Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,194,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Weird how John 3 doesn't actually say that. One really has to do some reading into the text to get that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Here is what John 3 says the "condemnation/judgment" is:

"And this is the judgement: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”
Quote:
You remind me of Vizio. I think you very well might BE Vizio. Nothing dishonest in my saying that, but you claiming it is, is a convenient way for you to avoid the point. The passage you referred to, claiming that "condemned/judged already" means people are headed to eternal torment, actually defines exactly what the judgment is and nowhere does it say anything about eternal torment. So, would you like to acknowledge that you are reading things into the text that are not actually there?
Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 04:16 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,054,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well done.
Considering the entire chapter is about a person being evil in nature, and unable to entering God's Kingdom on their own....what was well done? Read the ENTIRE chapter and it proves my point.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:24 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Considering the entire chapter is about a person being evil in nature, and unable to entering God's Kingdom on their own....what was well done? Read the ENTIRE chapter and it proves my point.
Nothing about eternal torment in the passage. You have brought that assumption into your reading of it.

Now, BF has informed me that I am on his ignore list, so someone else will have to respond to him if they feel it's worth the time. I'm okay either way.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:29 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing about eternal torment in the passage. You have brought that assumption into your reading of it.
Pleroo has shown that your point is NOT there. Where do you read anything about eternal torment there?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:31 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,054,226 times
Quote:
Pleroo has shown that your point is NOT there. Where do you read anything about eternal torment there?
It's in the greater context of the Bible. WHat happens to unregenerate people? THey are not saved, and they go to hell.

In any event, I'm done with this conversation. I'm not taking this farther. I've made my point, and that's that.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:35 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
It's in the greater context of the Bible. WHat happens to unregenerate people? THey are not saved, and they go to hell.

In any event, I'm done with this conversation. I'm not taking this farther. I've made my point, and that's that.

The point is, that BF and others insist that someone that does not believe that passage is speaking of eternal torment is reading their own beliefs into the text and that those who DO believe in eternal torment are giving it a "plain reading".**

The truth is, that both eternal torment believers, and those who do not accept such a doctrine, believe as they do based on a GREATER CONTEXT, and interpret the passage accordingly. There is no "plain reading" higher ground here.

Quote:
Weird how John 3 doesn't actually say that. One really has to do some reading into the text to get that.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:48 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,818,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
righteousness]Armor, or Clothing
peace and joy]Land
the holy spirit]Fruits.

Just though id compliment what you gave.
in addition. something of a double variable.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

14 Stand firm then, with the
belt of truth buckled around your waist,
with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15
and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this,
take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:
Do you know what John 3 is talking about? The whole chapter? I haven't seen any indication that you do.
Yes I do God sent his son to lift the condemnation from the people by manifesting the goodness of God the true nature and character of God (not the condemnation of God) that causes us to repent, and to all who are believing they Begin to develop the thoughts and ways of God by the transformation of the renewal of the mind so that they no longer miss the mark but hit the mark which is eternal life.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
Fundies need hell like junkies need smack.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,401,549 times
Quote:

Now, BF has informed me that I am on his ignore list, so someone else will have to respond to him if they feel it's worth the time. I'm okay either way.
There is no such thing as eternal torment or punishment anywhere is the Scriptures.
You would have to read that into the book itself, and deny that you are doing that.

But I find it extremely amusing that the BabtistFundie never refuted being VIZIO.
And making the ignore list is a compliment in my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity