Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:26 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,753 times

Advertisements

Christians:

What evidence was the prime factor in convincing you to believe in the existence of the christian god? I figured that sharing this information would be very helpful to atheists to help us identify the most convincing evidence so that we can look into it further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 07:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Why would one who admits he doesn't belive in God have any interest in convincing evidence of believers?

Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Christians:

What evidence was the prime factor in convincing you to believe in the existence of the christian god? I figured that sharing this information would be very helpful to atheists to help us identify the most convincing evidence so that we can look into it further.

I'm wondering what you're thinking. Are you really expecting to hear anything you haven't heard before?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Why would one who admits he doesn't belive in God have any interest in convincing evidence of believers?
Why wouldn't I have interest? I am always open to evidence one way or the other. Why would you want to withhold such evidence? I would think you would be proclaiming it from the rooftops in the hopes that it might convince others and hopefully lead to their salvation. If it is such strong evidence that it convinced you to believe in your particular god, then why would you not share it? It is evidence that anyone (including unbelievers) should be able to examine, correct?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I'm wondering what you're thinking. Are you really expecting to hear anything you haven't heard before?
Probably not, but I am trying to figure out what piece of evidence had the greatest impact in convincing them to believe in their god. Also, if this same specific evidence had the same effect on most christians, or if other christians were persuaded by something else.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:14 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't I have interest? I am always open to evidence one way or the other. Why would you want to withhold such evidence? I would think you would be proclaiming it from the rooftops in the hopes that it might convince others and hopefully lead to their salvation. If it is such strong evidence that it convinced you to believe in your particular god, then why would you not share it? It is evidence that anyone (including unbelievers) should be able to examine, correct?
This has all the earmarks of baiting and none of the signs of sincerity. You should know by now, unless you are raised in isolation, that the most convincing evidence of God is personal experience and NOT something unbelievers can examine, but you know that don't you?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
What I proclaim from the rooftops is the salvation of Jesus Christ. That's what Christianity is about to me. We are commanded by the Bible to make disciples for Christ, not to provide evidence that God exists. If you are truly interested in finding God, I believe you will accomplish your goals.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This has all the earmarks of baiting and none of the signs of sincerity. You should know by now, unless you are raised in isolation, that the most convincing evidence of God is personal experience and NOT something unbelievers can examine, but you know that don't you?
It's a valid question. My guess is most Christians have no idea why they believe.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Myth, you're too new to know me but at one time circa 2008-2012 I was as fundamentalist as they come, the whole nine yards. Then a preterist challenged me on my beliefs about the rapture and I started reading. To my astonishment I learned that the rapture has been predicted in every generation since Paul, even by Jesus himself, and nothing ever happened. I ditched that belief but still held onto belief in Jesus.

But then others began challenging me to read about how there was no evidence Jesus had ever existed outside the Bible. Again, I couldn't believe it so I started reading the other side and again to my astonishment I learned that indeed there is no physical evidence of a Jesus of the Bible. There may have been a Jesus or several Jesuses roaming the hills of Palestine with a small following of apocalyptic fanatics preaching the end of the world, but he was crucified, we don't have the tomb as a shrine, we don't have any writing on most of the apostles who disappear from the record after the gospels and most importantly we have absolutely no written words contemporaneous with Jesus or within roughly 100 years of his life by secular historians. He is absent from the historical, despite the incredible miracles he performed which surely would have raised the eyebrows of the Roman government. The gospels say, "His fame spread far and wide" and yet not a single word or his name is mentioned in the historical record????????

And you want to try to throw some flimsy trumped-up non-existent "evidence" against evidence like that????

Take off the rose-colored glasses like I did and wake up!!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:51 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,988 times
Just because I never saw Abraham Lincoln doesn't mean he never existed. The Holy Bible is one of the most historically well referenced documents on the planet. To hear the word and to deny it's truth is somewhat foolish. One puts one self in a pretty sad club when they don't or won't believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity