Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:35 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,728,352 times

Advertisements

Humans can teach us something about farewells also. Never be afraid to look and see how words may have been placed in the mouths of others---to help you express your own feelings.

Lincoln's Farewell address to Springfield, Illinois after his election to the Presidency:
Quote:
My friends, no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell
Abraham Lincoln's Farewell Address

Robert E. Lee's Farewell address to the Army of Northern Virginia:
Quote:
After four years of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them; but feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that must have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement, officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from a consciousness of duty faithfully performed; and I earnestly pray that a Merciful God will extend to you His blessings and protection.

With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your Country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration for myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell.
Lee's Farewell Address to the Army of Norther Virginia
I once did a college term paper on these two farewells. Both mentioned God. The sound of unbelievable sadness fills their words. Both expressed hope for the good of those they were leaving.

I've always felt burning bridges is not only in poor taste, but makes it impossible for one to look back on their past with appreciation for how it impacted their future.

May God bless you on a journey I made many times in my professional career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 01:57 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Really? What should I be worried about then? ... considering, I'm not big on worry these days.
Worry for nothing, but in everything give thanks.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:14 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,624,763 times
Quote:
This is kind of a serious question. I mean, the nature of goodbye's can be emotional, and pertinent, given the enormity of just what sort of goodbye it is. Maybe the Kubler Ross 5 stages of grief apply to certain goodbye's....

As for where this is coming from; Me, I'm leaving my job next week - currently in notice period. I think at this stage, because of what has gone on - the negative side of the coin - I'm happy just to walk out the door. But part of me says, rise above it, and go shake hands with a few people. I'm going to a better position/opportunity on more money - all thanks to Father - it's been amazing how its happened and the timing. Many conversations and outcomes just couldn't have been planned, with the stuff that's gone on.

So, I'm wondering, is there a spiritual aspect to needing to, or not needing to say goodbye? And the occasion I'm specifically thinking of is the ascension - where Jesus left this world for good. We all, when we leave a job, substantially leave a specific world and never return to it. This is my line of thinking. But at the same time, we will see everyone of the people again, in eternity, as the Father brings it about - we will be reconciled to all eventually.
What? No good bye party at the pub with drinks on them? .

Shake hands, put on a big smile, knowing you are moving forward. I costs you nothing to say good-by to difficult people who will miss you. It gives a bit of closure.

Congrats for the new job.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:09 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,986,623 times
Quote:
This is kind of a serious question. I mean, the nature of goodbye's can be emotional, and pertinent, given the enormity of just what sort of goodbye it is. Maybe the Kubler Ross 5 stages of grief apply to certain goodbye's....
As for where this is coming from; Me, I'm leaving my job next week - currently in notice period. I think at this stage, because of what has gone on - the negative side of the coin - I'm happy just to walk out the door. But part of me says, rise above it, and go shake hands with a few people. I'm going to a better position/opportunity on more money - all thanks to Father - it's been amazing how its happened and the timing. Many conversations and outcomes just couldn't have been planned, with the stuff that's gone on.
So, I'm wondering, is there a spiritual aspect to needing to, or not needing to say goodbye? And the occasion I'm specifically thinking of is the ascension - where Jesus left this world for good. We all, when we leave a job, substantially leave a specific world and never return to it. This is my line of thinking. But at the same time, we will see everyone of the people again, in eternity, as the Father brings it about - we will be reconciled to all eventually.
We are all invited to pray the invitation for Jesus to come - Revelation 22:20

My grandmother did Not like saying goodbye, but see you later, etc. A 'goodbye' can be temporary in nature.

When on Earth Jesus resurrected some people. Jesus' physical resurrections were a small sample, a preview, or coming attraction, of what Jesus will be doing on a grander-global scale during his coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth when those physically resurrected ones will not have to die ever again.
No more death on Earth - Isaiah 25:8; 1st Cor. 15:26
So, the ' majority ' of mankind will be re-united with loved ones at that millennial time frame.
The reason I say majority is because Jesus' ransom covers MANY and does Not say all at Matthew 20:28
Those who commit the unforgivable sin are Not forgiven - Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6
They are wicked ones who will be destroyed forever - Psalm 92:7
We are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25:31-33,37 when Jesus, as Shepherd, will separate the figurative humble ' sheep'-like people. They are the meek who will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised - Matthew 5:5
Those classed by Jesus as wicked will be destroyed forever - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-16; Psalm 92:7
So, we have two (2) choices before us to either 'repent' or we will ' perish ' ( be destroyed ) - 2nd Peter 3:9
Although Jesus left this world, Jesus will have earthly subjects of God's kingdom - Psalm 72:8,12-14
And we can be confident that No one righteous will be left out of that beautiful paradisical picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity