Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM

692 posts, read 375,228 times

Advertisements

Old Testament: Psalm 2:7 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

"I will tell of the decree of the LORD:
He said to me, “You are my son;
today I have begotten you."

This was said to King David, about 1000 BC.

But John 3:16, writing about Jesus, reads "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

“Begotten" translates the Greek word monogenes or first born.

But Jesus was not the ONLY begotten son of God nor the first to be born. John 3:16 is in error.
The Book of Psalms was written long before Jesus’ birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,870 times
rotf
and you are so sure he wasn't speaking about and to the seed in that tunic right ?

and I believe that promised seed in David was David at that point . thus conveying a promise.
Just as the right arm is still the Father before he came as a man and of that same seed in that tunic.. and that right arm is still the right arm of the Father but in a man. and the seed is still Of David. you can't separate it if God didn't separate it in thought .
rotf.. the whole context is of family and descent.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:08 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Read the Bible. Christ was BEFORE Abraham. Christ was BEFORE Adam, for what it matters.
Thereafter, every human being is God's begotten son.
Son that went astray and needs to return back to its father.

Addendum.
"god" is pleased with Christ because MAN Jesus returned back to "god" and became "Christ the son"
Do same and "god" will be "pleased" with you too.

OP, you do understand that trying to verbally convey matters of such depth as enlightenment, to lay minds, requires some sort of reasonably understandable language and terms?
Do a simple test. Send help request to say Microsoft. Then sit and ponder over the response. It is well understood by programmers but will it be understood by average PC user? But call a child and it will tell you - you go here, do this, click on that, done. THAT one WILL understand.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 AM

692 posts, read 375,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
rotf
and you are so sure he wasn't speaking about and to the seed in that tunic right ?

and I believe that promised seed in David was David at that point . thus conveying a promise.
Just as the right arm is still the Father before he came as a man and of that same seed in that tunic.. and that right arm is still the right arm of the Father but in a man. and the seed is still Of David. you can't separate it if God didn't separate it in thought .
RESPONSE:

Evidently, you are missing the point. It can be shown that so-called "God-breathed" scripture is in error.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

God had quite a number of persons that are referred as his sons. Not only one.

And of course John's "inspired" gospel is in error as with having Jesus crucified on the Day of Preparation rather than the Passover. And also omitting any claim of a eucharist at the Last Supper.

And the story of the forgiveness of the woman taken in adultery didn't get added to John 's gospel until the 4th century.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:20 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
<snipped> And the story of the forgiveness of the woman taken in adultery didn't get added to John 's gospel until the 4th century.

It seems to me that story is more God-breathed than many other things recorded in the bible.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:

But John 3:16, writing about Jesus, reads "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

But Jesus was not the ONLY begotten son of God nor the first to be born. John 3:16 is in error.
No, John 3:16 is not in error. You don't understand the context of either John 3:16 or Psalm 2.

Scholar F. F. Bruce, citing E. Voegelin, A. Bentzen, and S. Mowinvkel in their respective books notes that it has been suggested that Psalm 2 preserves the text of a coronation liturgy used by the Davidic Dynasty.

Quoting Bruce concerning the suggestions regarding Psalm 2,
''So far as the form is concerned, we recognize here the language which was widely used in enthronement ceremonies throughout the ancient Near East. Thus Voegelin (Order, p.305) quotes parallels from the Pyramid texts: ''This is my son, my firstborn. . . . This is my beloved, with whom I have been satisfied'' (1a-b), and ''This is my beloved, my son; I have given the horizons to him, that he may be powerful over them like Harachte'' (4a-b).''

The Epistle of Hebrews, F. F. Bruce, p.53
Bruce then goes on to say that as is the case of much that was said of the Davidic dynasty, it was believed that what is said in Psalm 2 would be ultimately be fulfilled by the Messiah of David's line.

Acts 13:33 quotes Psalm 2:7 and applies it to Jesus after His resurrection.
Acts 13:33 that God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus, as it is also written in the second Psalm, 'YOU ARE MY SON; TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU.' 34] "As for the fact that He raised Him up from the dead, no longer to return to decay, He has spoken in this way: 'I WILL GIVE YOU THE HOLY and SURE blessings OF DAVID.' [NASB]

Luke tells us that Jesus will be called the Son of God (the Most High), and that God will give Him the throne of David.
Luke 1:32 "He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David;

Psalm 2:7 then finds it's ultimate fulfillment in Jesus, when He returns and establishes His Millennial kingdom on the earth.
Psalm 2:7 "I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.

In Daniel 7:13-14 Daniel writes of his vision in which the Ancient of Days (God the Father) gives the kingdoms of the world to the Son of Man.
Dan. 7:13 "I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him. 14] "And to Him was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, That all the peoples, nations and men of every language Might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion Which will not pass away; And His kingdom is one Which will not be destroyed.

Again therefore, Psalm 2:7 has reference to the fact that the Davidic Messiah, who is Jesus, will be king over the kingdoms of the earth.

On the other hand, John 3:16 refers to Jesus as literally, μονογενής - monogenes; the uniquely born one. Some translations translate it as (only begotten).

Monogenes is defined as;
1. pert. to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship, one and only, only.

2. pert. to being the only one of its kind or class, unique (in kind).

A Greek- English Lexicon of the New Testament (BDAG), third edition, p.658.
Psalm 2:7 and John 3:16 have reference to Jesus in different ways and John 3:16 does not contradict Psalm 2:7. Jesus is both the unique Son of God in an eternal sense with regard to the unique Father/Son relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity, and also with regard to the fact of His virgin birth into the human race.

As the angel Gabriel told Mary,
Luke 1:35 The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
Jesus is the Son in a way which is unique from all others.

Context matters. You cannot properly interpret the Bible without understanding the context.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
rotf

Wow, you're such a good and nice Christian...This is usually what those of ignorance do instead of discussing it...

Old 03-13-2017, 03:40 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No, John 3:16 is not in error. You don't understand the context of either John 3:16 or Psalm 2.

Scholar F. F. Bruce, citing E. Voegelin, A. Bentzen, and S. Mowinvkel in their respective books notes that it has been suggested that Psalm 2 preserves the text of a coronation liturgy used by the Davidic Dynasty.

Quoting Bruce concerning the suggestions regarding Psalm 2,
''So far as the form is concerned, we recognize here the language which was widely used in enthronement ceremonies throughout the ancient Near East. Thus Voegelin (Order, p.305) quotes parallels from the Pyramid texts: ''This is my son, my firstborn. . . . This is my beloved, with whom I have been satisfied'' (1a-b), and ''This is my beloved, my son; I have given the horizons to him, that he may be powerful over them like Harachte'' (4a-b).''

The Epistle of Hebrews, F. F. Bruce, p.53
Bruce then goes on to say that as is the case of much that was said of the Davidic dynasty, it was believed that what is said in Psalm 2 would be ultimately be fulfilled by the Messiah of David's line.

Acts 13:33 quotes Psalm 2:7 and applies it to Jesus after His resurrection.
Acts 13:33 that God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus, as it is also written in the second Psalm, 'YOU ARE MY SON; TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU.' 34] "As for the fact that He raised Him up from the dead, no longer to return to decay, He has spoken in this way: 'I WILL GIVE YOU THE HOLY and SURE blessings OF DAVID.' [NASB]

Luke tells us that Jesus will be called the Son of God (the Most High), and that God will give Him the throne of David.
Luke 1:32 "He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David;

Psalm 2:7 then finds it's ultimate fulfillment in Jesus, when He returns and establishes His Millennial kingdom on the earth.
Psalm 2:7 "I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.

In Daniel 7:13-14 Daniel writes of his vision in which the Ancient of Days (God the Father) gives the kingdoms of the world to the Son of Man.
Dan. 7:13 "I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him. 14] "And to Him was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, That all the peoples, nations and men of every language Might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion Which will not pass away; And His kingdom is one Which will not be destroyed.

Again therefore, Psalm 2:7 has reference to the fact that the Davidic Messiah, who is Jesus, will be king over the kingdoms of the earth.

On the other hand, John 3:16 refers to Jesus as literally, μονογενής - monogenes; the uniquely born one. Some translations translate it as (only begotten).

Monogenes is defined as;
1. pert. to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship, one and only, only.

2. pert. to being the only one of its kind or class, unique (in kind).

A Greek- English Lexicon of the New Testament (BDAG), third edition, p.658.
Psalm 2:7 and John 3:16 have reference to Jesus in different ways and John 3:16 does not contradict Psalm 2:7. Jesus is both the unique Son of God in an eternal sense with regard to the unique Father/Son relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity, and also with regard to the fact of His virgin birth into the human race.

As the angel Gabriel told Mary,
Luke 1:35 The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
Jesus is the Son in a way which is unique from all others.

Context matters. You cannot properly interpret the Bible without understanding the context.
So?...Bruce, Bruce, Bruce!...Do you have anything original?...

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM

125 posts, read 87,020 times
Quote:

The first clue that you are mistaken if all you look at is verse 7, is that he said this to an adult not a zygote in the womb therefore it is a figure of speech akin to adoption*. The day my Father signed the adoption papers for my sister is the day he in that sense of bring about, begot her. Which is what all of human sons and daughters are by faith with the love exception of the One mentioned in John.

*" [SIZE=2]4 [/SIZE]But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, [SIZE=2]5 [/SIZE]in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children." Gal4 NASB

Old 03-13-2017, 06:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Some people don't understand the concept of prophecy. David is not mentioned in Psalm 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity