Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:05 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
well it might be helpful to illuminate why a human sacrifice would not be sufficient to our purposes.
Strange works from a man that sits where he does. Worshipping something that is not of the All Mighty.

I know of a person that says they have the key of David. Yet lies and claims they know the door. I have now seen the 3 frogs come out of the mouth of the one denying to be his brothers keeper.

Soon all that cry from under the altar will rise.

Those that have taken the mark of the beast will try and fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:14 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,414 times
13Therefore the person who speaks in another language should pray that he can interpret.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:19 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
i think it has possibilities! "Only legislating morality is a sin" might be too exclusive tho.

Why are you judging another's servant? seems to fit his premise, at least. But i dislike the conclusion, because if i murder you, i am not legislating your morality. Am i? Hmm.
Because the "death" that results from this sin (of Adam) is just a word for depression. Low spirits. Think of the Bible as a self-help book. The true message has nothing to do with establishing laws (as religious people believe it does).

Murder obviously has consequences. And you could say that it was this same sin that leads a person to commit murder. The murderer has determined that his victim deserves death. Just like religious people today will say about their "enemies", even if their enemies have not done any harm to anyone.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you think that it is possible that when the "law" is discussed in the New Testament, it is not necessarily some kind of vague "mystical" thing. I'm not referring the Law of Christ. I am referring to the law that Paul writes about. I think it is possible that he is referring to all the laws of the Hebrews, particularly the idea of Moral Law in general. But this was tied into their civil laws. All of their laws were considered moral laws, handed down from God.

But the point of Jesus Christ was that he questioned the whole idea of Moral Laws. The idea that a man could write a law and have it be a standard of morality for all men. I think this was the sin of Adam. (As all are dead in Adam, all are alive in Jesus Christ, paraphrased). There was really one sin, that is the sin of writing moral laws on which to judge people. That was the one sin that Adam and Even committed: Knowledge of Good and Evil.

To say that something is good or evil is to set up yourself as God.

That is the ONLY sin that a person can commit, according to the Bible: Legislating morality.

What do you think of this interpretation?

Dear oz,
I think God wrote his own Law, by his own finger. That is the Law which Paul and his followers think they have been released from. (Romans 7:6) They have written their own set of standards.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:30 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Because the "death" that results from this sin (of Adam) is just a word for depression. Low spirits. Think of the Bible as a self-help book. The true message has nothing to do with establishing laws (as religious people believe it does).

Murder obviously has consequences. And you could say that it was this same sin that leads a person to commit murder. The murderer has determined that his victim deserves death. Just like religious people today will say about their "enemies", even if their enemies have not done any harm to anyone.
yes, i was reflecting upon this myself. While it is not immediately apparent, murder could be characterized as a result of judgement; "they must die, because ______." I'll try to come up with one that does not fit this profile, but, hmm. Not really big on viewing what are usually termed "venial sins" as actually being sins per se, but what about...addiction? the sins that result from addiction, if not the actual addiction? ha, but i'm already pretty stretched out there i guess. Dunno.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:23 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
yes, i was reflecting upon this myself. While it is not immediately apparent, murder could be characterized as a result of judgement; "they must die, because ______." I'll try to come up with one that does not fit this profile, but, hmm. Not really big on viewing what are usually termed "venial sins" as actually being sins per se, but what about...addiction? the sins that result from addiction, if not the actual addiction? ha, but i'm already pretty stretched out there i guess. Dunno.
Depends on the type of addiction.
The area of narcotics, barbituates, and depressants are well understood in the medical feild by educated physicians to certain measurement or degree.

While definitions are manipulated, chemistry states cause and effect are congruent and profitable by dosage.

Kind of boring subject.

But the fact remains. Highly addictive traits should not be cycled.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:16 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The book of Romans in a nutshell (according to Richard Rohr): "Learn how to obey the rules very well, so you will know how to break them properly." ~ Dalai Lama
(If we never learn to ask the question of what the purpose of a law is, and then decide if it does or does not apply in a given situation, we haven't matured. But, many of us are afraid of having that freedom, or of anyone else having it.)

Old 10-20-2016, 10:27 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
The only problem with that is, no one is really interested in what the purpose of it is, only that they find a way to circumvent it = not die to self. This of course, is why the word says that ALL MEN seek after THEIR OWN THINGS, and NOT the things which be of Christ. Therefore it is not difficult to determine what the motive of the heart is, if it deviates from the word. Peace

Old 10-20-2016, 11:02 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
(If we never learn to ask the question of what the purpose of a law is, and then decide if it does or does not apply in a given situation, we haven't matured. But, many of us are afraid of having that freedom, or of anyone else having it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
The only problem with that is, no one is really interested in what the purpose of it is, only that they find a way to circumvent it = not die to self. This of course, is why the word says that ALL MEN seek after THEIR OWN THINGS, and NOT the things which be of Christ. Therefore it is not difficult to determine what the motive of the heart is, if it deviates from the word. Peace
If you do not know the purpose, you cannot achieve it. Simple obedience will not get it done. That is why the Old Covenant failed.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:19 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Here you reveal you do not know the purpose of Christ, you use the scripture like it is law and make Christ redundant. The purpose of the scripture is to reveal Christ and where to find him. What says the scripture about the place to find him of whom the prophets spoke

Know you not that Jesus Christ is in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity