Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:33 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again...he is attacking people for having an opinion. Yay for him and his "anti-bullying" stance.
No. You didn't read the rest of his blog entry, I guess. In his own words...

" I was attacking the argument that gay people must be discriminated against—and anti-bullying programs that address anti-gay bullying should be blocked (or exceptions should be made for bullying "motivated by faith")—because it says right there in the Bible that being gay is wrong. Yet the same people who make that claim choose to ignore what the Bible has to say about a great deal else. I did not attack Christianity. I attacked hypocrisy. My remarks can only be read as an attack on all Christians if you believe that all Christians are hypocrites. Which I don't believe."

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...nd-pansy-assed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 10:37 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No. You didn't read the rest of his blog entry, I guess. In his own words...

" I was attacking the argument that gay people must be discriminated against—and anti-bullying programs that address anti-gay bullying should be blocked (or exceptions should be made for bullying "motivated by faith")—because it says right there in the Bible that being gay is wrong. Yet the same people who make that claim choose to ignore what the Bible has to say about a great deal else. I did not attack Christianity. I attacked hypocrisy. My remarks can only be read as an attack on all Christians if you believe that all Christians are hypocrites. Which I don't believe."

On "Bull****" and "Pansy-Assed" - Slog - The Stranger
I read that. He is attacking anyone that has that argument -- anyone that disagrees with him. Rather rudely and profanely, if I may add. Yay for him.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I read that. He is attacking anyone that has that argument -- anyone that disagrees with him. Rather rudely and profanely, if I may add. Yay for him.

No, he's not attacking (present tense) people. He acknowledges that, in that instance, he stepped over the line and he apologized for those comments. (You believe in forgiveness for those who ask it, but not for him?) What he does, present tense, is attack faulty arguments and hypocrisy.

Certainly you are not saying that conservative Christians (including yourself) never disagree with or attack other people's ideas, beliefs, or arguments?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
No, he's not attacking (present tense) people. He acknowledges that, in that instance, he stepped over the line and he apologized for those comments. (You believe in forgiveness for those who ask it, but not for him?) What he does, present tense, is attack faulty arguments and hypocrisy.
And by doing so he's saying that their opinion is not worthy. You don't see that the same guy that takes offense at people saying HIS opinion and behavior is not good is now doing the same to others?
Quote:
Certainly you are not saying that conservative Christians (including yourself) never disagree with or attack other people's ideas, beliefs, or arguments?
I am happy to debate and discuss. But I will not use profanity and call people name, while getting upset at them saying I'm wrong.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
And by doing so he's saying that their opinion is not worthy. You don't see that the same guy that takes offense at people saying HIS opinion and behavior is not good is now doing the same to others?
The difference, Viz, is that you all are insisting that "behavior" (being gay), which does NOT negatively affect you, is not "worthy". He's calling out discriminatory behavior that DOES negatively affect those who are gay, as being unworthy of those who claim to be God's representatives on earth.

Quote:
I am happy to debate and discuss. But I will not use profanity and call people name, while getting upset at them saying I'm wrong.
Good for you. Not everyone, including many conservative Christians, is as perfect as you.

Last edited by Pleroo; 10-15-2016 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 11:00 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
k, well i wouldn't get it twisted, homosexuals were being oppressed, by people calling themselves Christians, and although the pendulum will swing now so as to reflect even the militant ones, i think for the most part these people were just seeking equality, equal treatment. You might be fighting God here.
That may be but quoting what the Bible says is not anti-homosexual or bigoted.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:02 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Of COURSE he was attacking the elements of the Bible that are used to BULLY, that's what his project is about.
No he wasn't. He was attacking the ones who believe what the Bible says.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:03 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
The difference, Viz, is that you all are insisting that "behavior" (being gay), which does NOT negatively affect you, is not "worthy". He's calling out discriminatory behavior that DOES negatively affect those who are gay, as being unworthy of those who claim to be God's representatives on earth.
AND, I would add, without taking the trouble to investigate the rationale, especially how it fails in love in spite of the meme, "love the sinner, hate the sin," which was addresed above. Not because there is not a good argument, but because they don't WANT to consider how their doctrine could be wrong and "them" normal.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
That is debatable. You say it doesn't affect us so we shouldn't care? It very much DOES affect us when laws are changed and society redefines things we hold dear.
Quote:

Good for you. Not everyone, including many conservative Christians, is as perfect as you.
I never claimed to be perfect. I'm saying that it's ok to disagree and still be friends.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
AND, I would add, without taking the trouble to investigate the rationale, especially how it fails in love in spite of the meme, "love the sinner, hate the sin," which was addresed above. Not because there is not a good argument, but because they don't WANT to consider how their doctrine could be wrong and "them" normal.
An important addition. Thanks Nate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity