Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:19 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But PC changes every election or so and becomes more and more, ..... driven totally by what those in power or by those who bribe, oops, contribute to their campaigns, want.

While Christianity is divided as much as the political parties, it too has its own constitution- the Bible. Like the the Constitution, many want to change the Bible to fit what ever is popular at any given time.
Many would also use the bible to punish the people for imaginary sins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 09:34 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I doubt if I would be considered a Christian by most of the regulars in this forum, but I have many professed Christians (of various sects and strengths) whom I count among my friends, and some of whom I deeply admire.

But the stridency I see in some of the posts by the more dogmatic of the participants this forum strikes me as little different from the collection of arbitrary absolutes "sanctified" via the pretzel-logic known as Political Correctness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But PC changes every election or so and becomes more and more, ..... driven totally by what those in power or by those who bribe, oops, contribute to their campaigns, want.

While Christianity is divided as much as the political parties, it too has its own constitution- the Bible. Like the the Constitution, many want to change the Bible to fit what ever is popular at any given time.
The term "Political Correctness" is relatively new, having emerged in the early 1990's, and it's my belief that it was largely a reaction to the development of a libertarian (small 'l' emphasized) movement on a number of campuses, beginning in the late Sixties. That movement, in turn, was an outgrowth of the Objectivist philosophy of Ayn Rand, which reached its own high-water mark a few years previously.

I myself was an undergraduate during those years, and can recall the satirical cover story spoofing "Saint Ayn" on the cover of William Buckley's National Review. Within little more than a year Buckley's campus conservative group, Young Americans for Freedom, was to split along traditionalist vs. libertarian lines, with about 40% of the membership walking out of its 1969 national convention, and merging with an Objectivist study group to form what eventually became the International Society for Individual Liberty, and a forerunner of the Libertarian Party.

Those were heady times, when it was fashionable to propose a "society without coercion", but most of our idealism eventually fell prey to the economic and interpersonal realities of life. But it should be noted that while Political Correctness remains little more than a collection of sometimes-contradictory platitudes centered on not offending a collection of special interests -- excluding only presumably-white mature males (the Lefties' favorite whipping boys), the central libertarian ethic is grounded in a belief that personal, expressionary, and economic liberties are unitary and indivisible -- and not subject to change with the whims of the moment.

Most of the libertarians I know have no quarrel with religious belief, viewing it as a private matter not to be discussed unless mutually and voluntarily agreed to, and never to be imposed via the power vested (and hopefully, minimalized) in a modern nation-state. Unfortunately, the natural tendency to develop and refine doctrine in most sects makes this difficult for many of those attracted to a personal faith to understand.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-10-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-10-2016, 09:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Donald Trump is not a Christian.
Do you mean that he isn't a "real" Christian because he is an embarrassment to your religious views (not to all) or perhaps because you consider that Wiki is not a reliable source?

"Religious views

Trump is a Presbyterian.[517] He has said that he began going to church at the First Presbyterian Church in the Jamaica neighborhood in Queens as a child.[518] Trump attended Sunday school and had his confirmation at that church.[518] In an April 2011 interview on the 700 Club, he commented: "I'm a Protestant, I'm a Presbyterian. And you know I've had a good relationship with the church over the years. I think religion is a wonderful thing. I think my religion is a wonderful religion."[519][520] Trump told a 2015 South Carolina campaign audience he attends Marble Collegiate Church, where he married his first wife Ivana in 1977. Marble has said that, though Trump has a longstanding history with the church, he is a Presbyterian and not an active member of Marble.[518][nb 2] Trump has said that although he participates in Holy Communion, he has not asked God for forgiveness for his sins. He stated, "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture."[521]
In 1983, the Reverend Norman Vincent Peale, described in a New York Times profile as Trump's "pastor" and "family minister", said that Trump was "kindly and courteous in certain business negotiations and has a profound streak of honest humility."[12] Trump calls his own book The Art of the Deal (1987) "my second favorite book of all time," and has told campaign audiences: "Do you know what my first is? The Bible! Nothing beats the Bible."[522][523] Declining to name his favorite Bible verse, Trump said "I don't like giving that out to people that you hardly know."[518] However, his religious knowledge was widely mocked at a speech he gave to Liberty University (America's most prominent evangelical college), in which he pronounced Second Corinthians as "Two Corintians", causing the audience to break out into laughter.[524]
Trump maintains relationships with several prominent national Evangelical Protestant and other Christian leaders, including Tony Perkins and Ralph E. Reed Jr.[525] During his 2016 presidential campaign, he received a blessing from Greek Orthodox priest Emmanuel Lemelson.[526] Trump has ties to the Jewish-American community.[527] At an Algemeiner Journal awards ceremony honoring him with the Algemeiner Liberty Award, he was asked about having Jewish grandchildren. In reference to daughter Ivanka, who converted to Judaism before her marriage to Jared Kushner, Trump said: "Not only do I have Jewish grandchildren, I have a Jewish daughter; and I am very honored by that ... it wasn't in the plan but I am very glad it happened."[528]" (wiki)

p.s he gave to Liberty University (America's most prominent evangelical college).I believe Prof. Dawkins had something to say about Liberty University.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:10 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Many would also use the bible to punish the people for imaginary sins...
thus revealing their hearts.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Do you mean that he isn't a "real" Christian because he is an embarrassment to your religious views (not to all) or perhaps because you consider that Wiki is not a reliable source?

"Religious views

Trump is a Presbyterian.[517] He has said that he began going to church at the First Presbyterian Church in the Jamaica neighborhood in Queens as a child.[518] Trump attended Sunday school and had his confirmation at that church.[518] In an April 2011 interview on the 700 Club, he commented: "I'm a Protestant, I'm a Presbyterian. And you know I've had a good relationship with the church over the years. I think religion is a wonderful thing. I think my religion is a wonderful religion."[519][520] Trump told a 2015 South Carolina campaign audience he attends Marble Collegiate Church, where he married his first wife Ivana in 1977. Marble has said that, though Trump has a longstanding history with the church, he is a Presbyterian and not an active member of Marble.[518][nb 2] Trump has said that although he participates in Holy Communion, he has not asked God for forgiveness for his sins. He stated, "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture."[521]
In 1983, the Reverend Norman Vincent Peale, described in a New York Times profile as Trump's "pastor" and "family minister", said that Trump was "kindly and courteous in certain business negotiations and has a profound streak of honest humility."[12] Trump calls his own book The Art of the Deal (1987) "my second favorite book of all time," and has told campaign audiences: "Do you know what my first is? The Bible! Nothing beats the Bible."[522][523] Declining to name his favorite Bible verse, Trump said "I don't like giving that out to people that you hardly know."[518] However, his religious knowledge was widely mocked at a speech he gave to Liberty University (America's most prominent evangelical college), in which he pronounced Second Corinthians as "Two Corintians", causing the audience to break out into laughter.[524]
Trump maintains relationships with several prominent national Evangelical Protestant and other Christian leaders, including Tony Perkins and Ralph E. Reed Jr.[525] During his 2016 presidential campaign, he received a blessing from Greek Orthodox priest Emmanuel Lemelson.[526] Trump has ties to the Jewish-American community.[527] At an Algemeiner Journal awards ceremony honoring him with the Algemeiner Liberty Award, he was asked about having Jewish grandchildren. In reference to daughter Ivanka, who converted to Judaism before her marriage to Jared Kushner, Trump said: "Not only do I have Jewish grandchildren, I have a Jewish daughter; and I am very honored by that ... it wasn't in the plan but I am very glad it happened."[528]" (wiki)

p.s he gave to Liberty University (America's most prominent evangelical college).I believe Prof. Dawkins had something to say about Liberty University.
so, apparently a Rothschild by adoption, a new Hitler.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
so, apparently a Rothschild by adoption, a new Hitler.
May I remind you that the original Christians were also Jews?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
May I remind you that the original Christians were also Jews?
Sephardic, not Ashkenazi though, yes?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:53 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:

"Religious views

Even if Trump is a Christian then he is a baby Christian. Even so Trump values is in contrast to Christianity. Of course Trump would say he is Christian in order to get the Christian support. Just because he can appear in Church, just like anyone does not mean he or anyone is Christian. Christianity is a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. With the Lord Jesus Christ in anyone life there is a transformation in one life. The Old life is the past and the person is given new desires.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Even if Trump is a Christian then he is a baby Christian. Even so Trump values is in contrast to Christianity. Of course Trump would say he is Christian in order to get the Christian support. Just because he can appear in Church, just like anyone does not mean he or anyone is Christian. Christianity is a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. With the Lord Jesus Christ in anyone life there is a transformation in one life. The Old life is the past and the person is given new desires.
Trump has publicly stated, more than once, that he has nothing to ask forgiveness for from anyone, God included. Simply reflecting upon the juxtaposition of the words "Trump" and "repentance" (or "I'm ashamed and sorry") should suffice, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity