Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,174,192 times
When I was a Christian, my faith was based on believing what preachers told me about the bible. From their preachings God seemed so awesome.

Reason had me challenge the hell doctrine and my faith was strengthened when finding it was a false doctrine. Then, I was confronted with God sanctioning slavery, genecides and his own mass killings. This did not reflect the God I had been taught by preachers for decades. After serious reflection, I came to the conclusion that the bible is a book from men.

IMO, most Christians have never read the bible critically. They just believe because of their upbringing or peer pressures. The reality is that there is no viable evidence. Christianity is based on faith in a book that when read without the rose colored glasses, reveals its absurdities and flaws.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
When I was a Christian, my faith was based on believing what preachers told me about the bible. From their preachings God seemed so awesome.

Reason had me challenge the hell doctrine and my faith was strengthened when finding it was a false doctrine. Then, I was confronted with God sanctioning slavery, genocides and his own mass killings. This did not reflect the God I had been taught by preachers for decades. After serious reflection, I came to the conclusion that the bible is a book from men.

IMO, most Christians have never read the bible critically. They just believe because of their upbringing or peer pressures. The reality is that there is no viable evidence. Christianity is based on faith in a book that when read without the rose colored glasses, reveals its absurdities and flaws.
"What makes me believe in God will not help the atheist at all."

Out of the mouths of infantiles and suckers... Yes, Faith, and the reinforcing of Faith by mighty monuments and specious propaganda not to mention mangling science to fit a Dogma makes it all look good, but time and again this cover -up is a two edged sword, because, if they were honest, they might lose some believers, but they wouldn't be shocked when they did a bit of reading and found out what they were not being told, never mind reading further and finding out what their religious instructors probably hadn't been told themselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pE2UKOCbA

Old 09-17-2016, 08:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
OP --- do you mean a literal christian god? like a thing running around going poof there it is?

or something else? Like the teachings of jesus, that we are an "illusion". "WE" are not what we think "we" are so this god of yours might not be what you think it is either?

Old 09-17-2016, 08:55 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,632,982 times
The fact is, nobody knows for sure what happens after death. One theory is just as right or wrong as another theory. Whatever gets each individual person thru this life on earth with as little pain and suffering as possible is what works.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:03 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
OP --- do you mean a literal christian god? like a thing running around going poof there it is?

or something else? Like the teachings of jesus, that we are an "illusion". "WE" are not what we think "we" are so this god of yours might not be what you think it is either?
Yes, I'm talking about a literal, actual, god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity