Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am not Christian. Nor is my husband. But we are typical Americans who celebrate major holidays, from Christmas to Independence day. Pre-kids, of course we didn't celebrate Easter. But since the kids were old enough to learn about it from friends (Easter egg hunts, bunny rabbits, easter baskets, big ham dinners) I gave in and we celebrate those aspects of it.

However...I feel like it is wrong. I feel like it is an insult to the Christian religion to take, arguably, your most sacred holiday and bastardize it. My husband thinks I take it too seriously.

What are other people's opinions?
HAPPY EASTER and enjoy the festivities..chocolate and all..!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Does you husband take the Bible seriously. Take the teachings of Jesus as serious.

To me, it Not what are other people's opinions, but what is God's opinion as taught in Scripture.
- 1st Corinthians 10:20-21; - 2 Corinthians 6:14-17

Especially when un-faithful Jews began mixing with the Greeks they adopted theories and philosophies out of harmony with Scripture, and the blending and fusing of scriptural with un-scriptural does Not make it as being Scriptural.
Jesus warned about doctrines of men at Matthew 15:9.

Since Jesus gave us only one date by which to remember him - Luke 22:19 - his day of death by the bread and wine.
So, the only scriptural date is the Jewish lunar calendar date of the month of Nisan the 14th day.
The rest are all man-made holidays outside of Scripture. They were often already existing non-biblical celebrations. Christian names were just added to them.
Why would you provide scriptural references to a person who has clearly stated that neither she nor her husband are Christians? Or ask if her husband takes the Bible seriously? How does that even make sense?

Do you think she is going to go find a Bible and look up those verses, so burning is she by what you said?

What do you think you are accomplishing with a post like this?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 PM

678 posts, read 437,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why scriptural references to a person who has clearly stated that neither she nor her husband are Christians?
Or ask if her husband takes the Bible seriously? How does that even make sense?
Do you think she is going to go find a Bible and look up those verses, so burning is she by what you said?

What do you think you are accomplishing with a post like this?
Agreed.
And this is one, of many reasons why I no longer attend church for the most part.
After so many years of harmful preaching. including some literally screaming! a few inches away,
re hell-fire etc., it is readily apparent that all (but a few Christians) have nary a clue re God/Christ's *love*...

Once a person accepts Christ as God (amidst other roles He plays in our personal life), &
allows self to be Transformed... by His *love*, said person gains the New-life which God wants us to enjoy...
Surely Him on the cross was necessary. But that was only 1 step, after which comes the Resurrection, the most JOYous occasion.
God wants us to be joyous, AS He lives joyful
. - And God/Christ smiles when children find an egg, or even some chocolate.

God knows when a child is ready to accept Him as Savior, Teacher, Best-friend, & Resurrector. PRAISE God.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:36 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Its big business selling chocolate on these days like Halloween, valentine, Easter, Christmas , were you can get the left over chocolate half price after the celebration is the bonus .......Still churches which have egg hunt and ignore the resurrection of Jesus sacrifice defiantly will miss the point ...... In the prophetic Word from God on Easter said He ``was brutally killed and put a grave and was raised up where all of the people can be blessed beyond belief , and are so, just don`t keep your witness a secret , go out and tell others , as the world is a dark place in these days ``.... in so many words ................ See God does not make reference to bunny eggs

Old 04-17-2017, 04:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
I am not Christian. Nor is my husband. But we are typical Americans who celebrate major holidays, from Christmas to Independence day. Pre-kids, of course we didn't celebrate Easter. But since the kids were old enough to learn about it from friends (Easter egg hunts, bunny rabbits, easter baskets, big ham dinners) I gave in and we celebrate those aspects of it.

However...I feel like it is wrong. I feel like it is an insult to the Christian religion to take, arguably, your most sacred holiday and bastardize it. My husband thinks I take it too seriously.

Wish Cadbury eggs were kosher for passover.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:

It's not an insult to Christians, it's an insult to Christ. Sadly, there is a difference. Peace

Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
pretty sure there was no bunny on the cross with Jesus, so youre good with celebrating that aspect of it!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:05 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
pretty sure there was no bunny on the cross with Jesus, so youre good with celebrating that aspect of it!
What if there was no Jesus on the cross either?...

Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What if there was no Jesus on the cross either?...
maybe there was, maybe not.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:21 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
It's not an insult to Christians, it's an insult to Christ. Sadly, there is a difference. Peace
Jesus loved a good celebration. I am sure he would have enjoyed coloring eggs, making marshmallows, and chocolate bunnies.

Godzilla rampaged through the Peeps this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity