Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:21 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,900,789 times

Advertisements

I heard a testimony of a person who conquered a substance addiction after leaving Christianity. The person was raised a Christian and for years had faith in Jesus, and also tried for years to use prayer and worship and the faith with helping the addiction.

Now this person associates the addiction with the faith, and has become an atheist.

What do you think of someone who gets better after leaving the Christian faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,197,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard a testimony of a person who conquered a substance addiction after leaving Christianity. The person was raised a Christian and for years had faith in Jesus, and also tried for years to use prayer and worship and the faith with helping the addiction.

Now this person associates the addiction with the faith, and has become an atheist.

I'm more curious to know what you think about your question.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:57 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,616,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
i heard a testimony of a person who conquered a substance addiction after leaving christianity. The person was raised a christian and for years had faith in jesus, and also tried for years to use prayer and worship and the faith with helping the addiction.

what do you think of someone who gets better after leaving the christian faith?
free

Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,077,269 times
Quote:

Christianity , the religion, has never had an answer for addiction.
But the answers for addiction were found within Christianity.

I was atheist until I recovered from alcoholism,
it became untenable when I discovered there is a God and its not me.

A person can leave Christianity without becoming atheist.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 AM

1,196 posts, read 756,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I'm more curious to know what you think about your question.
the dead give a way, was the fact that satan knew this man called himself a Christian, and he prayed. though satan can't read minds, he does hear and see whatever humans do/ did. we may have forgotten ,but he hasn't! after all, he was at an Angel.

Jesus told us who to pray to ,(Matt. 6:9),and the right way to pray ,(John 14:6). this can hinder ones prayer from being heard. remember ,even the Israelites prayers wasn't Heard ,(at first), when they disobeyed Jehovah God.

sometimes we have to check ourselves, before we start saying, God didn't help. it might be us who brought certain situations upon ourselves ,(Pro.19:3- The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD). by being lovers of the world and the things in it ,(1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him).

also his faith wasn't strong enough, because if it were, he would have know that God answers when he feel the time is right, NOT when we want him to ,(Psa. 135:6). satan knew all of this, so all he had to do was make this man feel as though God had abandoned him. which in turn, would lead this man into actually abandoning God.

once satan had done this, then he makes himself seem as the Angel of light ,(2Cor. 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light). satan who's actually to blame for the sickness of mankind, can also removed it... for a minute! this is why this man believes it happened once he became an Atheist. sadly satan won again!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:35 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,063,301 times
What KIND of a Christian was he? CERTAIN kinds think it's ok to get drunk, and we've seen on here there are others that advocate certain drug use, so therefore I imagine getting set free of alcohol or other addiction under their auspices would be nigh impossible. Peace

Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,354,759 times
OP, the only thing it means is the person finally got serious about giving up their addiction, nothing more.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:

What did they replace their addiction with?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,252,379 times
You don't have to be an addict to feel better after leaving Christianity.

I, and many, many millions of ex-Christians can attest to that.

But good on that person for overcoming a problem, with or without a god-belief.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You don't have to be an addict to feel better after leaving Christianity.

I, and many, many millions of ex-Christians can attest to that.

But good on that person for overcoming a problem, with or without a god-belief.
It really depends on what you call a "Christian", or what you're leaving. There are many things said and done in the name of Christ that have little to do with him. And yes, it can be very freeing to leave that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity