Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:23 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,028,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think our difference of opinion is in how we define "life." You believe the majority will end up in Hell. I believe the majority (the overwhelmingly vast majority) will end up in Heaven, many having a taste of Hell during the period between the time they die and the time of the resurrection. I believe that the "few" who find "life" are those who, through their faithfulness and obedience, will receive the greatest gift God has to offer His children, and that is eternal life in His presence and in the presence of their loved ones, with the blessing of being able to progress forever. Most will not receive this blessing, but that doesn't mean they'll end up experiencing eternal torment either.
So what does this verse mean? Offhand I think it's Rev 20-

And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur, into which the beast and the false prophet had already been thrown. There they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Matt 25: 40-42 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’ 41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 4

Matt 25:46 “These will go away into eternal punishment, aka accursed, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels...but the righteous into eternal life.

Torment = Eternal Punishment in the eternal fire.

Eternal Punishment= Torment

The time you speak of "in between the time they die and the resurrection" they are dead in the grave. They are asleep. Being asleep doesn't hold to the same definition as being tormented which means and equals, eternal punishment

The reason they are tormented forever is because they do not stop sinning. They are still sinning except the brief time they are in the grave asleep. The dead know nothing so in a sense, they do not dream. No brain activity so it is as if time stood still.

If you've ever studied Hebrews, you will see sin is a never ending thing because of the law. An aminal sacrifice for this sin, then for that sin. They never stopped sinning. When Jesus came, he died for his own to save them from their sin being the sacrifice for those who belong to him. They receive a new name called SAINTS. The term SINNER is always linked with the ungodly, the unrighteous, the unsaved. It is ALWAYS linked to sin in scripture.

Sinners are constantly attoning for their sins because they keep sinning, even in hell. They need atonement so they are their own sacrifice, forever and ever because their sinning is forever and ever. (except during their short sleep until the resurrection). And where the Saints are concerned, they are not sinning because Jesus fulfilled the law for them. So they are not held to the law. The law remains for the unsaved, and they remain judged by it. And they remain transgressing it. And they remain tormented and eternally punished by it

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 12-08-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:33 PM

45,631 posts, read 27,250,610 times
With regards to the topic... Eve was deceived. Adam was disobedient.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
With regards to the topic... Eve was deceived. Adam was disobedient.
Interesting. So you can be disobedient but not be in sin

Old 12-08-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So do you believe this is due to our own sins or to Adam's and/or Eve's sin?
In finding your answer (I often know it but not the verse offhand so google it) I found something else interesting. Not to get off topic but check this out

R0mans 5: 12-Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned— 13for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

So death and sin entered the world thru one man.

So bodily and eternal death entered the word via Adam.

So yes, Adam caused bodily death.

Because even "the little ones" who are not held to the laws standard, (sin only exists when the law is the standard) thus will not face hell, will experience a bodily death.

Sin was imputed into us via Adam.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Christians aren't known for bickering.

So likely, these are the unsaved bickering. Just saying...

Mark 3:24

If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand
30 thousand plus divisions ought to tell you something.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:15 PM

45,631 posts, read 27,250,610 times
Quote:
Interesting. So you can be disobedient but not be in sin
No... Adam sinned.

I didn't read through the entire thread... maybe I missed something.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM

19,069 posts, read 27,655,039 times
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. 8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”
10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”
12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”
13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”
The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
14 So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,
“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman, and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush[b] your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

16 To the woman he said,
“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’
“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

Old 12-08-2016, 02:41 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
Disobedience to God is sin.
So long as one is with out God's instruction, they sin.
Jesus, through His sacrifice provided the Holy Spirit so that one can receive the instruction of God, real time.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:17 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
<Snip>
The reason they are tormented forever is because they do not stop sinning. They are still sinning except the brief time they are in the grave asleep. The dead know nothing so in a sense, they do not dream. No brain activity so it is as if time stood still.

If you've ever studied Hebrews, you will see sin is a never ending thing because of the law. An aminal sacrifice for this sin, then for that sin. They never stopped sinning. When Jesus came, he died for his own to save them from their sin being the sacrifice for those who belong to him. They receive a new name called SAINTS. The term SINNER is always linked with the ungodly, the unrighteous, the unsaved. It is ALWAYS linked to sin in scripture.

Sinners are constantly attoning for their sins because they keep sinning, even in hell. They need atonement so they are their own sacrifice, forever and ever because their sinning is forever and ever. (except during their short sleep until the resurrection). And where the Saints are concerned, they are not sinning because Jesus fulfilled the law for them. So they are not held to the law. The law remains for the unsaved, and they remain judged by it. And they remain transgressing it. And they remain tormented and eternally punished by it
Any human heart that can accept this evil as justified and reasonable has no idea who our God IS and their heart epitomizes a hardened heart, IMO.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Any human heart that can accept this evil as justified and reasonable has no idea who our God IS and their heart epitomizes a hardened heart, IMO.
I sure hope you're right and would love to be wrong on this

It's just how I read it.

It scares the beejeebers out of me

And was a huge reason why I am middle aged and never went to church

My parents forbid it as a child

I don't want ANYONE to suffer eternal torment in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity