Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:29 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

With so many different denominations and doctrines out there, its like everyone has an a differing opinion the same exact book with the same text telling the same history, but somehow come to a different conclusion when they claimed to be led by the same holy spirit.

You can same something like he is walking North on Broadway and the only 2 conclusions you can get from that statement is walking north on Broadway or walking on Broadway, but a theologian would probably come along and say he could have been walking east or west on Broadway because we dont know if he was walking sideways or not or what does it matter, as long as he was on Broadway. This type of approach is used too much with scriptures.

So what doctrines were you taught in the church, but you no longer believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
So what doctrines were you taught in the church, but you no longer believe?
Most of them.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
I grew up in the church, believing in purgatory and that I had to have a priest to intercede for me.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM

I would say i changed my mind on Pre-Trib Rapture

Tithing is 10% of your income

Burning in hell for eternity

Good Friday

God gave Christians the okay to eat unclean foods

You go to Heaven when you die

Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I would say i changed my mind on Pre-Trib Rapture

Tithing is 10% of your income

Burning in hell for eternity

Good Friday

God gave Christians the okay to eat unclean foods

You go to Heaven when you die
What sides of those did you hold,and what side currently?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Tithing was required. I now believe otherwise.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What sides of those did you hold,and what side currently?
Pre-Trib Rapture- more for a Post Trib rapture now, considering Matthew 24 says Jesus is returning after he tribulation and there is no 3rd coming of Christ, so a pretrib is kind ruled out for me.

Tithing is 10% of your income- tithing was food only, but I still believe in free will offerings, just not that if I dont give a mandatory 10% net , that im robbing God. Cant say law is abolished or that was for Israel, but hold on to the tithe.

Burning in hell for eternity- John 3 says shall not perish, but have eternal life and if one is burning in hell for eternity, then they have eternal life, just one in which they suffer. To perish means to die and be no more.

Good Friday- 3days/3nights or even 3 days cant come from 24hr-26hr period. I asked about that in church growing up and all they could say is I know know, it was how the Jews counted time.

God gave Christians the okay to eat unclean foods- when I read all the scripture on this issue in context, I realize modern Christianity was taking it all out of context to come to the conclusion that the dietary laws were abolished. Makes no sense God would create us and tell us what was meant to be food and what wasnt , then turn around and tell Christians, just disregard that and eat whatever. Just looking at the purpose of all the unclean animals makes sense why God said dont eat them. I know bacon and ribs are great, but its not the end of the world if I cut it 99% out of my diet.

You go to Heaven when you die- Jesus said no one has ascended except him and even Acts said David didnt ascend when he died, so I pretty much think we die and wait for the resurrection.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Most of them.
Yep.

Original sin, imo, is just stupid.

The whole concept of needing "salvation" from some sin committed by imaginary people in the long-ago and far-away is just stupid.

Following some one, or some belief system which emphasizes positivity and growth and tolerance can do no harm and is not stupid.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:12 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
I used to believe that God is an angry God.
I used to believe Jesus was not God.
I used to believe if I sinned, then God will stop loving me and will run away from him. The opposite is true and he loves people even though they sin, and he want them not to run away from him but run to him even if they fail.
I used to believe that God stopped healing people, but he still heals people today.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yep.

Original sin, imo, is just stupid.

The whole concept of needing "salvation" from some sin committed by imaginary people in the long-ago and far-away is just stupid.

Following some one, or some belief system which emphasizes positivity and growth and tolerance can do no harm and is not stupid.
In regard to orignal sin, at times it made me wonder, why even bother with creation, if everyone after Adam and Eve would be punished for the acts they did and even after the flood, mankind went back to its original ways and is getting worse.

In the end, I think its probably a much bigger picture that will be revealed to us, that we cant just understand right now...it has to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity