Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:05 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneVanderbilt View Post
I've often wondered this myself. As a child, I guess I was somewhat comforted with the notion of "being with your loved ones in Heaven after you die." As an adult, however, I think would I really want to be hanging out with my parents in the afterlife? One was a believer and the other an unbeliever. If I saw them, or one of them, would they be a parent to me? I'm an adult and don't need to be parented any longer. How would they look to me (at what age)? I would guess if we made it to Heaven, we would no longer have a sin nature where we are self-conscious of this. For example, when you see your loved ones, you have no memory of offences or resentments to impede your relationship as you would on the earth. I'd take more comfort in being just a spirit living in God's presence for eternity, worshiping Him. When I think of having a resurrected body, I get too bogged down with what age I would appear, and silly things like that.

I'm a believer but I struggle with the concept because of being so limited.
Check out David Jeremiah's book "Answers to Your Questions about Heaven". I think it will go along way to answering your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 AM

331 posts, read 315,985 times
Quote:
I've often wondered this myself. As a child, I guess I was somewhat comforted with the notion of "being with your loved ones in Heaven after you die." As an adult, however, I think would I really want to be hanging out with my parents in the afterlife? One was a believer and the other an unbeliever. If I saw them, or one of them, would they be a parent to me? I'm an adult and don't need to be parented any longer. How would they look to me (at what age)? I would guess if we made it to Heaven, we would no longer have a sin nature where we are self-conscious of this. For example, when you see your loved ones, you have no memory of offences or resentments to impede your relationship as you would on the earth. I'd take more comfort in being just a spirit living in God's presence for eternity, worshiping Him. When I think of having a resurrected body, I get too bogged down with what age I would appear, and silly things like that.

I'm a believer but I struggle with the concept because of being so limited.
Those are all legitimate concerns. We will have a redeemed nature and, while I don't think any of us can picture exactly how that might "work," it is safe to say that past hurts and resentments will have vanished like mist. The expectation that it will be "better than anything we can now imagine" is part of the excitement of being a Christian. Even survivors of Near Death Experiences consistently report that what they experienced cannot be described in human terms. You hear things like, "The colors were alive. I know that doesn't sound right, but they were somehow alive."

This is considerably off the Christian path, but I do recall reading Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Lives Between Lives by Michael Newton (a huge best-seller), in which some individuals described "soul groups" of people who pass through lifetimes together, not necessarily as relatives. One woman described seeing her father, with whom she had not had a particularly close relationship. They just sort of waved at each other in passing because, even as her father, he had not actually been part of her soul group. As a Christian, I'm not endorsing Newton's book - but even in this lifetime I can pinpoint perhaps 25 people who clearly seem to have appeared in my life for some spiritual purpose (sometimes as a negative example or harsh learning experience for me), and no more than a couple of them were relatives.

Anyway, I feel 100% sure that being bored, uncomfortable or unattractive is not something we're going to have to worry about in the afterlife. I have had a number of After Death Communications involving both people and pets - and invariably, as with almost all ADCs, the deceased appear absolutely radiant, looking not unrecognizable but far better than they ever did in life.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Those are all legitimate concerns. We will have a redeemed nature and, while I don't think any of us can picture exactly how that might "work," it is safe to say that past hurts and resentments will have vanished like mist. The expectation that it will be "better than anything we can now imagine" is part of the excitement of being a Christian. Even survivors of Near Death Experiences consistently report that what they experienced cannot be described in human terms. You hear things like, "The colors were alive. I know that doesn't sound right, but they were somehow alive."

This is considerably off the Christian path, but I do recall reading Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Lives Between Lives by Michael Newton (a huge best-seller), in which some individuals described "soul groups" of people who pass through lifetimes together, not necessarily as relatives. One woman described seeing her father, with whom she had not had a particularly close relationship. They just sort of waved at each other in passing because, even as her father, he had not actually been part of her soul group. As a Christian, I'm not endorsing Newton's book - but even in this lifetime I can pinpoint perhaps 25 people who clearly seem to have appeared in my life for some spiritual purpose (sometimes as a negative example or harsh learning experience for me), and no more than a couple of them were relatives.

Anyway, I feel 100% sure that being bored, uncomfortable or unattractive is not something we're going to have to worry about in the afterlife. I have had a number of After Death Communications involving both people and pets - and invariably, as with almost all ADCs, the deceased appear absolutelyay for cancer radiant, looking not unrecognizable but far better than they ever did in life.
A few years back, one of the ladies who worked at our church passed away from cancer. We loved her dearly and still miss her. One of our pastors had a dream where he talked to her. She described heaven to him by saying, "This place is awesome!"

Old 06-25-2017, 11:23 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Will you be "you" in heaven?

Yes and no (in context of speaking about the believer will occupy heaven) as God defines us as:
  • "those on the right of Jesus"
  • "the righteous"
  • "the wheat"
  • "the sheep"
  • "those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."

Yes: Job 19
I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another.
No: 1 Corinthians 15
we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet.
For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.
For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.

Rev 21
" ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain,
for the old order of things has passed away.' ”

Blinded by the Light.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Will you be "you" in heaven?

Yes and no (in context of speaking about the believer will occupy heaven) as God defines us as:
  • "those on the right of Jesus"
  • "the righteous"
  • "the wheat"
  • "the sheep"
  • "those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."

Yes: Job 19
I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another.
No: 1 Corinthians 15
we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet.
For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.
For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.

Rev 21
" ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain,
for the old order of things has passed away.' ”

Old 06-25-2017, 06:32 PM

115 posts, read 96,322 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Check out David Jeremiah's book "Answers to Your Questions about Heaven". I think it will go along way to answering your questions.
Thank you, I will.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Thank you, I will.
Another really enlightening book on the subject is called, "A Travel Guide to Heaven." Yes, I'm a Mormon, and no, it's not written by a Mormon.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:04 PM

186 posts, read 131,887 times
Revelation 21 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away.”

We are perfect in heaven so God will be rid of our sinful flesh. We are not attached to our sinful flesh in heaven

Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Heaven was never a destination, but a place to thinnk from. A complete mystery to bible fundamentalists who love blood and sacrifice.
that assumes "you think" something true for yourself or anything true without help of heaven or hell( yes satan can use truth also ) .
sacrifice... No bone or blood required , that is all in your head . the loss of your soul requires no blood or bone and your kingdom you worship that you invested your life building up , it requires just as many sacrifices or more. It appears you just don't seem to mind the cost or the consequences of those sacrifices for what it is you value most .

you know someday you might regret all
that you sacrificed for all your own kingdoms "you think" you rule. so what if it is all an illusion , and your not really ruling it, thus you are not doing the "thinking" are you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity