Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,038,107 times

Advertisements

What does the Bible really say about this; is it a sin to take another's life to save one's own (or those of others) or not? Man's law makes provisions for it, but I'm not sure God's law does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 03:04 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What does the Bible really say about this; is it a sin to take another's life to save one's own (or those of others) or not? Man's law makes provisions for it, but I'm not sure God's law does.
No. The 10 Commandments say not to murder. That is different from killing, as God even commanded the Israelites to kill for reasons of justice, and to take possession of the promised land.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,038,107 times
"Do not kill," as I recall the commandment.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,062,004 times
Quote:
Luke 22:35-36 sheds light on this:

"Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. “Now, however, He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one."

The logic here is inescapable. If one is not supposed to defend oneself, then why buy a sword?

Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
Keep in prayer and never have fear , and always pray for traveling mercies , and there will be no need to kill for self defense , as God will protect you , and if a hazard did come up call the name of Jesus Christ at the assailant for your protection ..... If people live in hostile wicked area ,never fear, as fear will keep the Lord`s hand away

Old 08-03-2017, 05:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,562,496 times
Quote:
"Do not kill," as I recall the commandment.
In 1611, when the King James Version was translated the term kill meant to take a human life without good cause, as in murder, in modern English. Many words have changed meaning in the last 400 years.

I mean think about it. We kill cows and chicken for food. Hunters kill deer.

Receiveth thee a bible translation which beest less than 40 years fusty. Receiveth thyself a mod'rn translation so thee can und'rstand what the bible actually sayeth.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Keep in prayer and never have fear , and always pray for traveling mercies , and there will be no need to kill for self defense , as God will protect you , and if a hazard did come up call the name of Jesus Christ at the assailant for your protection ..... If people live in hostile wicked area ,never fear, as fear will keep the Lord`s hand away
This is bad theology. So what you imply is that Christians who die in battle because they had a tiny bit of fear? Or that Christians who were murdered for their belief in Jesus in Muslim countries lacked the right kind of faith? Or church goers who were killed by a crazy gunman died because of fear!

Name it and claim brother and sister, you shall never never have anything negative in your life if you have the right kind of faith! Yes your parents will never die! Your kids will live perfect lives and never question your faith.

Sorry, but God hasn't set up this world as the name it claim it people proclaim. Ya know, being killed as a Christian is not the worst thing that could happen. And yes I trust God enough that I don't carry a gun all the time. If it is God's will that I die by the hands of a gunman then so be it. If it be God's will that I kill a gunman protecting my family then so be it.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:00 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This is bad theology. So what you imply is that Christians who die in battle because they had a tiny bit of fear? Or that Christians who were murdered for their belief in Jesus in Muslim countries lacked the right kind of faith? Or church goers who were killed by a crazy gunman died because of fear!

Name it and claim brother and sister, you shall never never have anything negative in your life if you have the right kind of faith! Yes your parents will never die! Your kids will live perfect lives and never question your faith.

Sorry, but God hasn't set up this world as the name it claim it people proclaim. Ya know, being killed as a Christian is not the worst thing that could happen. And yes I trust God enough that I don't carry a gun all the time. If it is God's will that I die by the hands of a gunman then so be it. If it be God's will that I kill a gunman protecting my family then so be it.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.

I don't think it's ever "God's will" that ANYONE dies violently at the hand of another person.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.

I don't think it's ever "God's will" that ANYONE dies violently at the hand of another person.
Question. Do you believe God is in control of your life? I would answer yes. Then if I die at the hands of another, is God suddenly not in control of my life? Believe me, better to die from a gun shot (I'm 67) than cancer or live to be 90, demented and alone in this world.

Read 2kings 20 about king Hezikiah who asked God to put His will aside regarding his death. So God did...

Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,941,575 times
God gave animals many forms of self-defense.

This present world is not consumed with and ruled by love.
It is a dangerous world.

If your child were being strangled to death in front of your eyes by a man twice your size, and you had the means to end this man's life before he killed your child... what would you do?
What would any of us do?

God does not ask us to allow others to do us great bodily injury and possibly death and sit back and let it happen. If you are out to harm others, there will be consequences. People take their lives in their hands when they make the choice to attack, rape, maim, or try to murder another human being. If they are killed in the process that was the bed they chose to make and they must lie in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity