Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:20 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,645,163 times

Advertisements

(differnt definition of 'baptize' is my guess; baptize with fire!)
very nice, Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 12:38 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,848,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
John 1:29-35 explains why John baptized Jesus in water. Read it.

Jesus specifies His baptism apart from John's baptism in Acts 1:4-5.

Baptism in the Father, Son, and Spirit apart from water is not speculation.
Speculation is when you say Jesus does not ask us to be baptized in water. How do you get past the Great Commission?

Old 09-29-2016, 12:47 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,645,163 times
“Go into all the worldab and preach the gospel to the whole creation.ac 16Whoever believesad and is baptized will be saved,ae but whoever does not believe will be condemned.af 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages; 18they will pick up snakes;ag,ah if they should drink anything deadly, it will never harmai them; they will lay hands onaj the sick, and they will get well.”

how trippy is it that this is the exact same definition Christ gives for those who will hear "I never knew you?"

Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,528,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
John 1:29-35 explains why John baptized Jesus in water. Read it.

Jesus specifies His baptism apart from John's baptism in Acts 1:4-5.

Baptism in the Father, Son, and Spirit apart from water is not speculation.
Ephesians 5:25-26 explains what Jesus' baptism did

1 Peter 3:20-21 explains what Baptism does and why
  • it should be noted: the context of that section of Scripture, and the context of all of Scripture, the “pledge” refers to God’s actions toward people.

Matthew 28:19 Jesus mentions baptism first as to the making of all nations ... the Great Commission

Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 PM

45,760 posts, read 27,404,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I read it, but that didn't answer to me the question of why would Jesus Himself command his followers to go out there and baptize all the nations of the earth if He wasn't speaking about water baptism (Matt 28:91).

IF baptism is only baptism by the Holy Spirit
THEN Jesus could not ask or expect any human to be able to baptize anyone
THEREFORE why would He command them to baptize if only the Holy Spirit could baptize?

That's what I don't understand about your viewpoint. Thank you in advance for clarifying for me.
You are on target with the bold above.

The best example is in Acts 10. Peter preached a message from verses 34-43. Then verse 44...

Acts 10:44-45 - While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. 45 All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.

Peter preached the message. The household believed in Jesus Christ... and HE baptized them with the Holy Spirit. Peter's role in this baptism is the preaching of the gospel, which is the gateway for those who receive Christ to be baptized with the Spirit by Christ. That is our role as well.

Part of the disciple making process (go and make disciples from Matt 28) is preaching the gospel so that Jesus can baptize people with the Holy Spirit.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:55 PM

45,760 posts, read 27,404,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Speculation is when you say Jesus does not ask us to be baptized in water. How do you get past the Great Commission?
The Great Commission does not mention water.

Why do you add it in to the passage?

Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,071,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I just have to say.
I love you.
If you need anything.
I will be there Sis.

I would eve'n hide you in the wilderness my love

Aww.....I love you too, pinacled. Thanks....that made my month. Peace

Old 09-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
So you believe that all the exhortations in the NT for believers to be baptized refers solely to Spirit baptism and not to an immersive believer's baptism in water? The Greek word for baptism means "immerse" but I suppose you may think it means to be immersed/washed over by/etc. the Spirit?

I do not myself interpret it that way, but no one here seems to agree on anything, ha ha.

If you don't believe in water baptism, what is your commentary on Mark 1, where Jesus Himself is baptized? What do you take away from that?

My own opinion is that baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate thing from water baptism, aka believer's baptism. Baptism is not necessary for salvation, but one who is saved should follow the Bible's exhortations and be baptized. Baptism is an act of obedience symbolizing the believer's faith in a crucified, buried, and risen Savior and the believer's death to sin, the burial of the old life, and the resurrection to walk a new life in Christ Jesus.

Finally let me rep someone again....

Old 09-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
“Go into all the worldab and preach the gospel to the whole creation.ac 16Whoever believesad and is baptized will be saved,ae but whoever does not believe will be condemned.af 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages; 18they will pick up snakes;ag,ah if they should drink anything deadly, it will never harmai them; they will lay hands onaj the sick, and they will get well.”

how trippy is it that this is the exact same definition Christ gives for those who will hear "I never knew you?"

Which is exactly what I've been saying; the realm of Pentecost ends and all those that do not press into Tabernacles will be cast out into outer (court) darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when they see what they could have had.

The 3 court pattern at that point changes to a two part pattern of David's Tabernacle as opposed to Moses's. This age or dispensation was set to change at 2 days or 2000 years from Yeshua which He pointed out when He said that today (one 1000 year day) and tomorrow (second 1000 year day) I will do cures and cast out devils (same as above comment), but the 3rd day I will be perfected (completed = the body provides Him with a place to lay His head). Peace

Old 09-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Rom 6:3 does not mention water.

That was so John would recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Jesdus has no need to be filled with the Hooy "Spirit.

Since water baptism cannot save, the ONE baptism must be the baptism of the Holy Spirit. just as there is ONE Lord and ONE faith.

John said, Behold the lamb, ect." BEFORE the dove landed on Him, so it was not so John could recognize Him.

I never said water baptism could save. You have to look back to what the Jews were already doing, a mikvah was a ritual cleansing, so the only thing added to it was the understanding of WHAT it was actually for, ie. the repentance from dead (devoid of the Spirit) works.

One is the likeness of being made conformable to His death, the other (Spirit) is being made conformable to His life, the life of the Spirit. This is why BOTH are required, although I do agree with you that the part about one baptism there is speaking of the spiritual one, but only because it was the new one.

Everyone wants to be resurrected, but few want to die to receive it (while still in the body). Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity