Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:34 PM

331 posts, read 316,352 times

Advertisements

Here is a new fluff piece from Scientific American by genial atheist apologist Michael Shermer in which he promotes his new book and argues that you could not really be "you" in an afterlife because "you" is too intrinsically tied to who and what you are in this body on this earth: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...really-be-you/

This basic argument has been around for ages. Some secular philosophers have long argued that the concept of a disembodied "you" is simply unintelligible, incoherent, unworthy of discussion.

Of course, this is almost an axiom for an atheist (naturalistic materialist). By definition, "you" must be intrinsically tied to your body. Even if consciousness is a mysterious "emergent property" of the brain (whatever that means), it will eventually be shown to be entirely naturalistic and materialistic.

I've never really understood the philosophical objection. If the mind is the "real me" and exists independent of the brain, then I have no more difficulty believing I will remain the "real me" in the spiritual realm than in Australia. Yes, being disembodied (if that were the case) and in an entirely different environment (if that were the case) might be disorienting at first, but I have no difficulty imagining myself as the essential me in that situation.

Christians, of course, believe that we will eventually inhabit a resurrection body that, like Jesus', in some ways resembles our earthly body and in some ways does not. In fact, it is quite astounding that Paul anticipated these philosophical objections in one of his earliest letters (1 Corinthians 15):
So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.
In typical "atheist speak" Shermer concludes: "If this sounds dispiriting, it is just the opposite. Awareness of our mortality is uplifting because it means that every moment, every day and every relationship matters. Engaging deeply with the world and with other sentient beings brings meaning and purpose."

Well, OK. It seems obvious to me that believing you are a creature of God in a God-created universe with the possibility of eternal life in God's kingdom is far more "uplifting" and brings far more "meaning and purpose" to life. But atheists must find their meaning and purpose where they can, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 03:24 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,035,424 times
The soul is indeed the conscious mind which will remember the past , which Jesus Holy Spirit will protect His souls through the afterlife , where the spirit without God which will survive the passing of the body people who do not have Jesus protection their soul will die , and their spirit will not die but will be displaced from God , and a spirit without a soul is looked down on by God , and a spirit without a soul would have very limited conscious of the past ............ Even though any wicked ideas which the people of God may hold will be surrendered before God , or the people would be lost to God , as Heaven is called to be bliss were there will be No demonic spirit influencing people in heaven like as on the earth , so it will be easy not to sin ...........

Old 06-23-2017, 08:06 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Of course, I'll be "me" in Heaven. Who else could I possibly be? I will have a perfect, immortal, resurrected body and will be recognizable to all who knew me here on earth. That body, however, will no longer be subject to disease, injury or death.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,253,358 times
Is there another side of me? Perhaps some are thinking of reincarnation in the spiritual world?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:43 AM

465 posts, read 236,410 times
Default Will you be "you" in heaven?

Thus far there has been a discussion per will one be themselves in heaven. Thank you to those who participated, it is food for thought to think at what's been given, immortality can be attained.

This is going in a direction a little bit different from the original discussion intended, but there is a reason why for that, because the church has not been where it could be in the spiritual realm.

It runs short of where it could be, and this goes for the whole pagan community, the atheists, the political advertisers, the nationalists, let us see that God intends the Earth to be occupied by Heaven.

If one dies out to themselves, placing all the trust they have in the eternal Father, God will reveal himself to them, as also what is required of them to find a deeper place inside of his Kingdom.

There are no deficiencies as to what God is able to do, although several spins may be placed upon the believers themselves, or by others, that they must continue to wait on something.

This could be in the form of doubt, or those who come to disparage the flock as they struggle to find a deeper realm with their Savior, even pastors subjected to maintaining a standard of living.

There is a most beautiful story available, where the subject is the rash treatment of a horse by its owner, who is also part of God's church, since, if just for a single reason, Jesus included them.

Meaning the horse is part of his church, but the owner wasn't, seeing how his ill treatment of a horse he had used to profit from, failed to be able to continue to do duty of work in that realm.

Here is the story, and the idea is, what wonderful works the church could be doing in just the realm of relieving all the sick, all the poor as trust in God increases, what matters more than healing?

Essene New Testament Section 3

Love of God, love of others, including the creatures he created, left so often in vulnerable places, the homeless, the government is upon the Christ's shoulders, and so what can't be accomplished through him?

Where is heaven at, since Earth is Christ's footstool, the abandonment of death, the last enemy to put under, as death has been a reality of even the Christian world, Heaven on Earth is possible, as all of Hell is removed from Christ's Kingdom.

My own prayer, thank you for reading:

Our Father who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy Name, thy Kingdom come on Earth as it is in Heaven, Amen.

You said the Earth is your footstool, that you went to the cross to buy our redemption, that all power to you is given.

Isaiah 9:6, Genesis 1, Revelation 21-22, in the name of Jesus Christ, the abandonment of death's works will be done.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,852,570 times
I believe so, yes. My question to the author regarding this quote:

Quote:
"If this sounds dispiriting, it is just the opposite. Awareness of our mortality is uplifting because it means that every moment, every day and every relationship matters. Engaging deeply with the world and with other sentient beings brings meaning and purpose."
Why cant there be both? Both engaging deeply in this world, and with other sentient beings, while hoping expectantly for life after we die?

Old 06-24-2017, 02:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,418,445 times
Will I be me?
Well, um, yeah....but I was a gambler in the 1870s, and an Am Indian warrior and an Am Ind squaw and countless personalities, male, young and old and stupid...but in all of them...I was 'me'.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:25 PM

63,897 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Default Will you be "you" in heaven?

Of course, who else would I be???

Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,734,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Here is a new fluff piece from Scientific American by genial atheist apologist Michael Shermer in which he promotes his new book and argues that you could not really be "you" in an afterlife because "you" is too intrinsically tied to who and what you are in this body on this earth: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...really-be-you/

This basic argument has been around for ages. Some secular philosophers have long argued that the concept of a disembodied "you" is simply unintelligible, incoherent, unworthy of discussion.

Of course, this is almost an axiom for an atheist (naturalistic materialist). By definition, "you" must be intrinsically tied to your body. Even if consciousness is a mysterious "emergent property" of the brain (whatever that means), it will eventually be shown to be entirely naturalistic and materialistic.

I've never really understood the philosophical objection. If the mind is the "real me" and exists independent of the brain, then I have no more difficulty believing I will remain the "real me" in the spiritual realm than in Australia. Yes, being disembodied (if that were the case) and in an entirely different environment (if that were the case) might be disorienting at first, but I have no difficulty imagining myself as the essential me in that situation.

Christians, of course, believe that we will eventually inhabit a resurrection body that, like Jesus', in some ways resembles our earthly body and in some ways does not. In fact, it is quite astounding that Paul anticipated these philosophical objections in one of his earliest letters (1 Corinthians 15):
So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.
In typical "atheist speak" Shermer concludes: "If this sounds dispiriting, it is just the opposite. Awareness of our mortality is uplifting because it means that every moment, every day and every relationship matters. Engaging deeply with the world and with other sentient beings brings meaning and purpose."

Well, OK. It seems obvious to me that believing you are a creature of God in a God-created universe with the possibility of eternal life in God's kingdom is far more "uplifting" and brings far more "meaning and purpose" to life. But atheists must find their meaning and purpose where they can, I guess.
HUm then what say he? . if you aren't a "you" in heaven then you won't be a "you" in hell either .. what is is all the hullabaloo about hell then if what he thinks is true ?
BUT if you is rewarded with a "your own "/ your soul in heaven , SO then you could also be condemned as a" your own " /soul in hell . so truth is the Lord says clearly , we all get to pick one or the other by our faith and our action. SO by what we have treasured up and where we put that treasure ,proved true by our actions which speak louder than words do.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:55 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Heaven was never a destination, but a place to thinnk from. A complete mystery to bible fundamentalists who love blood and sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity