Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or did anyone else see this as a list, something to follow, something that takes a person away from the grace of Christ. It seems to me that when you start obsessing over sin to the point of creating an outline or matrix, then your focus is taken off the cross and life that Christ wants you to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
OK, here it is the 4th Sunday in Lent and I'm off and rambling. If you have read any of my recent posts, you will know that I am enthralled with a website that I stumbled upon in my search for information on Lent. (Fisheaters.com) It is a Catholic site, so if you choose to go to it, please be forewarned. Also note, I am not looking to convert anyone.

While I was looking through the site this morning, I stumbled upon a page called, Lists Every Catholic Should be Familiar With. One of the lists is:

The 9 Ways We Participate in Others' Sins
By counsel
By command
By consent
By provocation
By praise or flattery
By concealment
By partaking
By silence
By defense of the ill done

It got me thinking, is the one who participates in others' sins just as guilty as the one who sinned? As I read the list, most of the ways of participation seemed obvious...others, not quite so. I am hoping that this will spark some interesting discussion and also some food for thought. I know it has my mind working. (Question to self: How do I participate in others' sins and how can I avoid this?)

For comparison, I am including the lists of sins from this site.

The 7 Capital Sins and their Contrary Virtues
Capital Sin
Definition
Contrary Virtue

Pride Unrestrained appreciation of our own worth
Humility
Greed Immoderate desire for earthly goods
Liberality
Lust Hankering for impure pleasures
Chastity
Anger Inordinate desire for revenge
Meekness
Gluttony Unrestrained use of food and drink
Temperance
Envy Sorrow over another's good fortune
Brotherly Love
Sloth Laxity in keeping the Faith and the practice of virtue
Diligence

Note:
The 7 Capital Sins, also known as "The 7 Deadly Sins," are those sins that give rise to other sins. They were first enumerated by Pope St. Gregory the Great in "Moralia in Job."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 6 Sins against the Holy Ghost
Presumption
Despair
Resisting the known truth
Envy of another’s spiritual good
Obstinacy in sin
Final impenitence
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 4 Sins that Cry Out to Heaven
Willful murder
The sin of Sodom
Oppression of the poor
Defrauding laborers of their wages

Note:
Genesis 4, Genesis 18, Exodus 2, James 5, respectively.

And just in case anyone wants the actual link to the entire list:

Catholic Lists

Thanks for reading...

May we all be blessed.

<>< weather...
Something to post on my refrigerator, in my car, at my work etc... I believe it isn't so much trying to be perfect, but following Christ and being reminded of his nature. My life would be so much better if I focused on these things rather than all my problems. Sin truly does destroy lives.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:13 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Quite frankly, June never understood this whole concept of "sin." (No big surprise there...) It always seemed to June that rather than focusing on the negative aspects of one's "sinful nature" that one should be focusing on the more proactive elements or aspects of one's faith...

--But then again, how would June know?

Take gentle care.

It might surprise June to know that she's voiced a Biblical truth. I have a book that claims that Christians are never once called sinners after they become Christians. They're called children of God, saints, dearly beloved, righteous and holy, salt of the earth, light of the world, Christ's friend, a new creation, and lots of other good things. A Christian's identity should focus on those good things rather than on sin. Yes, Christians still sin, but that should not be how we identify ourselves. I'm sure June the therapist will agree that we become what we think we are. If we think we are sinners, we're only giving ourselves permission to continue to sin. If we think we're all those good things, the sin nature will start to take a backseat to our new identity.

Philippians 4:8 even gives a list of things we should be thinking about: whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity