Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 PM

15,897 posts, read 6,366,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Just back it up with what God has said in his word...that's all I ask. If you can show me from Scripture that all we need is love....great.

1 Corinthians 13:

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 PM

15,897 posts, read 6,366,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If you don't check into it you won't find out. Just the reaction I have come to expect from you.
Uh oh Nate:

Unhealthy*responses*to*conflict*are*characterized* by:
· An inability to*recognize and*respond*to matters of great importance to the*other*person
· Explosive, angry, hurtful, and*resentful reactions
· The*withdrawal of love,*resulting*in rejection, isolation, shaming, and*fear of
abandonment ·
The*expectation of bad*outcomes
· The*fear and*avoidance of conflict

Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
you stole concepts of Love from God and don't give him credit for giving us the concepts of what love even means in the first place . that is theft not love.. " having knowledge of the truth but denying the power there of"
but with out him the worldly and lawless can't and won't do it anyway or be able to . that is why divorce rates look like they do in America in the first place... and that don't even count true marriage according to the way God designed humanity.
Self sacrifice and selflessness is impossible without his spirit's help.
I have not stolen anything nor have I assigned credit. ALL I have done is say, "What about THIS as process?"

Old 08-04-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Perhaps the moment-by-moment action needed is found in the words of Philippians 2:3-4 which is to do nothing out of egotism, but with humility considering others to be superior to you, and to look out, not only for your own interests, but look out for the interests of others.
Indeed! An outSTANDing basis, but still not taking about the actual actions used to implement it.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Uh oh Nate:

Unhealthy*responses*to*conflict*are*characterized* by:
· An inability to*recognize and*respond*to matters of great importance to the*other*person
· Explosive, angry, hurtful, and*resentful reactions
· The*withdrawal of love,*resulting*in rejection, isolation, shaming, and*fear of
abandonment ·
The*expectation of bad*outcomes
· The*fear and*avoidance of conflict
Yup. I'm not very good at it am I?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,738,956 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEg-_icuKjA some huge truths about real love.. not the fluffy stuff that requires no one to change..or give all of yourself , which is love... even one that is allowing the Lord to restore and heal what was laid down but didn't need to be laid down. maybe it was needed to be laid down on that day and in that time.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEg-_icuKjA some huge truths about real love.. not the fluffy stuff that requires no one to change..or give all of yourself , which is love... even one that is allowing the Lord to restore and heal what was laid down but didn't need to be laid down. maybe it was needed to be laid down on that day and in that time.
Well, yes, This expresses something of what it takes some to get to the place I am talking about, and even some of what it takes to stay in it. Why would you think I was talking about anything else?

BUT.... I am talking about the nuts and bolts of the process of working it out.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,738,956 times
Quote:
Well, yes, This expresses something of what it takes some to get to the place I am talking about, and even some of what it takes to stay in it. Why would you think I was talking about anything else?

BUT.... I am talking about the nuts and bolts of the process of working it out.
he isn't talking about doing it without the Lord and his spirit or his word and or his example from the word.... it is a christian group. one of my favorites..
soft love is not love.. hard love is through the pain it is through change..
you all can call soft/ fat or fluffy love whatever you want but it ain't really love. it is at best like or tolerance or even care....which has nothing to do with love. care ain't love , tolerance ain't love. feelings ain't love..
hard love is real love.. sacrifice is real love.
real love is a choice a resolve, a covenant , not a feeeeeeeling.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:26 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,821,657 times
Quote:
15“If your brother or sisterb sins,c go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’d 17If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

This would be a part of conflict resolution, yes, but it really does begin a little earlier than perception of a "sin." It is being sure that what you see IS "sin, and maybe thinking about what might drive that person that way.
In my experience there are some people that won't listen when you point it out.
And the principle values are hard to apply on a an informal forum.
Typically these values are to be followed in the family. If the family member will not listen you go to someone else in the church outside the family unit.
But there are extreme circumstances where you will eventually have to walk away and set boundaries and rules for the family member who's actions are harmful to themselves or others.
As adults we should be mature enough to address issues with a cordial conversation.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I guess that the issue that we have is that to get your understanding of Christianity, it feels like games are played with the Scriptures. If we believe that God actually inspired those words, and those words are "God-breathed", then we must not take liberty with them. Instead of dancing around the Scripture, just read it as it's written. That's all we ask.
Without even a thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity