Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:42 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times

Advertisements

I came across an audio sermon by puritan Anthony Burgess on the difficulty of salvation, while I was listening I couldn't help but thinking about the many on this forum that are deceived in thinking everybody will be saved.

"What are those considerations that make salvation so easy to a man's natural thoughts? The first is, a representation of God altogether pitiful and merciful, without taking notice of his purity and his justice. That he is a God who will not acquit the guilty. This half representation of God to a man's heart makes him thus confident. Men argue, how can we think God who says he willed not the death of a sinner, who says 'Why will ye die o house of Israel', who has put pity into man's hearts? Shall not much more be a fountain when streams are so plentiful? This has been aggravated so much, that it has been an opinion of some that it last all man, ye and devils also shall be saved, but the Scripture speaks of Gods sting aswell as his honey. Of his furiousness aswell as his pity, the Scripture speaks of his rejoicing in the destruction of the wicked, aswell as pitying them. Do not therefore deceive your own soul."

Here is the sermon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpGDK_e-K0

The question I want to ask you, is salvation really that easy? Is going to heaven an automatic security for everyone? In many places the Scripture speaks on the extreme difficulty of salvation:

Mark 10:23-27 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

1 Peter 4:17-18 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

I am affraid many of us, here on this forum, are walking the broad way Jesus talks about, that leads to destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
When you see and understand that salvation from eternal hell was never taught in the scriptures, but conceived within a man who subtly supported it by the scriptures and eloquently convinced the masses, you then begin to be open to the idea Salvation is always in the now.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I came across an audio sermon by puritan Anthony Burgess on the difficulty of salvation, while I was listening I couldn't help but thinking about the many on this forum that are deceived in thinking everybody will be saved.

"What are those considerations that make salvation so easy to a man's natural thoughts? The first is, a representation of God altogether pitiful and merciful, without taking notice of his purity and his justice. That he is a God who will not acquit the guilty. This half representation of God to a man's heart makes him thus confident. Men argue, how can we think God who says he willed not the death of a sinner, who says 'Why will ye die o house of Israel', who has put pity into man's hearts? Shall not much more be a fountain when streams are so plentiful? This has been aggravated so much, that it has been an opinion of some that it last all man, ye and devils also shall be saved, but the Scripture speaks of Gods sting aswell as his honey. Of his furiousness aswell as his pity, the Scripture speaks of his rejoicing in the destruction of the wicked, aswell as pitying them. Do not therefore deceive your own soul."

Here is the sermon:

The question I want to ask you, is salvation really that easy? Is going to heaven an automatic security for everyone? In many places the Scripture speaks on the extreme difficulty of salvation:

Mark 10:23-27 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

1 Peter 4:17-18 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

I am affraid many of us, here on this forum, are walking the broad way Jesus talks about, that leads to destruction.
As Christ said t the thief--

In my Father's house there are many rooms..

Today, you will be with me in paradise..

Does it get any easier?

Old 06-25-2017, 03:06 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
The difficult part of salvation is understanding that you are a sinner in need of a savior.

Luke 18

The Pharisee and the Publican

9 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.†-Jesus

Old 06-25-2017, 03:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:

Here is the sermon:

I am afraid many of us, here on this forum, are walking the broad way Jesus talks about, that leads to destruction.
I realize you are a respecter of persons (self), and of what you believe while passing out your judgments.
However, there is either an after-life or there is not; everyone will be resurrected to life or no one will be.

Universally, we all suffer the same fate, no one is above or below anyone else.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:17 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:

Here is the sermon:

The kingdom of God is not about going to "heaven" Jesus did not come to spread the message that the only thing to do is believe on him and become a Christian to get to heaven. His message was about the kingdom of God and telling the Jews it is in their midst and they were to repent so they could enjoy the kingdom prophecied. God has a plan for all humanity and it focuses on Israel 'the seed'

Old 06-25-2017, 09:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
When you realize no one needs "salvation," you free yourself from religious shackles and can just concentrate on trying to be a net benefit to the universe.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Default The difficulty of salvation

All the difficulty of salvation was incurred by Jesus! We are saved by His achievement. We have nothing to do with our salvation. Our task is sanctification under His perfect grace through the love of God and each other every day and repentance when we don't.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:27 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The kingdom of God is not about going to "heaven" Jesus did not come to spread the message that the only thing to do is believe on him and become a Christian to get to heaven. His message was about the kingdom of God and telling the Jews it is in their midst and they were to repent so they could enjoy the kingdom prophecied. God has a plan for all humanity and it focuses on Israel 'the seed'
According to Jesus Christ heaven is where we should lay up our treasure, heaven is what our hearts should be aimed for, so I don't know what you are trying to say exactly, but I am gonna trust and follow the Lord Jesus Christ and His teachings rather than yours.

Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
Everybody need salvation through Jesus Christ , and Jesus is gracious to give salvation to anyone who repents and seeks God , and seeks out Christians who know God .... People who ignore the call for salvation will be displaced by God and their spirit will die at the great judgement at the end of time ..... People who sought after God and find Him will live in heaven in total bliss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity